SASS Wire Forum

BB Guns / Air Guns

Col Del Rio

Daisy Red Ryder & Co'2 pistol in the garage or out in back yard plinking away. Hell with all this triple degree weather i some times doo it right inside with the A/C. It keeps yah going pilgrims. Waaaa, Haw!

This the Colt Single Action sold by Pyramid Air. It is made by Umarex and is very good to use for practice. It is a bit slow to use because you have to remove the six cartridges, load with a BB and ten reload. One co2 cartridge lasts long enough for me in a practice session.

1572967863_20200906_1121171.thumb.jpg.f690d0d2763d9ab419008745a5c57db2.jpg

Here in Sacramento county, it is illegal (felony?) to shoot a BB or Pellet gun in the back yard.
We both have Beeman/Weihrauch barrel-break pellet rifles that we can no longer shoot at home.
However, it is fully legal to shoot a compound hunting bow.. as long as you take precautions not to hit anybody.

We have a Henry Frontier in 22LR for practice at the range.
It is a downsized 1894CB clone, and a real pleasure to shoot.
22LR is hard to find right now, but we are well stocked.

We also practice weekly with Ruger Single Six Bisleys in 22LR, same reason.

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

Here in Sacramento county, it is illegal (felony?) to shoot a BB or Pellet gun in the back yard.

Ridiculous and annoying how just about every city and county hereabouts has to pass these absurd restrictions in the name of the Almighty Nanny State....

Seamus

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

Quick google, found this (my bold):

https://qcode.us/codes/sacramentocounty/view.php?topic=9-9_36-9_36_060&frames=on

9.36.060 Firearms, Air Guns, and Other Weapons. 

No person other than peace officers in the discharge of their duties shall use, maintain, possess, fire, or discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and arrow, slingshot, or any other weapon potentially dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the Director for such use. A violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor. (SCC 576 § 15, 1983.)

I see the bolded word unconstitutional on its face.

You also wrote:

However, it is fully legal to shoot a compound hunting bow.. as long as you take precautions not to hit anybody.

Um, not according to that law. But maybe you can take solace that it is only a misdemeanor, not a felony. Or you could do like I did and move to the United States.

Thanks for the clarification and the correction of my failing memory.
For the moment, you can take pride in living elsewhere than in CA.
However, what is now in CA, NY is soon to be in TX and TN.

Texas has gone Blue enough where Beto the Fake Mexican came within 2.6% of unseating Ted Cruz.
Same as Austin and Houston, you will find more liberals moving into Nashville and Memphis,  then turning your version of "the united states" into the CA version.

As to unconstitutional, it is very apparent you have never been through the legal system.
Been there, done that, several times... it is ghastly expensive and beyond the reach of mere mortals.

NRA, GOA, GOC and CRPA don't have much success here fighting constitutional arguments.
The abysmal gun laws in CA are living proof of how truly impotent these deep pockets are in fighting constitutional issues.

Here in Sacramento county, we can still get powder and primers by mail order.
If they bring us into the city of Sacramento, all those items will be banned as well.

So, we don't shoot our pellet guns anymore.
If I have to drive 40 miles to the range, it won't be for shooting pellet guns.

I have (1) Walther Lever Action / Winchester 1894 Replica CO2 / .177 pellet rifle, and (2) Umarex John Wayne Peacemaker Colt SAA Replica pistols, which are also CO2 / .177 pellet. 

Lot of fun shooting in the backyard or basement range for either winter practice or pandemic lock-down mental health therapy!

0319161618.thumb.jpg.6b8bbe2f4391c4a0a58ced4bcb5ae420.jpg

I like the Umerex “Colts”.  I made a speed loader for my BB pistols that saved a lot of hassle with the reloading.

C935F19A-8723-41C1-BA60-3334170AB3DD.jpeg

On 9/6/2020 at 8:47 AM, bgavin said:

Unless I misunderstand what the Sacramento County Code, Title 9 Public Peace, Morals and Safety  Chapter 9.36 PARK REGULATIONS

(https://qcode.us/codes/sacramentocounty/view.php?topic=9-9_36-9_36_060&frames=on)

it appears to me to reference the use of the "weapons" inside the perimeter of a designated PARK.  I would think that using an air gun inside your basement or garage would not be against the county code.  But that's just how I see it.  Our Nation State may look at it differently.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, Lucky R. K. said:

This the Colt Single Action sold by Pyramid Air. It is made by Umarex and is very good to use for practice. It is a bit slow to use because you have to remove the six cartridges, load with a BB and ten reload. One co2 cartridge lasts long enough for me in a practice session.

