SASS Wire Forum

8mm Mauser.

Deputy Spenser Hawk

WOW! Lando Hawk is a fantastic name! :D

8MM Mauser is definitely a man's  caliber but not so sure it fits into SASS  even though the time period fits.

I could not find it in American western history. 

Why does it matter whether or not it is cowboy, or if it can be used at a cowboy match?

The man asked a question about a gun. Appears to be asking for a recommendation for a gunsmith. If you know one that works on bolt military rifles, tell him.

Sir 

the biggest thing on 8x57 mm rifles , is to determine the bore dia. there are 2 sizes , early up to appox 1905 are a ,318 later are a .323 bore 

neat rifles , I have had some that were very accurate , 

I do not know any smiths in that area , Sorry 

some can have value , if still in full Mil, dress , most were cut down to make deer rifles , in my area 

hope this is of some help 

CB 

I have a captured K-98 very accurate and it is .323 bore.  You will have to find a gunsmith and have the head space checked, or you can purchase the go, no-go gauges from Brownells, I don't think they are very expensive.   I use PPU ammo 198 gr. have had great accuracy with this, then I reload the used brass.  I did a poor mans head space check with mine, go on the internet and it will tell you how to do it with masking tape.  Good Luck, also get a padded butt plate, those 8 mm. kick like a mule.

If you are going to use the go-no go gauges bear in mind you must remove the extractor from the bolt first.  This is very easy to do and you'll find instructions all over the internet.  

Word of advise, wartime ammo is very, very hot and will kick like the proverbial mule, a no-no from a bench rest.  Like Attica Jack says, get a padded butt plate.  You can find modern stuff loaded less powerfully.

It would help if you could post the model number of the rifle.  As was said, there are early rifles in this caliber that take the smaller diameter bullets.  Buy a set of headspace gages and remove the extractor.  In closing the bolt, do NOT force the bolt handle down on the NO-GO gage.  If the bolt rotates so it is not completely closed, and there is just a little "feel", that means the NO-GO shows good.  By the same token, if the bolt closes completely on the GO gage, you are okay there.  If, by some strange reason it didn't accept the GO gage it is possible the barrel was changed.  Worst that could happen there would be adjusting your sizing die down a bit.

Good luck and stay well!

As mentioned, more info is needed. There are a lot of surplus 8mm on the market in various condition from numerous countries.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to check a mauser for safety.  Search online for one near you.

Duffield

Archived