SASS Wire Forum

You ever get wrapped money?

Alpo

This is quite common and TV and in movies. Someone will receive a bundle of money. It will have a band wrapped around it saying how much money is there.

white-kraft-bill-straps-aba-colors.jpg

I have never received such a thing. Every time the bank gave me money, even if it was a large amount, it was counted in front of me bill by bill.

The teller did not put a bundle of ones in front of me and say "50", then set another bundle next to it it'll say "100".

She pick up a bundle of ones and count them in front of me - 1 to 10,  set it aside, another small stack of 10, until the entire hundred dollars had been counted out and there were ten little stacks of ten.

Now I know that if I needed $100 in quarters, I would easily accept 10 rolls.

But if I needed $5,000 in tens, I would not be happy with them setting 10 little bundles of money in front of me, each with a band around it, and saying, "five hundred, a thousand, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, $5,000".

Only time I ever dealt with banded money was as a manager of a small store when I was going to college.  We would get banded money from the bank, and if we were shipping back the daily take and there was enough for a band, we banded it before dropping it into the back of the safe.  The safe has a chute in the back that would drop the daily take into a lower compartment.  The lower compartment had two locks, one that I could open and the armor car guy could open the other.

When we bought Ol’ Green, we paid cash as per the seller’s request. The bank gave us banded packages of $20.00 and $50.00 bills. 

It was a Saturday, just before noon and they were just about to close.

Tellers are required to count the cash out to the customer. Maybe banded bills are okay after a certain amount.

At a store where I worked, I’d close out the register at the end of the day and make the deposit. The bank required the bills to be banded and coins in rolls. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Only time I ever dealt with banded money was as a manager of a small store when I was going to college.  We would get banded money from the bank, and if we were shipping back the daily take and there was enough for a band, we banded it before dropping it into the back of the safe.  The safe has a chute in the back that would drop the daily take into a lower compartment.  The lower compartment had two locks, one that I could open and the armor car guy could open the other.

Used to be common, but I haven't seen it since the early 70s.

I have gotten strapped bills. Twenties and fifties. Wish I had a few of those lying around right now.
A “strap” of bills, regardless of denomination, is 100 bills. 
I’d rather have some bundles. A “bundle” is 10 straps of bills. 

What Bob and Barney said.

When I got a change order, I usually got strapped bundles of at least 1's and often 5's and 10's.  We generated enough 20's to not have to buy them from the bank.  They'd either machine or hand count them.  If they machined counted them, I manually double checked before leaving the counter.  If they hand counted, I counted along with them as they verified the bundle.

I did the same thing when they were working a deposit.  In that case, the strapped bundles were $20's for the most part.  We made it a habit to hold onto small bills when resetting the safe to make sure we had smaller change.

Trust but verify is the rule of the day- and if my name is going on anything dealing with someone else's money, I'm making sure it's right.

Somebody trying to get the band back together?!

As a young man, I worked in a bank, packaging bills like that. 

It was done for transfers to businesses. The Bank then can distribute 

money without having to count each bill. System works well. 

The teller or officer will count the bills so there will not be a

dispute later saying I got 9 and not 10. 

Bait money behind the teller counter was wrapped in bands.

I thought you were talkin about the rolls of Golden Dollars I get from the bank.  I took a bunch of rolls of Golden Dollars to buy one of my cars.  The cashier about had a cow.  Even though the coins were in the bank wrapper, she said she would have to tear the wrappers open and count all the Golden Dollars.  So she said to just write a check.  I still ended up paying 80 Golden Dollars as part of the purchase price for the car.    But that's OK, I always like to have a few Golden Dollars in the purchase price for cars and guns.

4 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

I thought you were talkin about the rolls of Golden Dollars I get from the bank.  I took a bunch of rolls of Golden Dollars to buy one of my cars.  The cashier about had a cow.  Even though the coins were in the bank wrapper, she said she would have to tear the wrappers open and count all the Golden Dollars.  So she said to just write a check.  I still ended up paying 80 Golden Dollars as part of the purchase price for the car.    But that's OK, I always like to have a few Golden Dollars in the purchase price for cars and guns.

Well, how would that work?  A gold Eagle has a face value of $50, but is worth over $2000.  I can't picture a bank agreeing to "cash" one for its gold value.  Or is a "Golden Dollar" something else altogether?

LL

There's a guy on the Smith & Wesson board that is always talking about golden dollars. He means the president dollars. He carries them around in a Crown Royal bag, and leave them for tips in restaurants.

I can see the annoyance of someone that wished to pay cash for a $30,000 car and paid for it with 30,000 one-dollar coins. Especially if I was the poor schlub that had to count the 30,000 coins.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There's a guy on the Smith & Wesson board that is always talking about golden dollars. He means the president dollars. He carries them around in a Crown Royal bag, and leave them for tips in restaurants.

I can see the annoyance of someone that wished to pay cash for a $30,000 car and paid for it with 30,000 one-dollar coins. Especially if I was the poor schlub that had to count the 30,000 coins.

Sacagewea Golden Dollars?  

LL

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Well, how would that work?  A gold Eagle has a face value of $50, but is worth over $2000.  I can't picture a bank agreeing to "cash" one for its gold value.  Or is a "Golden Dollar" something else altogether?

LL

You and Alpo have described what the Golden Dollars are.  I'm the guy Alpo was talking about.  The Presidential Dollars and Sacawajea Dollars are made of an alloy akin to brass that has a golden color.  

Alpo is right in that producing 30, 000 dollar coins would be a major pain for a merchant.  

16 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

That's how I put them in the jars I've got buried out back...

Just ignore that man with the shovel in your back yard. He's looking for utility runs. It's not me......., no really.......

35 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Just ignore that man with the shovel in your back yard. He's looking for utility runs. It's not me......., no really.......

Plays Charlie Daniels' Legend of Wooly Swamp for the Capt.

8 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I've only gotten wrapped money a couple of times, but I quit taking it.

It got tiring, with everybody getting all worked up and chasing me around afterward.

Yeah, and those flashing blue lights are a distraction too.  

Archived