SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 difference

Pee Wee #15785

What is the difference between a new 73 and a old one.   Was ordering some replacement parts from VTI and got asked if old or new 73.  I told them a very old 73 with no gunsmith work, was why I needed the replacement parts.

They changed the bolt assemblies on the small caliber 73s within the last couple of years. One of the improvements included adding the lower tab that is now a separate piece that is pinned to the bolt so it can be replaced separately. 

It really depends on how old.

There were 3 major changes that i know of.

Back in the 70's and possibly early 80's the frame was a smaller size and had many different parts for both the 66 & 73.

Then it was pretty consistent with a larger fram and standardized design until roughly 10 years ago.  Then they slightly changed the bolt design as has been mentioned.

44 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

It really depends on how old.

Back in the 70's and possibly early 80's the frame was a smaller size and had many different parts for both the 66 & 73.

Then it was pretty consistent with a larger fram and standardized design until roughly 10 years ago.  Then they slightly changed the bolt design as has been mentioned.

I know you're older and wiser (mostly older) but I don't recall any differences in frame size if we are talking about Uberti. I did have one at one point made by Armi San Paulo IIRC that was about 7/8 size.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Marauder:

Do you know if this slightly changed bolt design will allow it to replace the bolt in a '73 (.38-40) manufactured around 2005?

A 2005 rifle will need the new style bolt AND the new style firing pin extension AND the new style extension key parts.  Minor fitting may be required.   Might want to get a new extractor and extractor pin while you are at it, as a real old bolt will have a pretty worn extractor.  And, if a real new bolt which does not have one installed, the replaceable cartridge support tab.

That makes one more change in the toggle gun bolts - when Uberti recently (2-3 years ago) went to a replaceable cartridge support tab, right?

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, German Jim said:

Marauder:

Do you know if this slightly changed bolt design will allow it to replace the bolt in a '73 (.38-40) manufactured around 2005?

I’m not Marauder,......... but the bolt itself was what has been changed. Yes a new bolt will fit an older gun, you just have to order the bolt complete with the extension from whoever. It’s an updated extension retainer, and now I understand the newest replacement bolts have a replaceable lower tab! For a 38-40 you’ll need the Large bolt , versus small caliber kit. I’ve replaced an old bolt with a newer design on a couple different 60/ 66/73 guns. You still have to be aware of timing, and head space with whichever style you have.

7 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

A 2005 rifle will need the new style bolt AND the new style firing pin extension AND the new style extension key parts.  Minor fitting may be required.   Might want to get a new extractor and extractor pin while you are at it, as a real old bolt will have a pretty worn extractor.  And, if a real new bolt which does not have one installed, the replaceable cartridge support tab.

That makes one more change in the toggle gun bolts - when Uberti recently (2-3 years ago) went to a replaceable cartridge support tab, right?

Good luck, GJ

VTI bolt kit comes with all that GJ mentions above.

PS...

There has been a long back order on bolt kits recently. I waited 14 months for a 66 Uberti specific kit large caliber which finally shipped last month!

The bolt design changed in 2008 ... The firing pin extension on the older models was retained w/ a cross pin ... the new ones are retained with a tab (from the bottom of the bolt).

If you buy the assembly they will give you a new firing pin extension along with the new design bolt. 

Hence ... if you just needed a firing pin extension they would need to know if you had the "old" or the " new" style ... (pre 2008 cross pin or new tab design).

If you really just need a bolt ... here is a an early style large caliber/henry that IMHO "should" work ...

https://www.sarcoinc.com/uberti-henry-1860-45-44-40-bolt-with-extractor-pin/

3 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I know you're older and wiser (mostly older) but I don't recall any differences in frame size if we are talking about Uberti. I did have one at one point made by Armi San Paulo IIRC that was about 7/8 size.

You are correct.  Mine is a Navy Arms model.  They made both 66 and 73 models with the slightly smaller frame.

18 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

You are correct.  Mine is a Navy Arms model.  They made both 66 and 73 models with the slightly smaller frame.

Yes, that was the importer on mine as well. I believe they predated the Uberti's.

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

that was the importer on mine as well. I believe they predated the Uberti's.

Navy Arms 66 gun that I had at one time was a Uberti made piece, and was marked so, but not very prominently.  

good luck, GJ

I bought a new Uberti 1873 in 44 mag this year.
I called Stoeger (distributor) to check on the serial number.
Mine was manufactured in 2014, and had been sitting in the Kentucky Gun Co. warehouse since then.

Stoeger told me absolutely no changes have been made to my model between then and now.
I have no way of actually knowing if this is fact or hogwash.

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

I bought a new Uberti 1873 in 44 mag this year.
I called Stoeger (distributor) to check on the serial number.
Mine was manufactured in 2014, and had been sitting in the Kentucky Gun Co. warehouse since then.

Stoeger told me absolutely no changes have been made to my model between then and now.
I have no way of actually knowing if this is fact or hogwash.

An Uberti made in 2014 ain't old.

14 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Yes, that was the importer on mine as well. I believe they predated the Uberti's.

I'm not real sure now that I think about it that mine was marked Navy Arms. I do recall now that it said Euroarms. Research at the time (15 to 18 years ago) revealed that it was produced by Armi San Paulo.

I got my '73 last year, very lightly used (less than 200rds) but I'm not sure how old it actually is. Is there a resource on line anywhere that can give a manufacture date by serial number in case I need parts one day? It's one of the "competition" versions with the non-curved butt.

resource on line anywhere that can give a manufacture date by serial number

No.  But there is a year code on the barrel (2 characters inside a square), which is what most folks use for any Italian made firearm.

Here's what to look for and how to determine the year of proofing of the barrel/action.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?50321-Uberti-SAA-production-tables

Or even better, this up-to-date chart from Beretta.

https://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/101/session/L3RpbWUvMTI5OTcwNTMyNy9zaWQvbUlUWUt3b2s=

Good luck, GJ

Archived