SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Single Six Grip Question

Pat Riot

Pards, I need some info. My friend has a Ruger Single Six .22 Magnum. It's an old model. This guy is not a shooter  and he only has this one gun, but it has this pair of over-sized grip panels on it that appear like original Vaquero grips.

I would like to  get him a set of grip panels that fit but I have no idea which size the grip might be. Looking online I see XR3 and  XR3 RED grips. Which ones would  be for a Ruger Single Six?

Pull the grips that are on it and look at the frame. The frame size is molded into the grip frame, and hidden by the grips.

The original Single Six took an XR3 grip, just like the original Blackhawk. Then when they changed it the Single Six took an XR3-RED (REDesigned), again, like the Blackhawk.

The Vaquero takes the same grips as the Blackhawk.

When they came out with the Vaquerito, they made the grip frame slightly shorter, there for the grips for it are slightly shorter.

The best way to avoid confusion is to pull the grip center GRIPS THAT ARE on it and read what size the grip frame is. Then buy grips to fit that frame.

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Pull the grips that are on it and look at the frame. The frame size is molded into the grip frame, and hidden by the grips.

The original Single Six took an XR3 grip, just like the original Blackhawk. Then when they changed it the Single Six took an XR3-RED (REDesigned), again, like the Blackhawk.

the Vaquero takes the same grips as the Blackhawk.

When they came out with the Vaquerito, they made the grip frame slightly shorter, there for the grips for it are slightly shorter.

the best way to avoid confusion is to pull the grip center on it and read what size the grip frame is. Then buy grips to fit that frame.

Thank you Alpo. The problem is  I  want to buy the grips as a surprise / Christmas gift and I have no access to  the actual revolver.

I know  it's an old model with a fixed dovetailed sight. I believe it's an XR3 grip but not sure.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ooh...Not sure. I am starting to think he can buy his own grips...:rolleyes:

Sounds like a perfect gift certificate situation!!

The XR 3 grips were used up to about 1962, after that they used the XR3-Red, This applies to 3 screw models, The New Model Blackhawk,Single Six and Vaqueros, used the XRN3 -Red grip frame that was the same as the XR3-Red except it didn't have the hole for the trigger return spring that the 3 screw guns used. When Ruger came out with the "New" Vaqueros (With and without the internal lock) they went back to the XR3 sized grip frame but it was thinner and has the locating dowel in a slightly different place. Hope this helps.

17 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Sounds like a perfect gift certificate situation!!

That is a very good idea! Thank you. I will look into this. 

11 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

The XR 3 grips were used up to about 1962, after that they used the XR3-Red, This applies to 3 screw models, The New Model Blackhawk,Single Six and Vaqueros, used the XRN3 -Red grip frame that was the same as the XR3-Red except it didn't have the hole for the trigger return spring that the 3 screw guns used. When Ruger came out with the "New" Vaqueros (With and without the internal lock) they went back to the XR3 sized grip frame but it was thinner and has the locating dowel in a slightly different place. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Major. This is good information. It’s amazing, for as long as I have been shooting Ruger Vaqueros I never needed grip info like this until I started looking into getting grip panels for my friend. That’s when I realized Ruger, in making changes over the years, made things a bit confusing when it comes to grips. 
Your synopsis is quite helpful. Thank you. 

I just went through this , rehabing an old 3 screw single six , that was in a lake for 14 to 18 years 

ended up with a set of grips , off a 1963 mod. fit that old critter like a glove 

it had nor been back to get the upgrade (transfer bar) shoots well for being drowned 

CB 

5 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I just went through this , rehabing an old 3 screw single six , that was in a lake for 14 to 18 years 

ended up with a set of grips , off a 1963 mod. fit that old critter like a glove 

it had nor been back to get the upgrade (transfer bar) shoots well for being drowned 

CB 

this one sounds interesting - got a photo ? would love to see it 

10 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

CB 

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

this one sounds interesting - got a photo ? would love to see it 

Me too! :)

NO pics . of it at this time , I rarely take them , unless , I am thinking of doing an article , I have started a couple of articles , but have not sent them in 

even then I am not a computer person , don't know how to post pics , and too lazy to learn how to 

I am known for NOT giving up on bringing one back on the line , many times , I spend way too much time and effort , and $$$ on projects 

maybe I am the patron saint of HOPELESS CUASES :unsure: 

CB 

Howdy,

I see a win win here.

Tell the fella that you mentioned his magnum on this forum and we all

want to see a pic of it.  

Tell him you need to borrow it for just a day or so to be sure the pic gets

out correctly and if cowboys want a different angle of pic.

Then you can check the frame too.

The reason you mentioned it?

Chili Ron said 22 mag was the only ammo on the shelf at local store.

Best

CR

I should have added , I am by NO meens a wordsmith , cleaning up my chicken scrach , be akin to polishing a turd ,while ,  picking up the clean end :huh:

gave me more than one gray hair , took about 2 weeks soaking to clear all the trash out of it . 

I reckon , since I grew up on the poor side , I tend to dislike wasting , most anything that can be salvaged , one of my MANY faults 

CB 

Archived