SASS Wire Forum

I'm thinning the herd and need some advice

Noz

The proceeds from my thinning will go for an upgrade somewhat as follows.

I need a whitetail gun and tottering between 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm-08,  a possible 250 Savage or a 250 Bob. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Noz said:

I need a whitetail gun and tottering between 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm-08,  a possible 250 Savage or a 250 Bob. Any thoughts?

Place your shots right and any one of them will do. 

I shot one with a 7mm-08 and made the bloodist trail you ever did see.  It still went a hundred yards and slid under a tree top.  Took an hour to find. 

I shoot a 260 Remington Cal in a Savage Lite Hunter with 6.5  140 gr Hornaday bullet. The combination does a job on Whitetail Deer.

The gun is light and doesn't kick the snot out of you. 

The 260 Remington , 6.5 Creedmore and 7mmo8 are all based on the 308 case

I am a fan of the 257 bob. All of the caliber choices you listed will work well. Problem you will find is choice of ammo. 257 Bob and 250 savage are really limited on commercial ammo. The accuracy is also limited to around 250-300 yards. 7-08 been around awhile but not as well known as 243 or 308 types that have large choices. 6.5 Creedemore is only been out for few years but has been very popular. The 6.5 very fast accurate round the long range shooter loves.

Last fall I took a deer with 6.5 Creedemore, dropped it in his tracks. This was the first time hunting with it, won't be the last.

The 6.5 Creedmore is very popular so there is a great choice and availability (normally - not right now) of ammunition options.

As mentioned, it is flat shooting, speed6 and accurate with relatively mild recoil.

So of those listed, that would be my choice.

Whitetail...any of those Cals will work well. 

Out of your list I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Soft shooting with excellent choices of factory ammo. Second choice would be either the 7mm-08 or 257.

The choices for effective whitetail cartridges are pretty endless... So the real question becomes "do I want something different then what I already have.... Or what everyone else has?". 

Phantom

I like the 25-06 myself, but here in Mid Missouri I have taken 12 Whitetail with handguns 

4 of them with the 38 Super, the others with 44mag, 10mm, and 357mag

As Warden Callaway said with good shot placement they will all work 

I've shot deer with 243 WIN, 30/30, 260 REM, 6.5 CM, 270 WIN, 308 WIN, 12 GA, and even my 1873 Winchester in 45 Colt.

Now almost all my deer hunting is with the 260 or the Creedmoor.  I love the 260, but they make so few guns in it now I went with the Creedmoor for my recent rifle purchase.  No two rounds will ever be as close together as those two.  I have my 260 in a Ruger M77 Compact (16.5" barrel) with a 2-7X scope that I use in thicker woods and from treestands.  My Creedmoor is a Ruger American Predator with a 4-12 scope.  I use it with 140 gr bullets for whitetail and 90 gr bullets for coyotes.

Rem 600 in .243 if you can find one. Light, short & anything around 6MM should do the trick.

I have the 6.5 creed and 7-08. Both are flat shooting low recoil rounds.  The 6.5 a little flatter.    Ive never shot them at deer but have taken several elk with both calibers.     Deer I generally use my .45 or .357 vaqueros 

I have shot a Ruger M77 in 25-06 since about 1970. I even built one when it was a wildcat called a .25 Neider back in the 50"s. I have shot a couple of hundred deer and antelope with it. Still shooting it today. I have also shot bear and feral hogs with it too. So.....you know what I think is the best caliber!

What platform(s) are you looking at?  :)

My favorite .250... Savage Model 1920.  I gave this one to my son several years ago.  Weighs under six lbs.

Kinda hard to find these days.

1625704350_Savage203.thumb.jpg.790ab73a9ce7fd252cda9e9892d02ea0.jpg

My right shoulder started talking to me about recoil a couple of years ago, so the last three deer have fallen to a dramatically downloaded .270 Winchester.  I debated about trading for a Bob, but my pansy .270  still takes them down quickly.  I would recommend shooting each one of those calibers if you can before buying, just to be sure it’s what you want.

Let me know what you plan to sell.  You never know...

I don't hunt, but the 6.5 Creedmoor is likely to be the best of the the calibers you mentioned for effectiveness, accuracy, mild recoil, distance and versatility.  Additionally it will probably be the easiest of the four to find commercial ammo in a gun store.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I had a Remington Mohawk 600 in 6mm.  Did about as miserable job as I've ever done on a spike buck. 

Years ago, the 12-year-old son of a friend took a nice cow elk with a 6mm Remington in a 600 Mohawk.  One shot. Never hunted white tails, muley's only, with a .30-06. Bullet construction and placement are what matter.

The 6.5 is very popular around here. We raffled one of at the VFW last year..

I’d pick 7mm-08 or 6.5CM.  257 Roberts and 250 Savage are not commonly stocked in local stores.  7mm has a lot of availability and many youth/reduced recoil options as shoulders age.  

I have the first three and still shoot the 270 Win more than those three.  Chose the 25-06 Rem over the 250 Savage and it sits too.

I gave up stand hunting years ago.  I just hunt on my farm and know the trails well.  I ground hunt or sneak along and stop for awhile.  I hunt in the woods or edge of small fields.  I've taken more than I can count on my fingers and toes. The majority with a Marlin 1895 45-70 loaded warm with 350 jacketed solf point. 

