SASS Wire Forum

I'm Not Thrilled With His Methods

Subdeacon Joe

He makes a valid point over and over but I also was curious on who was swept.

3 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Geez, how many people did he sweep??!!

:o

2 minutes ago, Cholla said:

He makes a valid point over and over but I also was curious on who was swept.

After watching it a few dozen times I'm not thoroughly convinced that he swept anyone, although I'm not absolutely  positive that he didn't sweep someone.  Which is why my heading that I'm not thrilled with his methods.

It LOOKS to me as if he manages to keep the muzzle in the 170 degree arc downrange, but there is one of his draws, with 53 seconds remaining, that is arguably at 180 degrees.  

You could possibly say that he might have swept someone in the lane to the viewers left, and maybe his own feet or groin.  

I would have liked it a lot more if he had used a cap gun or Airsoft than his carry weapon.

Near the end of his little demonstration someone said, "put your hands up", and he immediately whipped around and shot the target three or four times.

The only person that I can think of it would come up behind me and say "put your hands up" is a cop. Is he teaching people how to shoot cops when they're being arrested?

Because I'm pretty damn sure that if a member of Bums, Looters and Murderers came up behind me, he would not say "put your hands up". He would just shoot me in the back of the head.

I always wonder why so many firearms guys are overweight. 

But while action Is always faster than reaction, you must be careful of overreaction. I’d be interested, albeit mildly, to know what his background and qualifications are.

Dude makes me nervous. A bit of a show off. 
 I didn’t hear him say “Be sure of your target before you fire. Be sure of what’s around and behind your target before you fire.”

Of course, this is a short clip that doesn’t show his entire training session so I may be judging him without knowing the entire scenario of his training session. 

I know this much, I would never jokingly say “put your hands up” if I were ever coming up behind him. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Because I'm pretty damn sure that if a member of Bums, Looters and Murderers came up behind me, he would not say "put your hands up". He would just shoot me in the back of the head.

Why? What info do you have on the Clintons? 

:ph34r:

I was wondering if, while his attention was all on the people he was teaching, someone was to somehow put in a "good guy" target - maybe the mother with baby - when he whipped around would he realize that there was a picture of a woman with a baby there or would he just shoot her three or four times?

Action does beat reaction. if you're standing there facing me with a gun in your hand, and I was quick (which I'm not), I might take a chance on drawing my gun and shooting you. You would have to react to my movement, and according to drivers ed the average person's reaction is about three-quarters of a second. if I was quick, and three quarters of a second I could draw my gun and shoot you three or four times. But we are face to face.

That guy is turning around and shooting. He doesn't know what the hell is behind him. But he shoots it.

That looks real flashy, but it's really really stupid.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Near the end of his little demonstration someone said, "put your hands up", and he immediately whipped around and shot the target three or four times.

The only person that I can think of it would come up behind me and say "put your hands up" is a cop. Is he teaching people how to shoot cops when they're being arrested?

I know nothing of this video other than what we all see here.  I get the impression that he is trying to demonstrate how fast things can go north on you, and how no matter how prepared you are (or think you are) you will not be able react fast enough if a thug is intent on getting away, or getting his way, and doesn't care who he shoots.

He may also be demonstrating to the non-badge carrying citizen just why law enforcement officers seem to start shooting before inviting the thug to tea.  The kind who ask, "Why did he have to start shooting so soon?" or "Why did he have to shoot so many times?"  Might could be he was giving a demonstration to reporters after a controversial police shooting.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

But while action Is always faster than reaction, you must be careful of overreaction. I’d be interested, albeit mildly, to know what his background and qualifications are.

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dude makes me nervous. A bit of a show off. 
 I didn’t hear him say “Be sure of your target before you fire. Be sure of what’s around and behind your target before you fire.”

Of course, this is a short clip that doesn’t show his entire training session so I may be judging him without knowing the entire scenario of his training session. 

I know this much, I would never jokingly say “put your hands up” if I were ever coming up behind him. :lol:

I’m with y’all. Something doesn’t smell right here. 

True, it’s only a small video clip, but where’s the part about identifying your target?  Where’s the part about situational awareness?  Where’s the part about responding to a lethal threat?

”Gee, Your Honor. Somebody startled me from behind so I spun real fast and triple tapped him. Sorry he was a homeless person asking for money.”

Bad guys don't give a hoot who their target is. While on the PD went through one simulator with incident like that. No officer ever reacted fast enough to get off the first round (and they had their gun out pointed at the bad buy). I think his point is that he was portraying the bad guy and do you think you could react fast enough on a situation like this. The answer is "ALWAYS NO"!

4 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Bad guys don't give a hoot who their target is. While on the PD went through one simulator with incident like that. No officer ever reacted fast enough to get off the first round (and they had their gun out pointed at the bad buy). I think his point is that he was portraying the bad guy and do you think you could react fast enough on a situation like this. The answer is "ALWAYS NO"!

Thank you.   

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

he is trying to demonstrate how fast things can go north on you,

Whaaaaaat?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I've never heard of something going north.

Something going south on you - heard that most of my life. North???:blink:

You know how it is - victors write the history and shape the language. ;)

Come winter many northerners head south.   When they retire a lot of northerners head south.  How many southrons head north?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Come winter many northerners head south.   When they retire a lot of northerners head south.  How many southrons head north?

It has nothing to do with the war. On a map, any map, let’s say Spain, north  is up and south is down. So if something went south it went down. Up is good. Down is bad.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/go_south

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Those are snow birds.

Sorta like the guy a few years ago that blocked the way to Key West after he stole a backhoe and led the LEO's on a low speed chase headed north.

He was from Wisconsin.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

You made that two words. 

It's the only way I know of to talk slowly on the internet so the the slow kids in class can get it.

Under Stand?

20 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Geez, how many people did he sweep??!!

:o

Zero.  Go watch that again.  What he's doing is a known, researched, and trained technique.  He was using what is known as a "safety circle," in which the muzzle is depressed in front of his feet but not towards anyone else.  It was pointed at the ground when not downrange -- he never brought the muzzle up until the gun was downrange.  

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I always wonder why so many firearms guys are overweight. 

Because physically they know that can't win a fight and it's easier to learn how to shoot then to diet?

He makes me uncomfortable.  In 27 years of carrying a gun for the government I never came upon a situation that required that level of speed.  He is good but his overall style and process is prone for error.  Just my thoughts.....

Archived