SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Sp101

Dantankerous

Had a chance to shoot some .38 Special 125 grain JHP +Ps from a Ruger 5 shot SP101 a couple days ago. The gun is chambered in .357 mag but we only shot +P .38 Special

The Ruger itself is a solid gun. Accurate. Fairly smooth for a brand new gun. Trigger will get smoother with use. Rubber grips are not fancy but certainly practical. Well worth considering if that sized revolver is your thing.

Bobbed hammer so DA only. Not much of a front sight, but doable at close range.

The revolver was very pleasant to shoot. The +P .38 JHPs felt like a 9mm 115 FMJ in terms of recoil and muzzle blast. No real recoil to slow a second quick yet accurate shot.

Just throwing this out as a quick review for anyone who might be considering this gun.

I've the same pistol.  Mine feels clunky inside and likely could use some Wolf springs and smoothing of internals.  Like you said its bull strong........muzzle blast from full house 357 is awe inspiring to say the least and so likewise I shoot 38+P or a keith type 158gr bullet loaded fairly stout.   I don't carry mine much opting for a Sig 9mm.  

I've got the Wiley Clapp version of the SP101. A little nicer grips and a set of Novak low profile sights with a gold bead front. The sights are a big improvement over stock. After a Wolff spring kit it's my normal EDC. 

I had one and it shot good. I sold it because it was just a little too heavy for carry. I carry a S&W Airweight 442 instead.

I own two SP 101's.  One in .22 and one in .357.  Both of them have had spring kits installed.  I love these revolvers.  I own several S&W 5 shot revolvers, but my wife choose the .357 SP 101 as her daily carry gun.  She shoots it very well.  I also own a GP100 (with a spring kit) and it is a pleasure to shoot.

having had a pile of snubbies to chose from , Colts , cobras, air men , Dectives , S&W , J and K frames , Charter Arms , Rossi and a few others 

I liked the SP101 , but one of my girls , snuck it out , so now I reckon , it be hers :blink:

seems the girls get all the best ones 

CB 

Like others have said, the SP101 is a big heavy chunk of stainless steel... So they absorb recoil far better than a light j-frame S&W...I sell a bunch of them. My personal one is a Gemini Custom... Look into them if you want to make your Ruger the best it can be.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Very heavy for it's size.

OLG 

That’s why the +Ps are manageable I guess.

I bought one in 1990 with a 3 inch barrel in stainless and .357.  I put those rubber squishy Houge grips on it and have shot it a lot.  It is a dependable work horse.  Carrying backpacking on many occasions I can only say good things about it.  I normally shoot full loads out of it , factory 125 gr HP’s.  It is weighty but it’s a solid pistol.

I've had one for years. As many have said, it's a little heavy for carry, but makes a great truck gun or house gun.

Had one years ago that had For .357 Mag 125 Gr JHP Only stamped on the barrel. I traded it to a friend who wanted it more than his 1948 K-22, best trade I ever made.

I have a 2-1/2' hammerless that replaced my S&W 642. Bought it from the SASS classified. Mild recoil w/+P, don't like it w/357's. It's my HD carry gun when wearing a coat even though open carry is legal and encouraged in WV. We have coyotes and I always carry when walking my dog. I use a belt holster, so it does not seem heavy to me. Don't remember if I added a spring kit, but probably did. It is my favorite carry gun, even though I've got a bunch of Glocks.

Archived