SASS Wire Forum

Going to a State or Regional Campionship

Parson Remington

1 hour ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

So here's a question I have about going to the big events, specifically the Southeast Regional and TN State.  Do I need to be there for everything?  I don't plan to shoot any side matches or do any of the stuff offerred on Thursday.  So could I show up Friday morning and shoot the main matches or is being there Thursday required?  I probably would not attend the banquet either.  I'm just getting started in this and do not have "banquet" clothes.  I wouldn't be staying in a hotel or camping on site as these events are fairly close to me.  I'm an hour away from the regional match and 1.5 hours away from the state match.  What's the normal or expected level of participation in all of the activities in the big matches?

There will be something happening from Thursday morning until Saturday night. Not everyone attends every event/activity, you are free to pick & choose. Main match stages are shot Friday & Saturday, and you must be at the safety briefing Friday am to shoot. Don't let the lack of "banquet clothes" stop you from enjoying the awards banquet, there will be several top notch prizes given away that evening. And there will be several great vendors selling cowboy duds if you do choose to update your wardrobe. But again several cowpokes will be in their shooting attire, fancy duds are not a requirement to partake in the festivities.  (And if you enjoy the occasional adult elixir you definitely don't want to miss the Friday night shindigs).

I still regret that I missed the first Tennessee State Match held at Wartrace in 2003! I had just joined SASS and had only shot one match.  Charlie Bowdrie, who was the TG, president of the club, and owner of the range invited me after that first monthly match.

i figured I wasn’t experienced enough, so I missed that match. As a result, my first major match was Mule Camp, the Southeast Regional, the following spring! Again, it was Charlie who invited me and I have never been reluctant to shoot a big match since!!

30 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

my first major match was Mule Camp, the Southeast Regional,

You was at Mule Camp in 2004 & I missed meeting you?  Bummer.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I’m the new kid on the block here.  I’ve toyed with the idea of joining SASS for a couple of years before jumping in this summer. I attended my first match to watch back in June...I had a blast. The next day I joined SASS and then joined the Wartrace Regulators in July. I shot my first match in July with borrowed holsters.  I went back in August and worked the unloading table while I watched my dad shoot his first match.  Yesterday, he and I both shot our second matches.  I know I’m not going to beat anyone with speed anytime soon (and I’m fine with that) but I can be accurate.  I shot clean on all stages yesterday and reduced my times from the first match.  I had a great time.

I was possed up with Branchwater Jack who wrote the stages for the Southeast Regional.  He made a pretty good sales pitch to me about joining them for the big events.  I’m leaning hard towards shooting the regional and may decide to shoot the Tennessee State as well.  Thanks for this post. 

I have enjoyed every minute shooting with the fine people of cowboy action shooting. 

Bring yourself on out to Cavern Cove with the North Alabama Regulators as well. We're in Grant, AL.

21 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

I would tell everyone I will be attending the Southeast Regional this year for the first time but if they know I'm coming they will post extra security at the Alabama State line. Went to my first state match nine months after my first ever match.

We's just gotta make sure you ain't one of them new fangled Northamite "Virginians". ;)

7 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

So here's a question I have about going to the big events, specifically the Southeast Regional and TN State.  Do I need to be there for everything?  I don't plan to shoot any side matches or do any of the stuff offerred on Thursday.  So could I show up Friday morning and shoot the main matches or is being there Thursday required?  I probably would not attend the banquet either.  I'm just getting started in this and do not have "banquet" clothes.  I wouldn't be staying in a hotel or camping on site as these events are fairly close to me.  I'm an hour away from the regional match and 1.5 hours away from the state match.  What's the normal or expected level of participation in all of the activities in the big matches?

Check in Friday morning can be very hectic so get there early, like 7:00 early. It will be more hectic this year because we are limiting how many folks can be in the cabin due to Covid. Don't skip the banquet, people wear everything from range clothes to fancy town clothes. A few of the range workers from last year just wore what they wore all day but then if we'd have taken our boots off to change the boots would not have gone back on.

The banquet at Tennessee State is NOT to be missed!!  Best banquet in SASS!!  Clothing is NOT  something to keep you from going!!

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The banquet at Tennessee State is NOT to be missed!!  Best banquet in SASS!!  Clothing is NOT  something to keep you from going!!

But the lack of it might prevent you from crossing the threshold. :P :D

On 9/3/2020 at 5:22 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

There's no difference in a State, Regional, etc match to a monthly... Just another match...

If this is true why do you list in your wire signature all the state and regional buckles you have won but not the monthly matches?

1 minute ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

If this is true why do you list in your wire signature all the state and regional buckles you have won but not the monthly matches?

Im not going to speak for Phantom; but...

When he states, "No difference" - he is referring to the match operations, the rules, the nice folks you shoot with, etc.

A shooter who safely and competently navigates a monthly can do so at a major.

It would be the height of arrogance to deny that a larger match has more prestige to the wins or category/ overall placement and he is (rightfully) proud of his accomplishments.

Just now, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Im not going to speak for Phantom; but...

When he states, "No difference" - he is referring to the match operations, the rules, the nice folks you shoot with, etc.

A shooter who safely and competently navigates a monthly can do so at a major.

