SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Carrier for 44 Russian?

Hilo Willy

Howdy

I'm toying with the idea of switching to 44 Russian in my Cimarron/Uberti '73 in 44 special.  Any insights?  I have a Smith No. 3 in 44 Russian that I occasionally use in matches but usually I have 2 Rugers - one in 44 spl and the other is 44 mag.  I do use 44 Russian in the Rugers but lately I've been using 44 spl so I don't have to carry different ammo (rifle vs. pistol).  Haven't been able to find any reviews -- if you know of any, please pass it on to me.

Thanks

Keep safe and well.

Willy

Hokey Dokey Jimminie Oakie.  Or, in other words, I have a "Smith Shop" Carrier Block in my 1866 Trapper so I can run 44 Russian cases.  It works super fine.  Nary a bit of trouble.  Be careful with your Over All Length.  In point of fact, I shot a match just TODAY with the '66 Trapper.  Ran the Russians like wet grain thru a Goose.  Go for it. 

I ran 44 Russians in my 73 with a Happy Trails carrier for a few years while shooting Russian revolvers. Never had a problem, unless I forgot to push last round past the stop.

17 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I have a "Smith Shop" Carrier Block in my 1866 Trapper so I can run 44 Russian cases.  It works super fine.  Nary a bit of trouble.  

I understand this carrier solves some other problem in the '66 "ladle" or ??

Q: is the installation a PITA or straight forward?

I picked up brass and dies for 44 Russian, but have not yet loaded any.

bgavin

Yes.  It does to an extent solve the '66 Ladle problem.  The best solution to the Ladle problem is to replace or reinforce the Ladle.

The installation is very straight forward.  Remove the OEM Carrier Block and install the modified Carrier Block.  Go play.

FORGOT:  When shooting short cases, don't forget to load the last round past the Cartridge Stop in the carrier.

For some reason only the ladle on the 66 has had problems.  I have not heard of any problems on the 73.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Thanks!
Is the ladle only found in the '66, or also in the '73?

Cowboy and Indian store has an upgraded '73 ladle.  I have asked why in the past and was told that "occasionally" they can fail.  Like Nickle City Dude, I've never heard of one, either.

NCD and bgavin

Wabac (thank you Sherman and the Professor), Uberti had the cartridge stop portion of the Ladle as a long blade, soldered/welded to the back of the Ladle.  Very solid and I have never heard of one failing.  Then, with infinite wisdom, Uberti elected to "enhance" the Ladle by going to Bent Tab.  It wasn't if that little tab was going to break, just how soon.

The '73 Ladle has the entire width of the "spoon" bent down as the cartridge stop not just a little tab.  I have heard of one failing but have never personally seen not that failed.  Interestingly, Shotgun Boogie offers an "improved" '73 Ladle that looks to be really Trix. 

Hi Willy.  It's really easy to judge OAL with a Toggle link rifle.  Load your cases so they fit INSIDE the Carrier Block hen backed u to the cartridge stop.  The actual inches, feet, millimeters, etc. is immaterial.  Just lay the cartridge in the carrier, against the stop and if the nose of the bullet is inside the front face of the block, your gold.

Since we are discussing the Smith Shop Carrier Block, I would like to mention, I also run the Smith Shop Carriers in two of my Henry Rifles, in a '73 Trapper and in a Henry Trapper.  Those rifles run Cowboy 45 Special cases.  Super fun to stuff 18 rounds in a Henry.  Loads on Sunday and Shoots all > > > > > > >  :D

Archived