SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter what's the call - shoot both pistols at the same time

Major Forsyth

Topic - Shooting both pistols at the same time.  Per the SASS Handbook "Both revolvers may be cocked at the same time but must be shot one at a time to facilitate scoring."

At our local match this weekend it was observed that a gunfighter pulled both triggers simultaneously.  As I was counting, I asked the RO about this and it was explained to me that

"there was an incident at Winter Range where a gunfighter did this, was called a penalty and the gunfighter successfully had the penalty removed with the logic that it is physically impossible to pull both triggers at the same time"

I would say that if you are absolutely positive that both triggers were pulled at the exact same moment, make the call. But remember it is the RO who has the final say on a P.

If the timer registered both shots, then absolutely no call... Unless the rule is to be interpreted as the shooter can only be actively pulling one trigger at a time... And since my eyes are old, that would require a rule to only have one finger in a trigger guard at a time if both revolvers are cocked... If I was making the call...

My eyes ain't that good! So I am left with the timer recording splits. And if the timer recorded splits, AND if the timer recorded all shots (since the timer may not hear every shot, that is why shotgun is to go last) OR the split time at about the right time in the string shows two closely timed shots, then the benefit goes to the shooter. No call.

Please note I have not even taken RO1, I just think timers are far more sensitive to split times than human ears. And timers do not hear every shot.

11 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

If the timer registered both shots, then absolutely no call... Unless the rule is to be interpreted as the shooter can only be actively pulling one trigger at a time... And since my eyes are old, that would require a rule to only have one finger in a trigger guard at a time if both revolvers are cocked... If I was making the call...

My eyes ain't that good! So I am left with the timer recording splits. And if the timer recorded splits, AND if the timer recorded all shots (since the timer may not hear every shot, that is why shotgun is to go last) OR the split time at about the right time in the string shows two closely timed shots, then the benefit goes to the shooter. No call.

Please note I have not even taken RO1, I just think timers are far more sensitive to split times than human ears. And timers do not hear every shot.

There are two handed shooters who can outrun the timer. Never ever should the timer be consulted for anything, other than did it run and did it stop on the last shot?

32 minutes ago, Major Forsyth said:

Topic - Shooting both pistols at the same time.  Per the SASS Handbook "Both revolvers may be cocked at the same time but must be shot one at a time to facilitate scoring."

At our local match this weekend it was observed that a gunfighter pulled both triggers simultaneously.  As I was counting, I asked the RO about this and it was explained to me that

"there was an incident at Winter Range where a gunfighter did this, was called a penalty and the gunfighter successfully had the penalty removed with the logic that it is physically impossible to pull both triggers at the same time"

If correct then it would apply to SxS too......

6 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

There are two handed shooters who can outrun the timer. Never ever should the timer be consulted for anything, other than did it run and did it stop on the last shot?

I think my post covered timer problems quite well, and we do agree. But to clarify, the timer could prove the shots were not simultaneous (therefore no call) but because timers can miss shots, they can not be used to prove the shots were simultaneous. In this scenario. timers can exonerate but not indict.

Electronic timers are not used to determine whether a violation has occurred or not. 

If the T/O and/or spotters cannot audibly distinguish two separate discharges from the revolvers, the progressive P/SDQ/MDQ penalty for "shooting out of category" applies.

Both revolvers may be cocked at the same time but must be shot one at a time to facilitate scoring.

SHB p.7 - Gunfighter Style regs

The Timer Operator has final say on the call.

Archived