SASS Wire Forum

38 sp price?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Any ideas on a fair price on 50 rounds of 38 sp lead reloads between friends?

Prices seem crazy but nothing on the shelf makes for strange times.

Thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

Shux, I'd just give a box to my buddy.

Oh... wait.  Can't do that anymore ~ that'd be illegal in California.  I'd have to go through a dealer, who would have to do a background check on said buddy....   :(   :angry:

On the market situation: the 'big box' places here are out of all .38 spl., every time I look. They are also usually out of all standard revolver ammo (I don't even look at the semi-auto ammo myself).

This has been the situation for weeks.

On the other hand, there is a small store here that has lots of ammo in stock. Not sure what his secret is. But-- he's following supply and demand closely. Two days ago, his .38s were $39 per 50, up from the 20s in normal times. Today, .38 spl was $59! But .357 still in the low $30s. .45 Colt on his shelves have gone from $27 per 50 to $59 per 50 in a matter of days. .44 spl holding at $32 per. And so on.

But he has ammo, when everybody else is out. He's following supply and demand like the stock market....

Howdy,

All the jokes you want but take a look at brownells and see how much

38 special they have in stock.

Even hp at over a dollar a round is GONE.

Maybe I should just roll some dice....

Best

CR

I'd give a friend a few rounds if he was in need.  If he's wanting more than a few rounds, he can buy the components and I'll assemble them.  

I've had a bunch of people ask about me reloading for them due to the current shortages and pricing on ammo.  I respectfully decline the opportunity most all of the time.  I did assemble some 44 Colt rounds (modern, using pretty much 44 special components) for a gent just to see if I could.  Used a shell holder from a 41 magnum and they did fine.

As to the price of 38 special, the shop I work at is getting $22 to $25 a box of 50, mostly 130 grain fmj or 158 rnl.  We haven't been able to get any 38 spl jhp in the last two months.  

If it’s just a box I’d give it to him.

If he wants more, I’d invite him to my gun room and teach him reloading. He’ll eventually see the ease of loading and the advantageous economics, buy his own gear, and you’ll gain a reloading buddy. 

11 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

All the jokes you want but take a look at brownells and see how much

38 special they have in stock.

Even hp at over a dollar a round is GONE.

Maybe I should just roll some dice....

Best

CR

Look, all common Caliber ammo is scarce. It's been this way for months and isn't going to get much better until probably early next year (my guess).

And if when you are saying HP you are referring to Personal Defense rounds, they historically go for nearly a buck a round for the higher quality ones.

Phantom

Howdy,

I just didnt realize how deep the shortage is.

My sister bought some ammo last year and stashed it

it her car under the floor by the spare.

She was cleaning and found it last weekend.

Three boxes of ammo. Like Christmas.

Strange times.

Best

CR

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Look, all common Caliber ammo is scarce. It's been this way for months and isn't going to get much better until probably early next year (my guess).

Phantom

True enough, but by the pricing in the small shop I reference, the proprietor has his finger on the market pulse. By that standard, .38 spl is among the scarcest, much more so than .357 for instance. .45 Colt is rising fast.

.44 Russian hasn't moved up!

My own just-formulated pet theory is that with the widespread panic buying of ammo, a lot of folks out there have unearthed their old dad's or grandad's .38 spl revolver; S&W M&P/Model 10 or many others. After all the S&W .38 with all its many cousins was the biggest-selling handgun in the US, maybe the world, for most of the 20th century.

Millions must have one tucked away, dusted off-- better get some ammo for that thing.

45 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

True enough, but by the pricing in the small shop I reference, the proprietor has his finger on the market pulse. By that standard, .38 spl is among the scarcest, much more so than .357 for instance. .45 Colt is rising fast.

.44 Russian hasn't moved up!

Yeah... Being that I own a shop, I've got a decent idea about the "market pulse".

Manufacturers will allocate their components based on demand... That's why they have things like "seasonal ammunition"

I was at Big 5 yesterday to buy some tennis shoes. I looked over the almost bare ammo shelves and saw three boxes of .45 Colt at 'normal' prices. I bought one. I do have a fair amount of .45, but I'm one who buys a box or two now and then when I go into the stores, so I have a good accumulation of ammo by and large.

Got to thinking today; I'll go back and buy those two forgotten boxes of .45. As I got there, a guy was just picking up one of them! But one was left and I bought it.....

I bought a box of .38 spl wad cutters Fiocchi for $20.00. (Box of 50)at my LGS. 

I haven’t seen them in a long time. I’ll save em for my Python. They had 2 boxes left I may have to go back and see if they still have them.

Walked into a new store today and they had Fiocchi .44-40 at reasonable price, several boxes actually. They have a one box limit due to scalpers, but I was happy to find it in stock.

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Walked into a new store today and they had Fiocchi .44-40 at reasonable price, several boxes actually. They have a one box limit due to scalpers, but I was happy to find it in stock.

I would have my doubts about 'scalpers'. This implies buying for resale at high prices; I haven't encountered that, though others may have. It would be interesting to hear information about scalpers. Most of the limitations I have seen have been efforts to spread the available stuff amongst customers in time of scarcity.

14 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's why I've been stocking up on 7.62  Nagant and .455 Webley.

glad you got to common ground - i bought a bit [enough for a major match] before all this BS started but ive got components to make more less small primers - one thing i thought i could 'shop' for but then the gunshows got cancelled and the market dried up , its gonna be tuff till after the election , just the way of our current environment , m

by the time i get what i need you might be able to purchase all my components and equipment from my widow ...probably cheap as she does not know the worth or market 

Well years ago I "gave" a box of 45 Colt for $6; with promise to refund the $6 when he returned the brass.

Would make same deal today except price would be $19 since Starline 45 Colt is $.19 each.

You know, I still have his $6.

Archived