SASS Wire Forum

LeMat Revolver Use

Cholla

I assume that since seven-shot revolvers are a no-no, the LeMat would be so as well.

47 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I assume that since seven-shot revolvers are a no-no, the LeMat would be so as well.

You are correct.

I will withdraw my answer. According the current SHB the rule only applies to center fire or rimfire. I don't think it used to say that. 

"Center-fire and rim-fire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six chambers."

The 6-chamber limit applies to centerfire and rimfire revolvers...NOT percussion arms.
A LeMat could be used by only charging and capping 5 chambers.
The shotgun barrel doesn't comply with the 18" limit and would NOT be legal to use.

Center-fire and rim-fire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six chambers.

SHB p.40

9 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Don't know the rule, couldn't you just load 5 and leave the other 2 empty? I do that with my 51 and 60 just mark the empty cone with red nail polish 

Rafe 

Its actually a nine-shot plus one shotgun.

Just now, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The 6-chamber limit applies to centerfire and rimfire revolvers...NOT percussion arms.
A LeMat could be used by only charging and capping 5 chambers.
The shotgun barrel doesn't comply with the 18" limit and would NOT be legal to use.

Center-fire and rim-fire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six chambers.
SHB p.40

Thank you PWB!!!

45 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I will withdraw my answer. According the current SHB the rule only applies to center fire or rimfire. I don't think it used to say that. 

"Center-fire and rim-fire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six chambers."

FWIW - that's been in the SHB since 2006.

;)

4 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

FWIW - that's been in the SHB since 2006.

;)

I'm sure you're right. Just never noticed the caveat before. Just goes to show it's important to RTFB before making calls.

3 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

How about loading all 9 (hammer between cones) and the SG barrel and shooting all 10 pistol targets? A local club might allow that for fun.

Seriously?

Somehow, I just can't see "Local Matches" just ignoring the rules of Play.  If we allow "Local Clubs" to use the Rule Book as chair Padding, Why bother with rules at all.  Just "Run Whatcha Brung" and go for it.  You know, just load up yer Broomhandle and run the whole dang stage.

Come on, man. I was making a joke as I have no idea what category that would fall into. Maybe if they create a steampunk category. I also doubt that one can safely set the hammer between the cones on a LeMat. By the way Coffinmaker, a broomhandle with stripper clips would be fun for wild bunch ( I know, but it would be fun.) I do think that it's a good idea for locals to provide a little wiggle room for new comers. My club has a category for a single sixgun for newbies starting to build their arsenal. 

8 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

How about loading all 9 (hammer between cones) and the SG barrel and shooting all 10 pistol targets? A local club might allow that for fun.

Heck I'd do it at a local match and take the P.  Just might not win the Cadillac that day.

The day that they come out with a cartridge conversion for the LeMat is the day I get one.   I think the "pistol" rounds should be either .38 Short Colt or .38 S&W and that the "shotgun" should be sleeved to something like .45 Colt.

I *think* you could safely load all nine pistol chambers and lower the hammer on the shotgun barrel, but I am not 100% positive on that.

Hmmm....    Steampunk....   Two pistols, nine rounds each.  Must be a LaMat and a Broomhandle.   :D

19 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

I was wondering when Mr. Party Pooper would make a comment. Yes seriously!  Wouldn’t that be fun if your club allowed you to do that?  Off the record and you not competing for anything at the match except for the shooter who has the most fun!  

4 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

I was wondering when Mr. Party Pooper would make a comment. Yes seriously!  Wouldn’t that be fun if your club allowed you to do that?  Off the record and you not competing for anything at the match except for the shooter who has the most fun!  

You really are obsessed with my opinions... So very sad...

I just happen to think that if one is so fricken bored with the current offerings from SASS, perhaps you should find or start another organisation that more closely satisfies your needs.

Phantom

15 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You really are obsessed with my opinions... So very sad...

I just happen to think that if one is so fricken bored with the current offerings from SASS, perhaps you should find or start another organisation that more closely satisfies your needs.

Phantom

Oh come on Phantom, that was humorous!  The poster suggested doing something different and you “seriously” rained on his parade. He was only suggesting something fun, no rule changes, no revolutionary ideas, just a what if. And I will bet that there are some clubs who cater to black powder shooters that just might think about it. 
and I think you have posted a few times since our last conversation without a peep from me, but in this case you are right, I am bored silly and saw an opportunity to support someone that you happened to comment on. 