1572967863_20200906_1121171.thumb.jpg.f690d0d2763d9ab419008745a5c57db2.jpg

I got this same gun, I use it all the time in the basement!

9 hours ago, German Jim said:

I would think that using an air gun inside your basement or garage would not be against the county code.  But that's just how I see it.  Our Nation State may look at it differently.

I'm in CA...
No such thing as a basement or a garage with free space...
< grin >

Humor aside, we have a nice back yard with a very large and secure back stop.
I would love to use our pellet rifles and match pistol, but we have a CA neighbor who would no doubt turn me in.

39 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I would love to use our pellet rifles and match pistol, but we have a CA neighbor who would no doubt turn me in.

Maybe invite the neighbor over and show them how much fun you can have? 

We got new city neighbors move in way up the drive. He heard shots and sent me a text asking if everything was ok?

First next time he was down I showed him my private shooting range. I explained that I'm shooting into bullet traps and have an old sawdust pile as backup and a forest a half mile deep behind for backup, backup. I explained our cowboy action shooting hobby and that I test guns, ammo and practice. He was ok with that. 

He's going to have to get over being gunshy because there is shooting going on all around any time day or night. Now until deer season it'll sound like a war zone. 

Nope.
This is the sort of neighbor that promises to go in half on a good-neighbor fence, then welshes the deal.
He is is the sort that berates clerks at Walmart if a sale item is not on the shelf.

I wouldn't piss down his throat if his guts were on fire.

I participate in an international air pistol league that shoots .177 pistols at 10 meters all year round on NRA targets. Due to the Kung Flu it became an Internet league with the participants shooting at home and scanning their targets. It's all slow fire, 30 shots, 5 per target in 45 minutes. It's not CAS, but is shooting participation.  BTW - A top-notch target air pistol (Hammerlli, Walther, etc.) runs about $2K and can shoot one hole at 10 meters. Like an idiot, sold my Walther CP2and Baikal IZH as had moved to an area where there were no air pistol competition's. Am using low-end guns as don't want to dump big $$$ into another high-end gun, but should probably do so as I'm so old that don't want to get my lazy butt out of bed early for CAS matches. Have also been shooting a lot of trap at a range 10 minutes from my house that starts practice at noon. 

We have a nice Feinwerkbau 65 pistol in .177 we got in the late 70s or very early 80s.
I wanted to expose the grand kids to it, but CA laws being what they are.. and we have no basement.. so it sits in the safe.
Same goes for our Weihrauch rifles.

I shoot trap weekly, at a 45 minute drive from the house.
When the smoke isn't so bad, I practice my SASS stuff afterwards.
These last few weeks... far too much air pollution.

bgavin - My first air pistol was a Daisy 717 which I still use even after several rebuilds. My second was a Feinwerkbau 65 which I sold to get a Walther CP1. Should have kept it as they last forever while building muscles in the meanwhile. Send me a note if you ever want to get rid of the 65; wonderful trigger. We are experiencing smoke pollution from the fires here in WV. The sun was bright orange at 3pm.  Cannot imagine what you are dealing with in CA.

Just some trivia, after several years of serious competition with the CP1, it blew out the seals. Walther replaced it with a new CP2 under their 5 year Warranty.  Not too long ago, got a SIG Super Target air pistol. The rear sight pin started backing out, sent it to SIG for repairs and they sent me a new replacement in a week. Again covered by a 5 year warranty. The Germans understand service.

churchkey - the Feinwerkbau 65 is completely recoil-free.  The action rides on a precision roller bed, independent of the grip.

The production years went from 1965 to 1998.  Some 145,000 were manufactured.
The hardware remained the same over the years, and most parts are interchangeable between old and new production.

I got both our HW and the FWB from Beeman after they moved to their new location on Paul Drive in San Rafael CA.
We had them all accurized before taking delivery.
We lived about a mile away at the time.

Thinking back on this... these were our very first "gun" purchases.
It was a whole lot simpler back then.

Archived