I've also used 50-70 in Trapdoor 1868. Also 45-70 in Trapdoor and Winchester Hi-Wall. Cast bullet,  black powder. 

I took one doe with a Thompson Contender with 14" barrel chambered in 35 Remington.  Fell in it's tracks. Made a half dollar size hole through its heart. 

5aaec437538e1_garydeer001a.JPG.9479e9b491d4eaff00cb74bc17aacc07.JPG

This one I took with 30-06 with 165 gr Serra bullet from 80 yards +/-.  Bullet did hit bone and didn't go all the way through.  I found it under the skin on the opposite side.  He only went about 50 yards so it did its job.

He would have scored well but non-typical 13 points.  Sawmill Mary was mad because she had super cooked and had to go help me drag out and load up a deer.  

26 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

If anyone wants I have a 243 my back wont let me shoot anymore.

And a few round of ammo too.

Best

CR

My daughter loves her 243 Remington 700. I would be interested in more info just in case a current deal I’m trying to work for a FN in 257 Bob falls through. PM me if you like. Or post in classified.

When I was younger I took a ton of white tail.....all with a 94 Winchester in .30-30.  All but three were one shot kills at 50 yards or less.

These days I have some "new" favorites: .35 Remington, .30 U.S. Krag (.30-40), 6.5 x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, and .250-3,000 Savage.

I keep a couple of .45-70 U. S. Springfield rifles for big stuff

NOZ 

I like the old mil rifles , the 7-08 is a balastic twin to the old 7mm Mauser 

I feel the 6.5 Creedmore , is pretty well a 6.5 Swede 

the 243 Win does a fine job , if loaded with 100 gn projectiles 

the 8mm , 30 06 , 30-40 , are good all around cartages 

way too many to list that will get the job done , bullet placement is the key to gettin it done 

give me a call , if ya want , hope ya  are feeling better 

Chickasaw 

On 9/6/2020 at 2:42 AM, Noz said:

You meant .257 Bob, right?

In any event, all of those would be just fine on whitetail deer.  The 7mm-08 might be a tad large for it, depending on how far you think you'll need to shoot.  It will certainly maintain a lot of power at longer ranges, whereas the others will drop.  But if you're hunting thick timer like I do, a 100 yard shot would be on the long end!  

15 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I gave up stand hunting years ago.  I just hunt on my farm and know the trails well.  I ground hunt or sneak along and stop for awhile.  I hunt in the woods or edge of small fields.  I've taken more than I can count on my fingers and toes. The majority with a Marlin 1895 45-70 loaded warm with 350 jacketed solf point. 

I've also used 50-70 in Trapdoor 1868. Also 45-70 in Trapdoor and Winchester Hi-Wall. Cast bullet,  black powder. 

I took one doe with a Thompson Contender with 14" barrel chambered in 35 Remington.  Fell in it's tracks. Made a half dollar size hole through its heart. 

5aaec437538e1_garydeer001a.JPG.9479e9b491d4eaff00cb74bc17aacc07.JPG

This one I took with 30-06 with 165 gr Serra bullet from 80 yards +/-.  Bullet did hit bone and didn't go all the way through.  I found it under the skin on the opposite side.  He only went about 50 yards so it did its job.

He would have scored well but non-typical 13 points.  Sawmill Mary was mad because she had super cooked and had to go help me drag out and load up a deer.  

That bullet did exactly what it was designed to do and what I expect from my reloads. It expended 100% of it's energy with the body of the deer and performed perfectly.

I stick to calibers where I can buy ammo at any mom and pop gun store in any little town if needed.  A friend of mine forgot his ammo on a northern NM deer hunt, 270 WSM and he had to drive to Durango, CO to find it.  I just kept hunting.... 

49 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

You meant .257 Bob, right?

Is this a .257 Roberts? If so it is a great cartridge for deer sized game. In my late twenties I had a gunsmith rechamber a Thompson Contender barrel in .256 Win Mag to . 257 Roberts to have a handgun to match my rifle.  Not one of my better choices in conversions, the muzzle blast and flames were something to behold!  I have hunted deer and elk for years with my Ruger model 77 .300 Win Mag, and a Santa Barbara Mauser in .270. I have a Marlin .444 and 1893 Marlin 30-30 that I use for hunting in brushy areas.

I think if I was starting over now I would go with the 6.5 Creedmore. My brother in law is shooting his out to 1200 yards. 

1 hour ago, Ethan Cord said:

Is this a .257 Roberts? If so it is a great cartridge for deer sized game. In my late twenties I had a gunsmith rechamber a Thompson Contender barrel in .256 Win Mag to . 257 Roberts to have a handgun to match my rifle.  Not one of my better choices in conversions, the muzzle blast and flames were something to behold!  I have hunted deer and elk for years with my Ruger model 77 .300 Win Mag, and a Santa Barbara Mauser in .270. I have a Marlin .444 and 1893 Marlin 30-30 that I use for hunting in brushy areas.

I think if I was starting over now I would go with the 6.5 Creedmore. My brother in law is shooting his out to 1200 yards. 

Yes, the Roberts is sometimes called the "Bob."  But the OP put .250 Bob, with which I am unfamiliar and assumed he was referring to the .257.

Archived