11 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Oh come on Phantom, that was humorous!  The poster suggested doing something different and you “seriously” rained on his parade. He was only suggesting something fun, no rule changes, no revolutionary ideas, just a what if. And I will bet that there are some clubs who cater to black powder shooters that just might think about it. 
and I think you have posted a few times since our last conversation without a peep from me, but in this case you are right, I am bored silly and saw an opportunity to support someone that you happened to comment on. 

Yeah...cuz shooting pistol targets with a SG round is so much fun...and thank God you're here to support those that I direct comments too...:lol:

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah...cuz shooting pistol targets with a SG round is so much fun...and thank God you're here to support those that I direct comments too...:lol:

What’s the difference? Depends on the size and angle of the target. The club I used to shoot at interchanged them all the time. We like using big targets for almost everything. We were into fun, not competition. 

And as for supporting that you leave your comments with, I remember a loot of people leaving the WIRE and the sport back in the late 90’s because replies weren’t judge mental and belittling. Our numbers are that far apart so maybe you will as well?  I am open to what if’s and people enjoying the sport. Sorry if that offends. And yes I am very happy to give my support. 

Come on guys. We've all been locked down for too long. Let's have a little fun and at the same time acknowledge that we do have some basic rules to the game (and it is a game). Further, I agree that we don't need any additional categories. we have more than enough now. And let's now for get the primary rule that comes right after "Safety". Thats "have fun". 

Since loading 5 seems to be the norm, and to make the playing field level, and since it is a cap and ball revolver, could you not just load five rounds in the LeMat, while the powers-that-be watch you, like a tree full of owls, to make sure there were only five shots available to you?

Since the LeMat has a nine shot cylinder, it should be pretty easy to make sure only five of them were loaded up.

Looks like that would stay within the rules, and since it is a single action revolver, and since it is a percussion revolver, would that not satisfy? 

The only handicap I can see is that the LeMat weighs more than a '51 Colt, or '60 Colt. Not as heavy as a Walker, but heavy, none the less. 

I got an idea, while no one suggested a new category, I’ll give you one anyway!  How about the “Nobody Cares” category?

And what if there was a side match allowing it?  With a “pistol” target far enough away so as to make Phantom comfortable?  The club I used to shoot at in Ft. Lauderdale used the same size targets for all three guns, pistol rifle & shotgun. 
anyway it would be fun to see someone shoot a LeMat at 10 pistol targets. 

1 minute ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

I got an idea, while no one suggested a new category, I’ll give you one anyway!  How about the “Nobody Cares” category?

And what if there was a side match allowing it?  With a “pistol” target far enough away so as to make Phantom comfortable?  The club I used to shoot at in Ft. Lauderdale used the same size targets for all three guns, pistol rifle & shotgun. 
anyway it would be fun to see someone shoot a LeMat at 10 pistol targets. 

Why not just go out to the range with friends and shoot whatever you want, however you want? 

Whether you like it or not, SASS matches are still a competition event.

Phantom

Egads!  I just looked them up on EMF's site.  $1025.00, when you can find them!   Out of stock most everywhere. 

Having shot one once, I can't say I'd want to shoot one a second time.  It doesn't point well, and is uncomfortable to shoot.

For me, this comes under the heading of a "novelty gun", whose novelty wears off quickly.

But, for those who wish to pay the money and shoot them with 5 ea.  I wish you well.

As a Frontiersman, when a percussion gun is the same price as a Ruger OId Army, the choice is obvious.  Ruger.

1 minute ago, McCandless said:

Egads!  I just looked them up on EMF's site.  $1025.00, when you can find them!   Out of stock most everywhere. 

Having shot one once, I can't say I'd want to shoot one a second time.  It doesn't point well, and is uncomfortable to shoot.

For me, this comes under the heading of a "novelty gun", whose novelty wears off quickly.

But, for those who wish to pay the money and shoot them with 5 ea.  I wish you well.

As a Frontiersman, when a percussion gun is the same price as a Ruger OId Army, the choice is obvious.  Ruger.

From what I have read they were also inaccurate beyond 25 yards and weighed 3-pounds. A local fellow has an original so I am working up a story idea for my editor. Comparing the original to the reproduction and then shooting the reproduction in a match seems like a good story.

3 hours ago, Indy Kid, SASS #4638 said:

I think some are forgetting that local clubs are not only allowed to try new classes. But are encouraged to do so. That is how we develop new classes such as B Western, Classic Cowboy and Gunfighter.

