SASS Wire Forum

UPDATE. scroll down. You Might Not See Anything From Me For A Few Days

Subdeacon Joe

PG&E will be shutting off power.

This address is under a PSPS Warning
Future Outage Status: WARNING - shutoff required
Last Updated: September 7 | 6:02 PM PST (PSPS Outage Forecast data updated once per day)
View Outage Map
To protect Public Safety, PG&E has upgraded the Public Safety Shutoff Watch to a Warning. Current weather forecasts, including high winds and dry conditions, will require us to turn off power to help prevent wildfire.
Estimated shutoff start
September 8 | 3:00 AM PST - 6:00 AM PST
Estimated restoration
September 9 | 7:00 PM PST

Well that just bites, Joe.  :(

You guys take care, be safe and try to somehow keep cool!  

Stay safe SDJ!

I've been contemplating a portable gennie if the rolling blackouts hit us. So far we've been lucky, though I wonder if our proximity to gruesom's throne room has anything to do with that. If we were to lose power in the summer, especially during the heat waves I'd be in deep sneakers. Cannot tolerate heat, puts me flat on my back!

10 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Don't you have a charger in your car or truck?

I do.  Also at work.   But I  still tend to limit myself when power is out. 

When I get home from work today I'll have my wife charge up her phone in the truck,  also sit in it and cool off.

Rolling brown-outs.  Wind farms and high-speed rail diverted funds?

Harrumph! They turned ours off at 11:00 pm, hubby turned on the generator, and they turned it back on sometime before 3:00 am. Hubby had leg pain and went out to walk around and found "the light" on the pole on. How convenient. They decided that there was no wind here.

I'll certainly miss seeing you! :wacko:

Then again,  I haven't seen anything lately since this dang pandemic.

2020_09_08_10_59_10.jpg.79fae719e848f2a8f20c46d5c89af70c.jpg

14 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How in the world can that in any shape or form be legal? :angry:

OLG 

It is legal.  The program was created after high winds blew tree branches into a power line in Butte County.  The fire moved so fast it blocked the road exit from Paradise.  People had to drive down a road that had trees burning on both sides of the road.  *5 humans lost their lives in the fire.  The town of Paradise was burned to the ground.  This wasn't an isolated incident.  It will take many years for PG&E to improve their transmission & distribution in forested areas.  Some of the fire danger reduction will be done by the state like clearing excess tress & brush within a few hundred feet from highways. 

15 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Stay safe SDJ!

I've been contemplating a portable gennie if the rolling blackouts hit us. So far we've been lucky, though I wonder if our proximity to gruesom's throne room has anything to do with that. If we were to lose power in the summer, especially during the heat waves I'd be in deep sneakers. Cannot tolerate heat, puts me flat on my back!

Because these blackouts will happen for many years to come; an emergency generator is a wise investment.  Hire a licensed electrical contractor to install it.  Never ever plug a portable generator into your house wiring.  You need a manual transfer or automatic transfer switch.  I worked in the business for 35 years & installed a manual switch after my service entrance panel & reconnected the 3 feeders to distribution breakers in the transfer panel and the 200A feeder to the house to 200A feed through lugs in the transfer panel.  I installed it because, since I moved here in January 2013 I have averaged 1 outage lasting 1 or more hours every year.  Two have lasted more than eight hours.  The town I live 8 miles from has 2 transmission lines from the substation miles 15 miles west.  These two transmission lines run on the same poles until 10 miles from town.  The last pole with both lines is 100 feet off highway 50 on a long sweeping curve.  Last year an 18 wheeler going West missed the curve (fell asleep) and didn't stop until taking out the pole.  I was glad I had a gasoline/propane engine generator.

25 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

Because these blackouts will happen for many years to come; an emergency generator is a wise investment

Likely we will buy a portable big enough to run the refrigerator.   Put it in the patio/closed porch and run an extension cord in.  Pain in the butt to plug the fridge into it, and then reverse the process,  but it won't cost several thousands of dollars. 

Maybe run two cords in and put a power bar on the second to run chargers Nd a light or two.

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How in the world can that in any shape or form be legal? :angry:

OLG 

They have to so the world doesn't sue 'em out of existence.  Remember all the stories about being blocked by environmentalists/courts from safely clearing trees and brush away from transmission lines.

Here's a very short commentary by Mike Der Manouel Jr, broadcast today:  “Not Climate Change” | September 8, 2020"

8 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

It is legal.  The program was created after high winds blew tree branches into a power line in Butte County.  The fire moved so fast it blocked the road exit from Paradise.  People had to drive down a road that had trees burning on both sides of the road.  *5 humans lost their lives in the fire.  The town of Paradise was burned to the ground.  This wasn't an isolated incident.  It will take many years for PG&E to improve their transmission & distribution in forested areas.  Some of the fire danger reduction will be done by the state like clearing excess tress & brush within a few hundred feet from highways. 

It may be legal-that don't make it 'rite'. :angry:

OLG 

PG&E is getting a bum deal, sort of...

The hippies have tied up responsible fire management with lawsuits for decades.

PG&E cannot clear flammable materials below their lines.
They cannot bury power lines.
Loggers cannot remove huge deposits of duff and dead trees...

All for some spotted owl bullshit.
And now so many of those critters have been burned alive, along with burned out houses and dead people.

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Likely we will buy a portable big enough to run the refrigerator.   Put it in the patio/closed porch and run an extension cord in.  Pain in the butt to plug the fridge into it, and then reverse the process,  but it won't cost several thousands of dollars. 

Maybe run two cords in and put a power bar on the second to run chargers Nd a light or two.

What about running a 1KW invertor off your pickup truck alternator?
Gasoline in the truck is always current and never stale.
Fuel is easily replaced, usually.
A 100 foot extension cord and inverter is less $$ than a generator rig that seldom gets used.

1 minute ago, bgavin said:

PG&E is getting a bum deal, sort of...

The hippies have tied up responsible fire management with lawsuits for decades.

PG&E cannot clear flammable materials below their lines.
They cannot bury power lines.
Loggers cannot remove huge deposits of duff and dead trees...

All for some spotted owl bullshit.
And now so many of those critters have been burned alive, along with burned out houses and dead people.

Exactly.   What used to work isn't allowed anymore.   Add in that we have urba and suburban development right up against wildcards with no buffer and you have a plan for disaster.

Archived