SASS Wire Forum

Splish Splash It Was Taking A Bath

Subdeacon Joe

24 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

We got crows here in beautiful downtown Everett. 

Have those,  too.  They finally gave up on trying to eat from the feeders and gather what falls from them.  Although they will stand on the roofs across from us and stare at the feeders trying to figure something out. 

I've seen both Band Tails and Eurasian Collared Doves chase them off.  Going like hell about 4 feet above the sidewalk.   

Doves, chasing off crows.  Nature is amazing. 

Boston is overrun with pigeons, due in large part to people who think its cute to feed them an endless supply of cracked corn, peanuts and bread.  

I was walking through the Public Gardens a few years ago, near the duck pond where the swan boats reside.  Crowds of folks, young and old, including some youngsters feeding the pigeons.  There was a flash across my field of view, and when it stopped, I saw an explosion of feathers at ground level, followed by the screams of children.  A peregrine falcon had swooped down and snatched its lunch, pausing long enough to eviscerate a pigeon before carrying his take-out meal away.  A mother and her 3 or 4 year old were steps away from me; the mom yelped, grabbed junior, and hurried away.  No mention of survival in Nature at their dinner table, I'd wager.

LL

12 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

.  There was a flash across my field of view, and when it stopped, I saw an explosion of feathers at ground level, followed by the screams of children.  A peregrine falcon had swooped down and snatched its lunch, pausing long enough to eviscerate a pigeon before carrying his take-out meal away. 

That must have been great to see. Thanks for the story.

@Subdeacon Joe,

What contraption is creating the bubble/ fountain effect?

NOTE:

When it's summertime and its hot, the birdbath is the place to be! ;)

23 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

What contraption is creating the bubble/ fountain effect?

It is a floating, solar powered fountain.  Something like this. We had been wanting one and I found it for a while.  I sent Lisa the link, she read reviews, poked around on Amazon, found one she liked better. I think it was about $20.  It does need full sunlight.  As the solar panel segments get into the shade the pump gets weaker and weaker.  Comes with several different heads.  The multi spout ones shoot the water higher, but when it gets near the edge of our small bird bath too much water goes on the ground.  Sets up in about a minute.  Tiny little pump with a tiny little filter which needs to be cleaned about every other day, although I clean it every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8UXMwnPtno

The pump itself is tiny and costs about eight bucks on eBay (stock photo):

Picture 88 of 90

Archived