SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92, to dock or not dock the mag spring

stef75

Pards, got a new Rossi 92 357 which feeds short 38's marvellously( Im talking COAL of 1.43" and wide FP bullets, and Im really impressed with that) but despite being a big gorilla, pushing rounds into that gate is bringing tears to my eyes by the 10th round. The gate was rough so that got fixed. Now wondering what to do next as there is serious resistance getting rounds in there. I dont like modyfing things too much as I figure a lot of shooting or dry firing will fix any internal roughness. But I dont predict that load gate is going to gert any easier by itself.  I heard shortening the mag spring can help? Thoughts on this. I dont want to affect this guns ability to feed 38 special is all.

If the existing spring works properly, if stiffly, get a replacement spring and dock that one.   That way if it creates problems, you can go back to the original unmodified one.

The cost of the springs is not all that much.   Heck, there may even be an aftermarket lighter one out there.   File this under how to make changes without modifying any original pieces.

Just now, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

If the existing spring works properly, if stiffly, get a replacement spring and dock that one.   That way if it creates problems, you can go back to the original unmodified one.

The cost of the springs is not all that much.   Heck, there may even be an aftermarket lighter one out there.   File this under how to make changes without modifying any original pieces.

This is what I would do.  Buy a replacement part, modify it however I want, but keep the original unchanged.

Well I just paid some more attention to rounds feeding into the mag and this is happening.

Realised its catching at a point entering the magazine so there must be a bevel or imperfection there somewhere. I assume pulling the gun down and taking a look at that is the next course of action.

new-main.jpg

They arent for SASS,  just magtech factory stuff I had on hand for testing the cycling as thery are short length 38's.  For the record they cycle fast and eject fine, however they are just hard to get into the magazine, there is a definite 'catch' I have to push though, and these marks show up roughly the same place, about 7 o'clock position if one were looking into the mag tube from the breech end. Therein lies the culprit I guess. I am not much of a DIY guy but cant hurt to at least take a look.

12 hours ago, stef75 said:

Well I just paid some more attention to rounds feeding into the mag and this is happening.

Realised its catching at a point entering the magazine so there must be a bevel or imperfection there somewhere. I assume pulling the gun down and taking a look at that is the next course of action.

Based on the misshapen bullets shown in your photo, they’re slamming into the top of the chamber as they feed from the lifter. The gun is meant to handle .357 mag length cartridges which have a longer OAL. You can solve the problem with .357 mag cartridges or reloads that are around 1.05 OAL and a truncated cone bullet. 

I considered that but its definetly going into the magazine. I pick them out off the lifter without chambering and the damage is already there. It is less than the photos show, the effect of the camera makes it look like a chunk is taken out but its more of a shiny scuff. Same thing is happening with my full length 357 factory 125JHP which is no good.  The gun is meant to feed them no problem,  not just cowboy rounds.  I'll will send to mad mick to take a look and  install some of palo verde goodies while he is at it. Thanks all.

Looks like a couple of things you might try after you knock the sharp edges of the loading gate port.  Reduce the length of the magazine sprint to the point that about 4” stick out of the magazine and reduce the tension of the loading gate spring.  Steve’s Gunz May not be able to ship gun parts to Australia, but maybe you can get a copy of his video on tuning the 92.  It’s a worthwhile investment.

Thanks I asked him for his video but he doesnt deal at all internationally. I was considering asking fellas for a pirated copy , I'd even paypal Steve the money afterwards with a thankyou. : D

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2020 at 11:30 PM, stef75 said:

Well I just paid some more attention to rounds feeding into the mag and this is happening.

new-main.jpg

maddogsgunsandgear.com is on QLD Gold Coast.  He has Rossi 92 Stainless Steel Mag Springs and Stainless Steel follower kits that will

fix your loading tension problems. Spring is full length. If your gun is 20 or 24 inch just pop it in. I have 16 inch barrel so the trick is to cut it so

about 3 inches protrudes from mag tube on slack. If you have binding at port where mag tube enters receiver buff it up with fine wet and dry

and apply dry or non-petroleum lube. The mag tube is easy to extract from forend should wet and dry not do the trick ... use very fine file.

Mad Dog does all work on Rossi's and he is very good. Problem is he is so good there is a big waiting list for his services. 

David

Archived