SASS Wire Forum

In Safe Pistol Storage

Rube Burrows

I recently broke down and bought a big 64 gun safe. Before now I have had a couple of the larger stack on safes crammed with rifles and the revolvers and such were kept in the zip up bags or the original boxes. 

Instead of trying to reinvent the the wheel I thought I would ask here. How do you store your revolvers in your safe? I have seen the hangers that go in the barrel, the racks that hold the guns upside down some that hold them right side up etc. What do you use? Which works best with cowboy style revolvers, some with up to 8'' barrels or so? 

Photos are always a plus but understand if you don't want to post pics. 

Not much around here locally so I would have to order most anything I get. Figured I would try to only order once. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

I have a smaller safe, maybe 12-15 long guns.  One shelf above.  Not enough room for a stand-up handgun rack.  So I use the S-style wire hangers.  I have 10 handguns neatly suspended below the shelf, ranging from 2.5 - 5" barrels.  I could easily accommodate 7" barrels.  They are  plastic coated, so no scratching or marring.  My only criticism is that in the darkness below the shelf, it's sometimes hard to see the end of the hanger to re-hang a gun; I need to add a light inside the safe.  

LL

12 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I have a smaller safe, maybe 12-15 long guns.  One shelf above.  Not enough room for a stand-up handgun rack.  So I use the S-style wire hangers.  I have 10 handguns neatly suspended below the shelf, ranging from 2.5 - 5" barrels.  I could easily accommodate 7" barrels.  They are  plastic coated, so no scratching or marring.  My only criticism is that in the darkness below the shelf, it's sometimes hard to see the end of the hanger to re-hang a gun; I need to add a light inside the safe.  

LL

Thanks for the input. I wondered how those would fare with the larger guns. Good to hear they can handle them. 

You might look to see if the manufacturer sells a door panel that allows handguns to be stored in pouches.   My safe has that and it holds 6-8 handguns, depending on barrel lengths.  I also have shelving on one side of the interior that holds all sorts of stuff.

25 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

You might look to see if the manufacturer sells a door panel that allows handguns to be stored in pouches.   My safe has that and it holds 6-8 handguns, depending on barrel lengths.  I also have shelving on one side of the interior that holds all sorts of stuff.

It does have a few pouches for handguns which I put a few of my smaller revolvers and such in. 

+1 to all of the above. They also have plastic racks that hold pistols in a muzzle up position, depending on how close you place your top shelf to the top of the safe. Also racks that hold the guns muzzle forward. Usually in 6-8 each. I have 2,  muzzles up on the left and right side in one  safe and muzzles forward along the back wall in another.

6 hours ago, Rube Burrows said:

I recently broke down and bought a big 64 gun safe. Before now I have had a couple of the larger stack on safes crammed with rifles and the revolvers and such were kept in the zip up bags or the original boxes. 

Instead of trying to reinvent the the wheel I thought I would ask here. How do you store your revolvers in your safe? I have seen the hangers that go in the barrel, the racks that hold the guns upside down some that hold them right side up etc. What do you use? Which works best with cowboy style revolvers, some with up to 8'' barrels or so? 

Photos are always a plus but understand if you don't want to post pics. 

Not much around here locally so I would have to order most anything I get. Figured I would try to only order once. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Small safe with single shelf above for handguns.  Because of some barrel lengths, the best way for me was to buy silicon sleeves or socks for each gun.  Each gun is cleaned and lightly oiled before going into a glove, then stacked neatly in the safe, revolvers to the left, flat guns to the right.

I use these.

• Z Zicome 8-Slots Bamboo Wooden Dish Rack Plate Rack Stand Pot Lid Holder Kitchen Cabinet Organizer
Roll over image to zoom in
  • 41eCXKz9yaL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 412ktjU1BQL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51hFQbd9z%2BL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 41pmsrJHFaL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51WzCk-6cjL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51kPOtUEIqL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51cshg%2B78zL._AC_US40_.jpg

Z Zicome 8-Slots Bamboo Wooden Dish Rack Plate Rack Stand Pot Lid Holder Kitchen Cabinet Organizer

Price: $9.99  & FREE Returns

• Made of natural bamboo, smooth to avoid scratching
  • Great kitchen cabinet organizer for plates, dishes, pot and pan lids, saucers, baking sheets and trays, cups, glasses, cutting boards, bowls, etc
  • Hold them for easy access and save a lot of space
  • Plenty of 8 Slots, the spacing between the slots was 1.3"
  • Easy to put together: It comes with 4 pieces parts, two long racks and two pegs, each rack have two holes; To make sure it will connect each pieces more tighter, it is minus tolerance design

This is my setup. Full gram pistols on top shelf. Pocket pistols/derringers on wire hangers. 

DB59B310-83AF-4B66-B92E-85D46AFBD5C2.jpeg

My top shelf is full so I just ordered some S hangers, plenty of room there. I would be wary of using the bamboo dish rack, wood can absorb moisture. Spray it down with oil when new?

I use a door mounted coated wire rack on my door to hold 10 of my revolvers and a AR pcc and the long ‘s’ wires on the shelf directly over my long guns for my thinner autos. The rest live in bore stores on the shelves. 

On 9/7/2020 at 2:40 PM, Trooper Ozzy said:

For lighting these work at $1.99. Harbor Freight and others

64723_W3.jpg

I have one of these in my old stack on safes and they work okay while batteries are full but start to put off less and less light. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Lots of good ideas. Someone told me that our local Sportsmans Warehouse sometimes has the coated pistol racks. I will run by and check today. 

Picked up these two racks after someone told me about them locally. Holds the Schofields and 51 Conversions perfectly. The Ruger New Vaquero fits loosely and the old vaqueros are too fat. Actually have to press them down in there. Works well though. 

6DCF01AA-CF1C-4E12-9E47-9B50E5B1F984.jpeg

Archived