SASS Wire Forum

New / old toy

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

My grandson is here to visit and brought me a gift.  I collect small pistols of all kinds, most under-powered relics from days gone by.  You know, the kind that if someone shot you with one and you found out you'e be ticked off.

This a Haenel-Schmeisser SAP Model 1., a .25 auto from the 1920s.  Needs a magazine and the safety lever is missing, but is otherwise in pretty good shape ( the bore is near perfect) and intact and is good enough for my collection a TCPs (Tiny Crap Pistols).  A little cleaning here and some oil there......:)

I have a Haenel, I also need a safety, been looking for a couple years no luck. You can get after market mags, but the original has a notch in the heal for take down. I see them on Gun Broker often , but quite expensive. More info here,

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/HS25/hs25.html

7 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Cool!  

But as somebody once said... "this post is useless without pictures". we wanna see the new toy. :D

Give me some time to clean it up.  It will be a while because I don't get to see my grandson often and we're gonna get to know one another for a week of so.

8 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Give me some time to clean it up.  It will be a while because I don't get to see my grandson often and we're gonna get to know one another for a week of so.

40Rod,

A before pic now, then an after pic later would be nice. ;)

DF01A281-3778-401B-9814-2F8627EDF040.jpeg

29E84EAC-0919-4742-9C33-CF498D01D894.jpeg

EA42234C-4626-4595-84A0-1ED2A9A43603.jpeg

52107FD6-F07B-4191-B4DF-84859AD03A06.jpeg

Okay, here 'tis.

It's pretty well complete except for the magazine and safety lever. Proofs (an N under a crown on the barrel shroud, slide and frame), a five digit serial #78xxx, and all writing in English....which leads me to believe this was made for the American market....are all intact and proper.

Right grip is broken down the front edge, left is intact and not even badly worn.  Both at otherwise in great shape.

Gun cocks and locks and the cocked indicator pin works.  Firing pin seems to be go in and out the correct distance.

Grip screw may not be original as it has a VERY narrow slot and it sin't quit centered.  I'll have to work to get the grips off.

Finish is slightly better on the right than on the left, but has some surface rust and slight pitting.

I have deduced, my dear Watson, that it was owned by a right handed person who kept in a drawer.  The left side is more worn than the right, but not very deeply.  This indicates that the right-handed owner laid it in the drawer left side down.

So far I have cleaned it with GI surplus gun oil and a soft sponge, being careful not to do any more damage than it has already suffered.  If I could get the missing parts and get the grips off to clean and check the insides I would have no compunction about firing it.

Howdy,

No magazine. It should be a crime to leave the mag out of a gun 

when selling or storing.

A friend took in a beauty of a german 22. No mag.

I put in a lot of work trying to find a  mag.

One day I walked into the shop and someone bought it without a mag.

I didnt really need that headache anyhoo.

Best

CR

Archived