SASS Wire Forum

Almost Wild Bunch; A review of four 9mm 1911s.

Jeff (Hud) and Mark, (FJT) hosts of The Gunslinger Hour, a weekly radio show on KABC 790 AM, from behind enemy lines in Los Angeles, put a quartet of 9mm 1911s to the test in this fifteen minute comparo.

Colt, Springfield Armory, Kimber, and Rock Island 9mm 1911's go head to head. You may be surprised by the outcome.

Stay tuned; in the coming weeks, there will be lots of new content; sniper rifles, battle rifles, lever guns, striker-fired pistols, revolvers...and the like.

Cheers,
FJT

Good video, but something was off kilter with that ammo.  In 8 plus years of owning 9mm 1911s, I haven't had as many jams as there was in that video.  My S/A Loaded has not had a jam that wasn't directly caused by my ammunition (I now have two case chamber gauges in 9mm, and every round gets checked).  I've shot it in 3 gun, IDPA and USPSA, and can conservatively say it's round count is well over 10,000.  The LW Officer Model's group was fired from 21 feet, with Speer 124 grain GDHP.  The Dan Wesson has never jammed a single time, nor has the Ruger.  

Springfield Armory Loaded 9mm.jpg

Dan Wesson Guardian.jpg

ruger lw officer first target.jpg

A mix of factory new 115 Gr. loads.  We were as nonplussed by the results as you are; but what you see is what happened.  A backup Springfield also stovepiped several times, as well. Another day; different pistol, maybe different results.

The RIA digested the same ammo without complaint.

Next up; Battle rifles.  Stay tuned.

Cheers,

FJT

I just want one in .38 Super, Nicole plated with fancy Mexican grips before I die. :wub:

I bought a Rock Island in .45 almost ten years ago.  I immediately swapped out the smooth grips for some very nice Double Diamond walnut grips, then I started shopping for some decent magazines.  The ones that came with the gun were very flimsy and I got rid of them almost as soon as I fired it the first time.

Over the next two or three months I spent a lot of time and money on magazines that wouldn't work and finally settled on Colt GI magazines.....and haven't had a failure since.  I don't shoot reloads and haven't had any problem with the piece since I sorted out the magazine problem.  I stumbled onto an .50 ammo can full of surplus mags for $20..00and went through them all.  I dumped eight or nine of them and the rest will last me the rest of my life.

JFWIW, NONE of the super-duper name brand competition mags made the cut.  NOT ONE!, and none of the factory mags from other manufacturers did, either.

Now, if I could only find a holster that works for me.

2 hours ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

A mix of factory new 115 Gr. loads.  We were as nonplussed by the results as you are; but what you see is what happened.  A backup Springfield also stovepiped several times, as well. Another day; different pistol, maybe different results.

Cheers,

FJT

Are all 4 of these guns gotten in the state of California...Remember this state does like everything....

Texas Lizard

I just peeked, and there are currently no Colt self-feeders legal for sale in California.  :angry:

There goes my long-time dream of a 9mm Lightweight Commander.  :(

18 hours ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

Cheers,

FJT

Looked to me like the RIA also had the best group of the bunch.

kR

Had a Springfield 9mm 1911 a few years ago. Used it in IDPA matches. It never gave me any problems. I wish now that I had kept it , but that scenario has played at my house numerous times in the past 60 years or so that I have been owning firearms.:lol:

Rex :D

Tomorrow morning, you can call in and voice your observations or concerns, directly, on The Gunslinger Hour, on KABC 790 AM Radio Los Angeles.  We're there, every Sunday morning, from 7:00-8:00 a.m., Tune in, listen in, and call in, at 1 (800) 222-5222.  

Miss the show?  Listen in for the podcast at: https://gunslingerradio.com/ or https://www.kabc.com/the-gunslinger-hour/

Cheers,
FJT

Archived