SASS Wire Forum

Miroku Winchester possible head space problem

Nickel City Dude

On 9/26/2020 at 7:57 AM, Nickel City Dude said:

MB

Thanks for the input.  The gun is on its way back from Winchester un-repaired.  They claim it is working the way it was suppose to work.  I think they are full of @$#%.  I think that the gunsmith at Winchester that looked at it was either incompetent or just lazy and didn't want to put the time into this gun to make it right.  When I get it back I will be taking a long hard look at that left toggle to see where it is binding.

NCD, 

The gunsmith at Winchester is probably correct.... From His Viewpoint.

These Guns were never designed to do what CAS Shooters do with them.

For maximum accuracy and longevity having a real tight lockup on the Action is Ideal, especially when the gun is brand new.

As the gun is used it will seat in and loosen up some, but never to the point that We take them.

When we "Slick Up" a gun for CAS, basically what we're doing is putting in springs as Light as we can get away with

and putting several years of wear into the internal parts of the gun where they move against each other.

Short strokes and such mods are changing the original design...........

Purists and Collectors in years to come will probably think that we ruined and Whole Lot of perfectly good Guns.

In fact some of em Think that now.

Anywho.... Thats my Opinion.....

20 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

NCD, 

The gunsmith at Winchester is probably correct.... From His Viewpoint.

These Guns were never designed to do what CAS Shooters do with them.

For maximum accuracy and longevity having a real tight lockup on the Action is Ideal, especially when the gun is brand new.

As the gun is used it will seat in and loosen up some, but never to the point that We take them.

When we "Slick Up" a gun for CAS, basically what we're doing is putting in springs as Light as we can get away with

and putting several years of wear into the internal parts of the gun where they move against each other.

Short strokes and such mods are changing the original design...........

Purists and Collectors in years to come will probably think that we ruined and Whole Lot of perfectly good Guns.

In fact some of em Think that now.

Anywho.... Thats my Opinion.....

That's the truth!  Give a fully "slicked" CAS shotgun to a Local Gun Store to sell on consignment... The bulk of prospective buyers who look at it will think the gun is just worn out, and not understand it.   

Pistols and rifles with safety mechanisms defeated?  (to borrow a phrase...  Oy!)  

That's why if sell a modified gun, I post it here and not sell it there.  Or, give it to a Cowboy Gunsmith who travels to various matches to sell for me.   

1 hour ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

When we "Slick Up" a gun for CAS, basically what we're doing is putting in springs as Light as we can get away with and putting several years of wear into the internal parts of the gun where they move against each other.

50 minutes ago, McCandless said:

That's the truth!  Give a fully "slicked" CAS shotgun to a Local Gun Store to sell on consignment... The bulk of prospective buyers who look at it will think the gun is just worn out, and not understand it.   

Definitely truth. Many of these guns are at the edge of functioning even though they function very fast. And as we shoot the snot out of them, they do wear out faster because many years of life have already been removed from the action.

I'll ordering some springs for mine soon, and I now have a collection of diamond stones and polishing compounds in various grits. And a bunch of other tools. Gonna take some years off of my rifle as soon as I get a few other projects finished, or when I get snowed in, whichever comes first.

5 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Do you want to sell it

Thats Exactly what I was Thinking :D

Thanks for the offer but when I get it back from Winchester I am going to try the fix that Thunder Creek Kid told me about, it seams to be the most logical solution.  BTW it is in 357.

7 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Thanks for the offer but when I get it back from Winchester I am going to try the fix that Thunder Creek Kid told me about, it seams to be the most logical solution.  BTW it is in 357.

That should fix you up, just go a little bit at a time.

Keep test fitting the links and quit filing as soon as both sides will lock & unlock with your fingers.... No Lever installed.

On one gun I had to file a tiny bit more from one side than the other to make both links fit.

I got my 1873 back from Winchester today and as they said they did not fix it because they believed that there was nothing wrong and it is suppose to bind when levering it.

I took it apart and with the help of the information I got from Thunder Creek kid I was able to fix it.  I fired off an email to Winchester with a few pictures of what was wrong and how it was fixed.  I will wait to see if they respond.  Wile I had it apart I installed a new Slix Springs safety spring just to make it perfect.

49 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I got my 1873 back from Winchester today and as they said they did not fix it because they believed that there was nothing wrong and it is suppose to bind when levering it.

I took it apart and with the help of the information I got from Thunder Creek kid I was able to fix it.  I fired off an email to Winchester with a few pictures of what was wrong and how it was fixed.  I will wait to see if they respond.  Wile I had it apart I installed a new Slix Springs safety spring just to make it perfect.

Please post the pics here. I will be slicking my Miroku no later than when I get snowed in, and they might help me out.

I ordered SliXprings and parts from Shotgun Boogie Gun Works, because I like options.

That lever safety spring is a speed killer.

And on edit: Congratulations on voiding the warranty, now you own it! It's yours! Shoot the snot out of it and enjoy every moment.

11 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Please post the pics here. I will be slicking my Miroku no later than when I get snowed in, and they might help me out.

I ordered SliXprings and parts from Shotgun Boogie Gun Works, because I like options.

That lever safety spring is a speed killer.

And on edit: Congratulations on voiding the warranty, now you own it! It's yours! Shoot the snot out of it and enjoy every moment.

Here are the pictures you requested, I sent them to Winchester.

bolt for 1873.jpg

Lever on 1873.jpg

Archived