SASS Wire Forum

WTC: Duelist style switching hands?

Diamond Jake

I'm new to this game, and have a question on rules for switching hands in the Duelist category.

I have occasional pain and weakness in my left hand.  I'm wondering if I start the string shooting with my left hand, after a couple shots can I switch it to the right hand for the other three shots?

The handbook says "...The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be may not be touched by the offhand except...when transferring the revolver from one hand to the other."  Is this any time during the shooting sequence, or just at the beginning?

6 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

I'm wondering if I start the string shooting with my left hand, after a couple shots can I switch it to the right hand for the other three shots?

You could, with one caveat. The prohibition would be if the revolver was cocked:

A cocked revolver may never leave a shooters hand, including from one hand to
the other. This does not apply when loading or reloading on the firing line.

SDQ:

A cocked revolver leaving the shooters hand.

Sounds good.  The problem is almost like suddenly throwing out your back.  I might feel fine in warmup or even a stage or two, then one awkward recoil and I might not be able to cock the revolver anyway.  Maybe I should stop using 45 Colt.  ;-)

If recoil from the .45 Colt round is a concern , you might consider switching to .45 Schofield , or my personal choice , .45 Cowboy Special. A 160 grain bullet with a moderate charge of an appropriate  powder will produce very little felt recoil.

Works for me,but of course YMMV.

Choctaw

if your shooting duelist buy some .32 rugers they are legal and easy on the hand.   here is what you need:  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878200237   this is not my auction nor am i affiliated with it.  

Simple.  Stop shooting Dualist.  Switch to TWO hands.  Switch to Cowboy 45 Special cartridges with 130Gr BARNSTORMER bullets and about 4Gr TightGroup.  Or even better maybe 12Gr 3f APP.

Trailrider:  No.  A Border Shift is when you toss the gun from one hand to the other.

8 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Sounds good.  The problem is almost like suddenly throwing out your back.  I might feel fine in warmup or even a stage or two, then one awkward recoil and I might not be able to cock the revolver anyway.  Maybe I should stop using 45 Colt.  ;-)

But it sounds like this has happened, and more than just once.

SO.

Before you drop a loaded pistol.

Or maybe even a loaded cocked pistol.

It might be time to make a switch. Either find a way to get less recoil if that is the problem.

Or stop shooting double duelist and move to just shooting right handed.

I used to shoot .45s before my arthritis got bad enough to require steroid injections in my hands.  Sold the .45 revolvers and rifle, reloading dies, etc.  Shooting .38s two- handed brought back the fun.  Here’s hoping you find a way to avoid pain.

Have you tried a Bisley grip? They feel quite different to the hands.

Lots of great suggestions.  Thanks.

Today I tried out several loads, and found a light load of Goex in a Schofield case, along with a filler wad, gave pretty light recoil.  I had been using smokeless powder, but I got caught flat footed with this shortage (I wasn't shooting SASS until June) and ran out of both Trail Boss and Tite Group.  My other smokeless powder is Unique, and it's not as accurate in lighter loads, but a moderate load in a Schofield case with 200 g bullet works OK.

I practiced Duelist, Double Duelist, Gunfighter, and even two-handed with a cross draw holster on my left side.  I've decided that right now I can't shoot one handed left.  I didn't have pain today, but it was just too hard to control the pistol, especially if I was a bit sweaty.  As soon as I get my left thumb on the hammer, the barrel goes off target significantly.  Much stronger and no problem with my right hand.

I'll just have to practice a smooth transition from left handed draw to right handed shooting.

I'm pretty new to this too and don't mean to hijack here, but...  What is double duelist?  I have shot two matches so far and have shot the duelist category both times.  I put two hands on the revolver, more like a modern handgun shooter, and am thinking that this is not actually duelist.  Duelist is one hand right?  What category is it two use to hands on one gun?

double duelist is not an officially recognized sass category.

SHB pg 6

Duelists may shoot one revolver right-handed and one revolver left-handed in what is commonly referred to as “Double Duelist”. Double Duelist is NOT a standalone shooting category. 

SHB pg 44

Double Duelist shooting style – revolvers cocked and fired one handed and unsupported, five shots with each hand.  The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem. 

aged based categories use the 'traditional' or two handed shooting grip.

SHB pg 46

Two handed shooting style – aka “Traditional,” or shooter holds a single revolver with two hands. 

Shooting smokeless powder, with a two-handed 'traditional' grip, you should choose from on of the following age based categories:

AGE BASED CATEGORIES

Age based categories are offered to allow all participants to compete amongst their peers.  Age based categories carry the following guidelines:

- May use any main match revolver.

- Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter.

- May use any SASS legal main match shotgun and any legal main match rifle.

- May use any SASS legal ammunition.  

Age based categories:

- Buckaroo/Buckarette: 13 and under. 

- Junior Boy/Junior Girl: 16 and under.

- Wrangler/Lady Wrangler: Age 36 and up.

- Forty-Niner/Lady Forty-Niner: Age 49 and up.

- Senior/Lady Senior: Age 60 and up.

- Silver Senior/Lady Silver Senior: Age 65 and up.

- Elder Statesman/Grand Dame: Age 70 and up.

- Cattle Baron/Cattle Baroness: Age 75 and up.

- El Patron/La Patrona: Age 80 and up. 

You can also shoot in the Open Age category of Cowboy.

You may wish to try a crossdraw holster on your left side. While it requires additional attention on maintaining muzzle control, it can be very fast.  I'm about 10 minutes south of you if you want to borrow one and give it a try.  I might even be tempted to show you a few tricks FJT showed me years ago.

40 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

You may wish to try a crossdraw holster on your left side. While it requires additional attention on maintaining muzzle control, it can be very fast.  I'm about 10 minutes south of you if you want to borrow one and give it a try.  I might even be tempted to show you a few tricks FJT showed me years ago.

I appreciate the offer but I have a crossdraw that I wear when taking the handgun along in the woods.  I found one of Dead Eye's YouTube videos that show a much smoother transition from left to right hand, so I'm going to try that.  Some practice with snap caps shows some promise.

30 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

NEVER!!!!

Amen, brother.  That's why I added the smiley.

I'm carrying my 7th Cavalry 45 Colt revolver deer hunting this coming fall.  I got a nice 11 t. buck with the 45 Colt lever action last year.  Trust me, I won't be using the same light loads I use in SASS though.

Archived