SASS Wire Forum

Latest cop question

Alpo

Would the cops routinely run ballistics on any gun they took in?

Now if Hardpan and Utah Bob were enemies, and Bob got whacked with a 45, and they picked up Hardpan for spitting on the sidewalk, and he just happened to be carrying a 45 - then obviously they're going to run ballistics on it to see if it's the murder weapon.

But if they stopped Allie for jaywalking, and she had a 32 in her purse, and there is no evidence of her committing any crime with the gun (except for carrying it because that's generally illegal in California), will they run ballistics on it to see if there might possibly be a match to any 32 anywhere in the country that was used in a shooting?

There's a program called Cease Fire that we submitted guns for ballistic testing.  Basically, we submitted any gun used in a crime to the state crime lab for testing and through ballistics, they could match it to any outstanding unsolved crimes involving that gun.   Gang related drive by shootings were often later matched up to homicides.   Sort of like fingerprints for guns.

If she was legally carrying it there would be no legal justification to seize it. And jaywalking is a civil, non-arrestable offense.

Barring reason to believe the gun was used in a felony, no.  Alabama Forensics requires the submitted firearm have a list of the crimes the gun is suspected to have been involved in.  No fishing expeditions allowed.  

Hashknife Cowboy and LawMan Mark nailed it.  Forensic analysis of firearms and projectiles is expensive and time consuming.  Tight law enforcement budgets require that a good reason be made for analysis, not just "because".

22 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Hashknife Cowboy and LawMan Mark nailed it.  Forensic analysis of firearms and projectiles is expensive and time consuming.  Tight law enforcement budgets require that a good reason be made for analysis, not just "because".

Exactly, a good friend of mine just retired from the Cleveland Police force, he worked the last 10 years of his career in forensics and only test fired guns that were actually used in a crime even if they were fired or not.

KCMOPD if a gun is confiscated, it will be tested. We don't give a rats **** on the cost, it's our job to solve crimes anyway possible. And many a shootings were solved from confiscated guns in KC. And as stated, legally confiscated, no matter if it was used in a crime or not when obtained.

It would be nice if reality was like TV where CSI Poughkeepsie or whatever tests everything all the time. I'm reminded of the old Hawaii Five O where McGarrett would say stuff like  "Get me a list of everybody under 5 foot 10 and over 220 pounds who has a red Dodge", and Danno would scurry off to make a list. He's have the list in an hour.

Don't happen like that.:D:D

Getting off the original subject a little, but when I retired, we had the capability to run facial recognition against the Georgia Driver's license database.  It took a lot of computer time and the state only did it for special cases but it was possible.  The age of computer databases is here.  The only thing holding law enforcement back is the budgets and the fact that no two agencies' computers can talk to each other.

11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It would be nice if reality was like TV where CSI Poughkeepsie or whatever tests everything all the time. I'm reminded of the old Hawaii Five O where McGarrett would say stuff like  "Get me a list of everybody under 5 foot 10 and over 220 pounds who has a red Dodge", and Danno would scurry off to make a list. He's have the list in an hour.

don't forget -- ALL lab results (DNA, ballistics, forensics, etc.) are completed within an hour, and there's always a phone call that provides a crucial connection at a convenient time (deus ex machina).

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Back in the early 70's we had a F.I.F. (Field Interview Form) Every bad guy was classified as 10-32 J1 J2 J3 J4 J5 J6 J7. Each J number was associated with their crime they had been arrested for and convicted. When ever this party was stopped, the officer filed the FIF. It also included every party in the presence of the subject. Height, weight, tattoos, scars, left handed, right handed, you name it, it was on this form for everyone. A complaint number was assigned to the FIF just like any incident requiring a report. The FIF Unit was created to keep control of every report. These guys were really dedicated and knew almost every report in their head. Also included the vehicle they were traveling in. Finally with the computer system really up and running, all info was placed into the system. Looking for someone under 5'10" over 220 pounds ever associated with a red Dodge. Presto, enter it in and you will have the answer.

I had a regrettable experience where a gun of mine ended up in the hands of the Boston Police Department.  No crime committed or suspected; just a custody issue.

Took over a year to get it back, and then only after threats of litigation.

When finally returned, a ton of fine numbers and markings (erasable) all over the gun; it had been fired and not cleaned; all ammo (2 mags) gone; spare mag gone; leather case gone.

No doubt in my mind that they test fired it; for what, I don't know.  But I suppose something is now on file.

LL

14 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Took over a year to get it back, and then only after threats of litigation

Reminds me of an article I read. This would have been back in the early 70s. American Rifleman.

Believe it was Alaska. Man was picked up for being drunk. He had a pistol.

He hires a lawyer because of the drunk charge, and part of the lawyer fee was the pistol - "I'll represent you for $50 and that Smith & Wesson".

After the trial they found that the police were not going to give the gun back. The lawyer filed a writ of habeas pistol. "The gun in question, a Smith & Wesson model 39 9 mm pistol, has committed no crime and therefore should not be under lock and key." ^_^

He got the gun back.

49 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I had a regrettable experience where a gun of mine ended up in the hands of the Boston Police Department.  No crime committed or suspected; just a custody issue.

Took over a year to get it back, and then only after threats of litigation.

When finally returned, a ton of fine numbers and markings (erasable) all over the gun; it had been fired and not cleaned; all ammo (2 mags) gone; spare mag gone; leather case gone.

No doubt in my mind that they test fired it; for what, I don't know.  But I suppose something is now on file.

LL

At a gun show in Florida in the early 80s I spotted a guy who looked familiar. As I got closer I realized it was a buddy from when I was with the the 7th Cav in Vietnam. He was visiting from Michigan. He told me a sad tale of a few years previous when someone in his neighborhood called the police and reported he had an “Arsenal“. He arrived home to find a large contingent of cops, gawking neighbors and news media surrounding his home. They had a search warrant, trashed his house and confiscated his entire collection of legal firearms and accessories. 
It took him over a year to get them back. All had been test fired. Some things were missing. No charges were filed. 
Be careful who you show your guns to. Especially if you live in a Liberal controlled town.

Archived