I was joking!  However I think some local clubs do try things that are out of the box. Let’s face it, when this all started there was no shooters handbook and the participants were trying all sorts of stuff until they got the results they wanted. And with more members came more changes. 
the original poster asked a how about situation, sometimes experimenting is good, resulting in all the different guns we have. Yes the pistol doesn’t shoot well per the people who have experienced them, and they are expensive so no we are not going to have a bunch of people running out to get them to shoot one pistol per stage after reloading. But once in a while it’s fun to see new stuff. 

I have seen two LeMats in pawn shops that were priced very reasonable. The last one I saw was about a year ago and it was like new with the box. Didn't look like it had ever been fired. Right beside it was an 1860 Army with a full fluted cylinder that was also LNIB. That one followed me home.

13 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why not just go out to the range with friends and shoot whatever you want, however you want? 

Whether you like it or not, SASS matches are still a competition event.

Phantom

Around here that is not possible unless you or a friend own the range. All the non cowboy ranges have rules like. NO shooting outside your assigned lane. NO shooting steel. NO movement. No drawing from holsters. Etc, Ect

Maybe 1 of the 7 or so Cowboy ranges withing a 3 hour drive is available for use outside match times. All the others are closed. 

As for the matches being a competition event, it is only a competition if you are competing. As long as I am following all the safety rules; how I choose to shoot any stage is up to me. I can earn a P on every stage if I choose by shooting the targets out of sequence. If every round I fire is considered a miss IAW the miss flow chart there is nothing in the rule book that prevents me from doing so as long as I do it safely. I can shoot the stage as fast or as slowly as I desire. Once the TO calls me to the line that stage is mine to shoot as I see fit as long as I do so safely.

This is supposed to be a fun sport. How I choose to have MY fun is between me and the Match Director and NO ONE ELSE. If the peanut gallery doesn't like it than they need to bite their tongues and suck it up. Absolutely nothing makes my blood boil faster than hearing someone in the peanut gallery complain because a shooter is taking too long on a stage or needs help remembering a target sequence. And yes I have heard it.   

My sincerest wish is that one day those people become the person they are ridiculing. 

59 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Around here that is not possible unless you or a friend own the range. All the non cowboy ranges have rules like. NO shooting outside your assigned lane. NO shooting steel. NO movement. No drawing from holsters. Etc, Ect

Maybe 1 of the 7 or so Cowboy ranges withing a 3 hour drive is available for use outside match times. All the others are closed. 

As for the matches being a competition event, it is only a competition if you are competing. As long as I am following all the safety rules; how I choose to shoot any stage is up to me. I can earn a P on every stage if I choose by shooting the targets out of sequence. If every round I fire is considered a miss IAW the miss flow chart there is nothing in the rule book that prevents me from doing so as long as I do it safely. I can shoot the stage as fast or as slowly as I desire. Once the TO calls me to the line that stage is mine to shoot as I see fit as long as I do so safely.

This is supposed to be a fun sport. How I choose to have MY fun is between me and the Match Director and NO ONE ELSE. If the peanut gallery doesn't like it than they need to bite their tongues and suck it up. Absolutely nothing makes my blood boil faster than hearing someone in the peanut gallery complain because a shooter is taking too long on a stage or needs help remembering a target sequence. And yes I have heard it.   

My sincerest wish is that one day those people become the person they are ridiculing. 

:lol::lol:

Do you have the TO not run the timer when you shoot? 

Your post is full of silly Strawman arguements... And if you hear folks sincerely ridiculing people that take a lot of time running a stage, then you hang around some pretty crappy people...

Back in 1998 or 99 I used one with my Texas Longhorn Arms SAA .44 mag.  Got a lot of looks and was loads of fun.  I asked and was told I could use it as both pistols if I loaded a round ball in the shotgun barrel.  I never did it though.

1 hour ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

Back in 1998 or 99 I used one with my Texas Longhorn Arms SAA .44 mag.  Got a lot of looks and was loads of fun.  I asked and was told I could use it as both pistols if I loaded a round ball in the shotgun barrel.  I never did it though.

Wait. You have/had a Texas Longhorn? There's a hen's teeth for you!

Oh good lord!!  I remember the Texas Longhorn.  Had a funny Bisleyesque Grip and was built Mirror Image.  Backwards if you will.  Really neat looking guns.  Never got a chance to play with one though.  Durn.

Archived