SASS Wire Forum

Walther P-1

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Just had a friend call me.  He has in his hands a Walther P-1 and wants an opinion on the gun and its value.

I know nothing about the P-1....a P-38 copy?... .and found prices from $550.00 to $7,400.0 in a web search.

I'm tempted to send  him out to Reatta Pass Gun Auctions and get a professional to help him out.  I owned a P-38 way back and don't remember being overly impressed with it.  Clumsy beast. with a terrible trigger pull in DA mode.  I bought it because Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin carried them.

What say you all?

P38 has a steel frame, production ended in 45 with the capture of the plant. The French started making them again bu had to quit in 46. The P1 has an alloy frame and was initially made for the police and reformed German Army, if they do not have the reinforcing bar in the frame stay away from +P ammo. Interarms imported P38s in the 70s, but I do not know off the top of my head if they were alloy or steel frames.

35 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Clumsy beast. with a terrible trigger pull in DA mode.  I bought it because Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin carried them.

What say you all?

My best friend of my misspent youth bought one as his first handgun, for the same reason.:P

Hi, P1's as was stated by DeaconKC had alloy frames.  In 2000 a bunch were imported, they have a legend stamped on the left side of the frame, with a date. These were sold in the $300 range with holsters ,extra magazines, and cleaning kits. I was told these were reconditioned  modern German army pistols used by police and sold as surplus. Mine shoots like a "house afire" . So good that I bought a second, that shot not as good. I sold the second and I guess the first was magic, regards, Mike

I bought a new P1 in 1968 in Germany at the Rod&Gun club on post.  It was okay. Looked cool. Nothing special as a shooter. Sold it a few years later. I don’t want to say how much I paid. Might make you cry.

5 years ago you could find them for 350, now they command 500 - 1K.

The trigger can be fixed by using the trigger spring from a P5 and cleaning the sear hammer interface.

There are bird cage flash hiders available if you want to cut down the barrel and make it look like a Man From Uncle gun.

https://www.theunclegun.com/u.n.c.l.e.guns.php

SC

I bought a P1 for $219.00 back in 2003.  For many years it was the only 9MM I had.  Never jammed, misfired or fail to chamber.  The dealer who sold it to me also had a regular P-38 (with lots of Nazi eagles) and wanted about $550.00 for it.  I still wish I would have bought it.  He also sold me two Walther PP's (in 32ACP) for $318.00 each.  

2 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

The trigger can be fixed by using the trigger spring from a P5 and cleaning the sear hammer interface.

There are bird cage flash hiders available if you want to cut down the barrel and make it look like a Man From Uncle gun.

SC

Bad link.

i had one i bought for just over 100 in 67 , i sold it for 300 in the 80s  , that one i dont miss , its the one i might have inherited from an exwifes father he brought back after VE that i miss 

On 9/5/2020 at 12:05 PM, ShadowCatcher said:

SC

When I clicked con that link it gave me some kind of warning about my phone! 

Archived