SASS Wire Forum

The Creek Fire

This morning, I looked out the window and saw a remarkable, huge billowy white cloud reaching an amazing height off in the distance in an otherwise clear sky, brightly illuminated by the rising sun.

The sky is no longer clear.  Maybe thirty miles east of here is the Creek Fire... the cloud I'd seen was an early "marker."

By this afternoon, 45,500 acres were involved with zero % contaiment.  As of 9:00 pm , that number has been revised to 73,278 acres with zero % containment.  It has been reported that there is so much smoke and flame it has created micro-storms, which have generated lightning activity that has started many smaller fires over a huge area.

Earlier today over 200 people were rescued from the Mammoth Pool area by National Guard helicopters.  A number of communities and small towns have been evacuated; I know a few people who had to flee.  The most current map I've been able to find (early this evening) showed the edge of the fire within a mile of our Boy Scout camp, Camp Chawanakee, on Shaver Lake, well within the evacuation area.  The camp is located on a peninsula on the lake; hopefully it will escape destruction.  Many, many people in the area have not been so fortunate.

This makes those comments everyone here have contributed to the California wildfire discussions much more poignant.  Even my own, regarding what I referred to as "California's intentional forest and wild-land management malpractice."  Of course, this brings to mind Donald Trump's inspection of the state's fire devastation two years ago. I recall that he had "schooled" the then Governor Brown and Lt Governor Newsom on that very subject.  Interesting but not surprising, they blamed "climate change," and accordingly assigned a goodly part of that blame to Trump himself.

Of course, there's absolutely no value to the earlier discussed issues of environmentalist groups suing to stop fire risk mitigation activities.  These actions included clearing trees and brush from power transmission corridors, clearing "fire breaks" across open lands, and forcing the stop of maintaining "fire roads" used by firefighting crews and equipment to access remote areas.  Years past I hiked many, many miles of those "roads" (in actuality, wide trails).  Many of these, if not most, are now gone.  Berms had been bulldozed over access points to prevent vehicle access, and they are now overgrown and oft times indistinguishable from the surrounds.  Pretty much useless.

But no... no responsibility at all can be assigned to the state's leadership and their sycophantic "Environmental Justice Warriors."  The blame is clearly that of the current administration and all who do not worship at the Alter of Global Warming Climate Change.

Sheesh.  :angry:

San Francisco Chronicle

1,000 people have been trapped near Mammoth Pool in Fresno County.

“I'm not aware any wildfire-related emergency evacuation airlift anywhere approaching this scale in the United States. Incredible, “ UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain tweeted Sunday, adding: “And very lucky this was an option. Meteorological conditions during this airlift must have been extremely dicey.”

The first group of people was rescued from the Mammoth Pool reservoir area, said Capt. Jason Sanchez, a public affairs officer for the California National Guard. Evacuees were triaged at the airport, and some were taken to Saint Agnes Medical Center and Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno and Clovis Community Medical Center for treatment. For evacuees who were not injured, Sanchez said Army personnel were working to find lodging for them.

Sanchez — who was at the Fresno airport on Saturday night — told The Chronicle that multiple emergency crews were waiting for more evacuees at the airport. Firefighters and paramedics were on standby, as well as Army and air crews with the National Guard, and county emergency personnel.

“We’re all here, we’re all integrated (and) working together to help the evacuees, and to triage any medical need,” Sanchez said. “It’s quite an impressive sight to see here. For the first group of evacuees to arrive, it was all clockwork. Efficient.”

More helicopters went back for others trapped at Mammoth Pool.

This is from much earlier, when the fire was in its infancy... and likely the cloud I saw this morning from the valley floor.  One report said that it had reached an altitude of over 50,000 feet.

Creek Fire prompts evacuation orders in Shaver Lake

I recall that he had "schooled" the then Governor Brown and Lt Governor Newsom on that very subject.  Interesting but not surprising, they blamed "climate change," and accordingly assigned a goodly part of that blame to Trump himself.

Also held him up to ridicule about "raking" the forests and made their little memes with them holding grass rakes.

But, low and behold, both Brown and Newsom quietly started implementing most of the policy changes that President Trump said were needed.  Even spending money on rakes. (photos for illustration purposes only)

Trump was right about “raking” Finnish forests | Watts Up With That?

Land Clearing Equipment, Forestry Equipment | South Carolina, North  Carolina, Georgia

2020 CATERPILLAR D6K XL D6K2 Bulldozer Stick Rake & Tree Pusher for sale

All you folks out there be safe. Prayers for you

Having similar problems in Colorado.  Had to close my windows early this morning for the smoke,  And we are probably 50 miles from the closest fire!  Daughter in Colorado Springs got a severe headache from the smoke blowing from one of the other fires!  Hope this cold front and predicted snow will help.

Stay well, Pards!

9 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

gender reveal party

A gender-reveal party is an event or celebration had during pregnancy. The primary goal of this event is the eponymous "reveal" of the baby's sex to the expecting parents, family, and friends. Wikipedia

I guess I have a dirty mind.  I was thinking,  "I'll show you mine if you show me yours.".

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

A gender-reveal party is an event or celebration had during pregnancy. The primary goal of this event is the eponymous "reveal" of the baby's sex to the expecting parents, family, and friends. Wikipedia

I guess I have a dirty mind.  I was thinking,  "I'll show you mine if you show me yours.".

Ok, I was thinking it was one of those coming out of the closet things where you announced to the world what pronoun you preferred.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

funny - we called it "playing doctor in the 50s&60s [later i thought foreplay ?] 

I posted this map of the fires and smoke a couple of days ago.  Now the smoke covers 3/4 of the US.  From Pacific coast to the Appalachian west side.

You have to go to the layers menu and knock down the sensor locations to get an a good outline of the smoke. 

https://fire.airnow.gov/

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This state has been “playing God” with the environment here for decades. We are now seeing a result of that. 

I said that twenty five years ago and even my friends turned on me.  That was about the time Ted Danson stood crotch deep in the Pacific Ocean at malibu and declared "If we don't do something NOW all of this will be frozen solid in twenty years."

I feel sorry for a lot of people in California but I'm sure glad I'm not one of them any more.

20 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

They have a video of the "reveal" on the Smith & Wesson board.

ONCE the ulltrasound has established that the woman is indeed going to have a baby, and they have figured out whether it's going to be a boy baby or a girl baby, they "reveal the gender" of the upcoming squalling brat at a party.

At this particular party they set up a target, in the knee-high dried brush. It was loaded with tannerite and a blue smoke bomb. They shot it and it exploded and released the blue smoke, letting everyone know that the baby was blue - a boy.

It also set the surrounding knee-high dried brush on fire.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:24 AM, Warden Callaway said:

I posted this map of the fires and smoke a couple of days ago.  Now the smoke covers 3/4 of the US.  From Pacific coast to the Appalachian west side.

You have to go to the layers menu and knock down the sensor locations to get an a good outline of the smoke. 

https://fire.airnow.gov/

The wind direction has changed a lot.  Now blowing the smoke out into the Pacific Ocean. 

Archived