SASS Wire Forum

Bugle call question

Alpo

In the morning you play Morning Colors (or To the Colors - same song) as you raise the flag.

In the evening you play Evening Colors as you lower the flag.

But if you were going to lower the flag sometime during the day, what would be played?

I noticed the other day that one of the neighborhood flags was in bad shape, and had a daydream about finding five boy scouts - four scouts and a bugler. Two would lower the tattered flag, while the other two stood by with the new flag, and the bugler would play - ?? Then the first two would fold the old flag, the second two would attach the new flag to the halyard, and would run it up while the bugler played To the Colors.

I daydream a lot. B)

But I could not think of what you would lower the flag to. Evening Colors says, to me at least, that the flag is down and will not go back up until tomorrow morning. so that would seem to be the wrong call for bringing it down at 1 in the afternoon.

Good question. Since Reveille is played to sound the start of the duty day, and Retreat is played to sound the end of the duty day, those are played at specific times. I suppose it would be appropriate to play To the Color without sounding retreat. Or, just wait until the end of the day, lower the flag, and raise the new one come morning.

https://www.tapsbugler.com/retreat-and-to-the-color/

I'm sure we have a few with a better knowledge of Drill and Ceremony who can chime in.

Maybe play Taps in honor of the worn out flag?

My original thought was Taps. But that's not for lowering the flag. That's for going to bed.

The lady across the street got him a new flag. It's too big for his pole.

His original flag was 3 by 5. The new flag she got him is 5 x 7. It really looks good, but it catches too much wind.

3 days ago there was a good wind blowing and that pole kept whipping back and forth. It would not surprise me if it broke with a 20 knot or higher wind.

You would not lower the flag during the day except for inclement weather, in which case no no bugle call is sounded. In the case of an unserviceable flag, it should not be flown at all unless of course it is under shot and shell like Ft. McHenry.
Upon noticing it is worn out, it should be retired when lowered at the end of the day and replaced the next morning.

This man has a light on his flag, and it flies 24/7. 

So it would that be a case of raising a damaged flag, nor a normal case of taking it down at sunset, since he doesn't take it down.

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

So it would that be a case of raising a damaged flag, nor a normal case of taking it down at sunset, since he doesn't take it down.

turn the light off and take it down at sunset

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Removing a flag and replacing it is not case for a bugle call except if it is done during normal colors ceremonies. Unless one wants to do it of course. In any case these are military procedures, not civilian. There is no prohibition for doing it. But there is no procedure specified in the Drill and Ceremonies manual. FM 3-21.5 (Old 22-5) Nor in the US Flag code.

And while we’re on the subject, there is no requirement to destroy a flag if it has touched the ground. 

Archived