It would be the height of arrogance to deny that a larger match has more prestige to the wins or category/ overall placement and he is (rightfully) proud of his accomplishments.

I wasn't starting an argument, I was asking a question.  I know he is cryptic in his responses sometimes.  That is why I am asking for clarification....cryptically... :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Banquets are fun. Most have shooter prizes and/or raffles. Tx State last week had 2 73s, a bond Derringer, a Dillon 750, a rugged gear cart, and several other prizes. Go and enjoy yourself. Sit with  your posse. You will make friends. 

Side matches are fun. You may not be able to mow down a rifle run in 2 seconds, but many matches have other side matches that are not just about speed. I’ve seen them where you look at the scenario, then name your time. Closest to their named time  wins. 

go and meet people. Check out the pocket pistols & derringers Some will likely tell you here, try mine! 

while idea is to have fun, make  new friends. 

35 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I wasn't starting an argument, I was asking a question.  I know he is cryptic in his responses sometimes.  That is why I am asking for clarification....cryptically... :ph34r:

Actually I'm usually not cryptic in my responses. I try and be direct with a hint of bluntness.

Never did I say that monthlies are as "important" as larger matches. Me personally, don't give a rat's ass how I finish at a monthly as they are just venues for me to work on certain aspects of the game. However, there's no difference between the two when it comes to what occurs on the stages.

4 hours ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

We's just gotta make sure you ain't one of them new fangled Northamite "Virginians". ;)

Northern VA. is where Va. sends all its problem children. I'm from VA.

I would attend more of the "big" matches in my region, but most start on Thursday or Friday.  Currently (until I fully retire), I can only attend matches on Saturday and/or Sunday.  So the big matches are out of the question for me right now.  One day though.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I would attend more of the "big" matches in my region, but most start on Thursday or Friday.  Currently (until I fully retire), I can only attend matches on Saturday and/or Sunday.  So the big matches are out of the question for me right now.  One day though.

Some allow shoot-throughs.

Rather than say shooting half the stages one day and the other half the next day, you shoot all stages in one day. You move from one posse to the next rather than staying with one posse for the entire match.

47 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

That's interesting.  I'll check with the regional matches to see which ones may allow shoot-throughs.  Thanks.

Two points to keep in mind; if you do a shoot through...

FIRST - you will be interacting with almost every shooter at the match.  "Some" may "resent" (maybe a strong term; but I have seen negative attitudes regarding shoot through shooters before) a non posse member walking on and asking for spotters and brass pickers, etc.

SO as much as you can within the time confines of your stay on their posse - be the VERY BEST posse member possible.

ANY duty available to you - take it on.

Your reputation as a posse member and efforts will far outstrip any award you may pick up.

SECOND - you will be shooting twice as many stages AND working twice as hard if you are attempting posse duties as well. 

Be prepared with hydration, rest and sustenance.

Good points, Creeker, and thanks.  My wife and I are finishing up the construction on our new home, so this fall is fairly well booked up for us.  I doubt that I'll even be able to attend more than 1 of our monthly club shoots this fall.  But knowing that shoot throughs are at least possible enables me to plan for some road trips down the line.  I'll also have time to coordinate with the regional/state hosting clubs.  I always put in a lot of work at our monthlies, so I won't be slacking of duty when I get a chance to visit the bigger shoots.  Looking forward to next year!

At some bigger matches the workers shoot the weekend before the main match; so you might check and see if you can shoot Friday's stages the weekend before. My son has done this twice because his mom won't let him skip school. Obviously this only works if the match isn't too far away.

9 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

That's interesting.  I'll check with the regional matches to see which ones may allow shoot-throughs.  Thanks.

Marshall Hangtree,

I can almost guarantee that you would be allowed to shoot through the TN State match @ Wartrace on Saturday. We tend to be an accommodating bunch and want everyone who can to participate. If you can squeeze it in on Oct. 10 I'm betting Whiskey Hayes & Papa Dave will make it work for you. Let me know if you need the phone number to one of them hooligans. 

Chickamauga Slim

On 9/8/2020 at 1:39 PM, Shooting Bull said:

The bigger the match the more great people you get to meet.  :wub:

i agree , i started shooting the locals with some now good friends then didnt know any different when i was first invited to a state match - i went with friends and had a great time , met lots of nifty people , made a lot of new friends , then went to another with them , met another whole different crowd of equally nifty people and have another new bunch of friends , been shooting two state matches a year for the last 12-15 years and wont miss them if possible , i figure someone has to be last but ive not quite achieved it yet , 

i cannot tell you how much i look forward to seeing those friends every year and meeting more new ones , at local shoots you get the same every month - not a bad thing , i just enjoy all the options of the bigger shoots 

10 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

Marshall Hangtree,

I can almost guarantee that you would be allowed to shoot through the TN State match @ Wartrace on Saturday. We tend to be an accommodating bunch and want everyone who can to participate. If you can squeeze it in on Oct. 10 I'm betting Whiskey Hayes & Papa Dave will make it work for you. Let me know if you need the phone number to one of them hooligans. 

Chickamauga Slim

Thanks, Slim!  It's doubtful that I'll make it this year, as we're finishing up construction on our new home and will be moving during that time.  But I'm definitely coming next year.  Can't wait to meet all the TN and AL shooters up there.  See y'all then.

Archived