SASS Wire Forum

The House

Calamity Kris

56 years ago, a young family with a couple of small children bought this brand new house to raise their family in.  Many good memories were made here.  It was a good house and stood the test of time.

Soon, this house will be occupied by another family with two small children.  They plan to raise their family in this good house.

My how time flies.  I wish this new family well in their new home.  I hope they have as many good memories as we did growing up there.

Good bye, house.

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 1.59.47 PM.png

My folks moved into a big Victorian in 1953; I was five years old. All of us six kids were raised there; a great house and a wonderful neighborhood.

One of my brothers bought the place from my folks and still lives there. So it's been 'in the family' now for 67 years. Most of us still live not far away, so we are in the house from time to time and drive by it often. We are all very glad it's still 'with us', and I understand your sentiment fully. 

Great that yours has been sold to a good family.

Great post, Calamity Kris, you just took me back to 1942.  I've lived in seven houses and owned the last five and each one has left a very special set of memories of family and events.  I'll be thinking of and reliving small vignettes for the rest of the day.  Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

My folks moved into a big Victorian in 1953; I was five years old. All of us six kids were raised there; a great house and a wonderful neighborhood.

One of my brothers bought the place from my folks and still lives there. So it's been 'in the family' now for 67 years. Most of us still live not far away, so we are in the house from time to time and drive by it often. We are all very glad it's still 'with us', and I understand your sentiment fully. 

Great that yours has been sold to a good family.

Thanks.

My brother has been handling all of the details told me the story of the family.  The house had been on the market for two days.  The family toured it and really loved it.  They put in an offer that evening at asking price.  My brother thought he would sleep on it before responding.  The family's realtor sent my brother a picture of the family at 10:00 at night, telling him how much they wanted this house.  Then their realtor tells my brother they would offer money above asking price, just to get the house.  At 11:00 at night, my brother accepted.  The house was on the market a total of four days. 

I was back there a couple of weeks ago helping to clear the last of our stuff out of it.  It was a little tough to do.  I lived there the least, 13 years, my brother the most, almost his whole life.  It's the only house he has known.  If I get the chance go home for the holidays, I plan to go by it, just to see how the new family has made it their own.

That was a good post, Calamity Kris.  I wished we had stayed in the same house over that length of time.  In 1964, I was still a pup living with my parents and brothers in Memphis.  I took my wife there and we did drive by the house in which we lived when I was a boy.  In 1963, we had the only white Christmas in that house that I ever experienced, living in the south.

Our whole family has stayed close by; my siblings and our own kids. One thing about the Pacific NW/Puget Sound is that there is less a tendency for the kids to 'scatter' than in many other parts of the country. I think it's a combination of both the natural beauty of the area, with the saltwater and the mountains, but also because the regional economy has stayed strong down the decades. So there are lots of economic opportunities hereabouts, both large and small.

My wife and I are still in the house we raised our 5 kids in; which in turn is within a few city blocks of the houses we grew up in. We've been in the house for 41 years, and while it's big, with 12 grandkids in the area we'll be keeping it. Our own kids are highly attached to it, and I expect that at some point, before or after our deaths, one or more will buy it.

Attachment to a great house is something I definitely identify with!

We sold our house n California after 37 1/2 years and moved up here.  I miss some of the old house's features, but I recently remodeled the kitchen - dining room and put in some of the nicer things we had there.  It's a lot more like home now and I wish Shawna had stayed around to enjoy them.

We had a  house in the family from 1948 till this summer. I grew up in it, then one of my kids bought it from my parents. then one of their kids lived there until the spring. It's being remodeled at the moment by the new buyers. However, they will be reselling when finished. Two bedroom bungalow on a basement:blush:

The double house I grew up in was torn down in 1959 for the extended freeway project. (Rt.2 /I 90) my parents bought this house I’m in now In 1959 brand new. I was 13. I moved back here in 1996 when my mom passed away my dad passed in 1994.  Believe it or not there’s a couple neighbors that are still here from 1959! It’s still a pretty nice neighborhood. 

im the second owner of my current home , the first had it for about thirty years and raised seven kids in it - ive had it for thirty years and raised two good kids in it  , not quite ready to sell it yet tho but i fully understand the sentiments of your post as ive been contemplating it  , 

The first house I remember was in town and we moved out when i was about 3 1/2 years old. I drove by it a couple weeks ago and it is still there.

My parents bought 40 acres next to my grandparent's farm and built a house in 1965.

I grew up there and it burned to the ground and we lost everything in May 1984.

All my stuff was there as I had not moved out and was on a company trip when it burned.

They build a new house on the same basement floor and made it bigger and a similar house plan, it is close to the old one but it is not the same.

My grandparents bought their farm when Grandpa got home from Germany at the end of WWII in 1947.

The house was built in the 1920's and I currently live in it. I have been doing upgrades all summer while I have been off work.

Nice old 2 story farm house, but more house than I need as a single guy. I do like it here.

1117131418.jpg

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

im the second owner of my current home , the first had it for about thirty years and raised seven kids in it - ive had it for thirty years and raised two good kids in it  , not quite ready to sell it yet tho but i fully understand the sentiments of your post as ive been contemplating it  , 

Dad refused to go into an assisted living place, even though he couldn't live on his own.  Hence, my brother and his wife moving in with dad.  After dad passed, none of the three of us could afford to buy the place so we put it on the market. 

Archived