SASS Wire Forum

Stagecoach

Utah Bob #35998

Coming up on  TCM in a few minutes. I just came in for a break from brush cuttin. I think I’ll make a sammich and stay awhile. :D

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Which version? Willy as Doc Holiday is a hard sell.

I don't think Doc got on the coach....;) But then, I don't know anything about the 'remake'....

I watched the original again 2 or 3 months ago. A really great movie.

Here's a question: how many 'stagecoach' movies are out there? By that, I mean the scenario with the disparate bunch of characters thrown together on the stagecoach outa town, with the story playing out with the relations between the passengers?

One other that I can think of right away is Hombre, another truly fine movie with a great cast.

2 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Which version? Willy as Doc Holiday is a hard sell.

Willie! :lol::P That thing was a mess. Most remakes are. :rolleyes:

I looked it up and now see the 1986 made-for-TV remake has Doc Holliday on the stagecoach. Weird indeed.

Looking at the stuff on the 1966 movie, which sounds like a straight remake: it has an incredible high-powered cast. Like a lot of those '60s movies with ensembles of big stars.

There are some fine actors listed there-- is the movie worth watching on its own merits?

13 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I looked it up and now see the 1986 made-for-TV remake has Doc Holliday on the stagecoach. Weird indeed.

Looking at the stuff on the 1966 movie, which sounds like a straight remake: it has an incredible high-powered cast. Like a lot of those '60s movies with ensembles of big stars.

There are some fine actors listed there-- is the movie worth watching on its own merits?

Not great. It was in color. But it didn’t seem to have the soul of Ford’s original. I think if they would have made it so easy for with a cast of unknowns it would have been better.

Not really much. Point in watching it in my opinion. Some disagree.

4 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I read something at the time the second one came out that the studio was hoping it would make Alex Cord a star like the original did for Duke.

Oh , well............

Rex :D

That was movie so forgettable I had to look up Alex Cord to see what he looked like. 

48 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Dang it, was able to catch the last 15 mins!  Time to check out Amazon!

OOPS!  Checked out Amazon for it and Hombre,. but found both a bit pricey!

If you have one of the services that carry On Demand channels, it is available from TCM On Demand. E.g., on DirecTV, it is on channel 1256 (at least for me).

I am only aware of 2 versions, the 1939 original and the 1966 version with 
Ales Cord, Ann Margaret, Bing Crosby, Red Buttons Mike Connors, Robert Cummings and Slim Pickens. 

I thought the 1939 version was the better of the two. 

Interesting footnote; the 1938 version with JW, the party was headed across southern states, and the 

1966 version they were traveling across Wyoming. Different Coach lines I suppose. 

I had heard of other versions, but never paid much attention to them. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

That would be the Bing Crosby, Ann-Margret version?

Yeah I didn't think much of it.

That one is my favorite.

Did not think to much for Bing in it. But liked Cord. And anything with Ann Margret.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I am only aware of 2 versions, the 1939 original and the 1966 version with 
Ales Cord, Ann Margaret, Bing Crosby, Red Buttons Mike Connors, Robert Cummings and Slim Pickens. 

I thought the 1939 version was the better of the two. 

Interesting footnote; the 1938 version with JW, the party was headed across southern states, and the 

1966 version they were traveling across Wyoming. Different Coach lines I suppose. 

I had heard of other versions, but never paid much attention to them. 

They ended up in Lordsburg NM, ( supposedly) which is one heckuva long way from Monument Valley. :D. 
But John Ford was not one to let reality interfere with a story. 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They ended up in Lordsburg NM, ( supposedly) which is one heckuva long way from Monument Valley. :D. 
But John Ford was not one to let reality interfere with a story. 

Peacock (the whiskey salesman) was on his way to Kansas City. Always thought that an odd route. But then, Lordsburg might have been a hub like today’s airlines.  ^_^

Stagecoach as a story/allegory resonates with me.  Even the one with Willie.  It may be the only foolproof script that Hollywood has ever conceived.  I was a senior in college at the University of Colorado when the first remake premiered in Denver (it was filmed west of Denver).  I took my love of the moment to that event, and though that personal relationship did not flourish as hoped at the time, I can still watch the movie, 53 years later with fond memories and appreciation.  Yeah, Duke’s 1939 version is the best.

But, If you can’t watch a movie with Ann-Margaret, Slim Pickens, Bing Crosby, etc., and enjoy it, man...!

Stagecoach has one of those things the movie guys call a 'trope'; an old recurring theme or device in a story. In this case, a group of disparate strangers thrown together in some common enterprise or peril.

Like The Canterbury Tales....it's a great story form. ....most any WWII movie platoon...

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Peacock (the whiskey salesman) was on his way to Kansas City. Always thought that an odd route. But then, Lordsburg might have been a hub like today’s airlines.  ^_^

No, he just wanted to survive this trip, so he could return to the bosom of his family, in Kansas City Kansas.

17 hours ago, Alpo said:

That would be the Bing Crosby, Ann-Margret version?

Yeah I didn't think much of it.

If one didn't see the original, then the Bing Crosby version was  a good movie.  It was like the remake of Angel and the badman with the Duke.  If you didn't see the original, the remake with Lou Diamond Phillips was a good movie.

12 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

But, If you can’t watch a movie with Ann-Margaret, Slim Pickens, Bing Crosby, etc., and enjoy it, man...!

:lol::wub:

1 hour ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

If one didn't see the original, then the Bing Crosby version was  a good movie.  It was like the remake of Angel and the badman with the Duke.  If you didn't see the original, the remake with Lou Diamond Phillips was a good movie.

I wonder how many people would have liked the Bogie version of The Maltese Falcon, if they had seen the Ricardo Cortez version 10 years earlier?

Annex%20-%20Cortez,%20Ricardo%20(Maltese

Or the Bette Davis version 5 years earlier? With Warren Williams as Bogie,

Bette as Mary Astor, Arthur Treacher as Peter Lorre, and a fat woman as Sidney Greenstreet.

satan-met-a-lady-3.thumb.jpg.74d7bac846947efa2af887f49e9bf68b.jpg

People love the Duke's version of The Three Godfathers, but I wonder how many people would like that if they had originally seen the one with Boston Blackie, Andy Hardy's father, and Walter Brennan?

three-godfathers-1f4c655ffff3fb0f2af7254

Of course, the John Wayne version of Stagecoach is the best, but not just because of JW.  Claire Trevor is a gem in this film.  I also like her in Key Largo.  A great actress and cute, too.

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

People love the Duke's version of The Three Godfathers, but I wonder how many people would like that if they had originally seen the one with Boston Blackie, Andy Hardy's father, and Walter Brennan?

three-godfathers-1f4c655ffff3fb0f2af7254

I liked that version also. Especially Walter Brennan.  He kept changing his alias with every one he met.  I keep looking for a copy of it. 

I think there was a silent version also , with Harry Carey as one of the three , and directed by Ford.

Rex :D

O.K. , I went and looked it up , sure enough , 1916 , w/ Harry Carey , George Berell , Joe Rickson.

Then there was one in 1929 titled "Hell's Heroes" , directed by William Wyler , with Charles Bickford , Raymond Hatton , and Fred Kohler.

( I saw this one and the 1936 years ago)

The main story line was used in about a half dozen more down thru the years.

Archived