SASS Wire Forum

SE Kansas Cheechako looking for club (s)

El CupAJoe

Howdy,

I'm new here, in the process of stakin my claim here in South East Kansas, but the only gold round these parts aint the shiny kind and I don't much like prospectin for the black stuff.  My iron mare likes the Texas tea though and she'll carry me fast and far to Wichita, Tulsa, Springfield, Joplin, KC or OKC to find me a posse.  My poke is a little light after my runin with educators in east texas so I'm a couple guns and a good rig short of a full load out.  Be that as it may, my 1860 and coach gun be wisperin to me "go west young man" or south, north and maybe even east to find some good cowboy action shooting.  I've been browsing around the forums and I've seen more than a few of you that aren't too far from me.  I'd like to drop in sometime and at least watch a match, maybe get some black powder fouling all over my guns so I'll have a reason to clean them again.  Any suggestions on good clubs for a cheechacko like me?  mostly interested in winter/spring stuff, as I'm a little busy between now and then.

El CupAJoe

Lots of clubs in SW Missouri and Eastern Kansas. 

In SW Missouri (Springfield/Branson) you'll find Bear Creek Volunteers, Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Liberty Land and Cattle Company, Missouri Gunslingers and The Ozark Posse. https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Missouri 

In Eastern Kansas you'll find the Free State Rangers and Powder Creek Cowboys.  https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Kansas 

Thank you both!  Ozark Shark, do you know of anything taking place around Christmas/New Years in the Springfield area?  I'm usually out there for the holidays with my family.

21 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Thank you both!  Ozark Shark, do you know of anything taking place around Christmas/New Years in the Springfield area?  I'm usually out there for the holidays with my family.

That's the fourth weekend, so the Southern Missouri Rangers will be shooting on Saturday, 12/26, weather permitting.  https://www.so-mo-rangers.com/event-calendar/   Most months we shoot both days of the weekend, but limit it to Saturday in December.  If you have Facebook, you can join the Southern Missouri Rangers to keep up on the weather postings.

El CupAJoe, If you're interested in Wild Bunch, the Kansas State Wild Bunch Championship is happening in Lenexa this weekend.  It's always a fun match.  I can't wait.
The schedule is on the third page of this link:  http://www.powdercreekcowboys.com/downloads/WB20App_v3.pdf 

The closest club to you in Kansas is the Free State Rangers near Parker (about an hour and 45 minutes north of your homestead.)  https://freestaterangers.com They are a great group and will happily help you out.  Their next shoot is this coming Sunday (they shoot the first Sunday and third Saturday of each month.)  In October they will have one of their annual two day events - Border Wars.  This year it will be featuring the Classic Cowboy match, which you can read about on a separate thread on the Wire.  Talk to Cornbread, Beans, Harold Marshall, Buffalo Phil or Missouri Misfit.  A finer group you will never meet.

Another hour north of Parker are the Powder Creek Cowboys in Lenexa.  http://www.powdercreekcowboys.com/home.html. A lot of the same folks shoot at both Powder Creek and with the Free State Rangers.  Lots of helpful folks again who will let you use their toys (a wise move before you invest in new iron.)  Powder Creek shoots the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month and the first weekend in October will host the Kansas State Championships, regular and Black Powder.

Also an hour further north from Parker, in Topeka, are the Capital City Cowboys.  JW, Top and Bulldog (also known as Red Rider - ask him ;) ) run a pleasant match once a month that is worth the visit.  http://www.capitalcitycowboys.org

There are also clubs in Wichita and Chapman, Kansas.  

To your east are a number of clubs within an hour of Springfield.  Folks like Ozark Shark, J Bar and others who frequent here can let you know more.  We always enjoy visiting their matches.

One thing about Cowboy Action Shooting - 99% of those involved are friendly and will go out of their way to welcome you.  Just drop on by.

28 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

El CupAJoe, If you're interested in Wild Bunch, the Kansas State Wild Bunch Championship is happening in Lenexa this weekend.  It's always a fun match.  I can't wait.
The schedule is on the third page of this link:  http://www.powdercreekcowboys.com/downloads/WB20App_v3.pdf 

I'm rather partial to my wheel guns.  But thanks for the info!

8 minutes ago, Parson Remington said:

The closest club to you in Kansas is the Free State Rangers near Parker (about an hour and 45 minutes north of your homestead.)  https://freestaterangers.com They are a great group and will happily help you out.  Their next shoot is this coming Sunday (they shoot the first Sunday and third Saturday of each month.)  In October they will have one of their annual two day events - Border Wars.  This year it will be featuring the Classic Cowboy match, which you can read about on a separate thread on the Wire.  Talk to Cornbread, Beans, Harold Marshall, Buffalo Phil or Missouri Misfit.  A finer group you will never meet.

Another hour north of Parker are the Powder Creek Cowboys in Lenexa.  http://www.powdercreekcowboys.com/home.html. A lot of the same folks shoot at both Powder Creek and with the Free State Rangers.  Lots of helpful folks again who will let you use their toys (a wise move before you invest in new iron.)  Powder Creek shoots the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month and the first weekend in October will host the Kansas State Championships, regular and Black Powder.

Also an hour further north from Parker, in Topeka, are the Capital City Cowboys.  JW, Top and Bulldog (also known as Red Rider - ask him ;) ) run a pleasant match once a month that is worth the visit.  http://www.capitalcitycowboys.org

There are also clubs in Wichita and Chapman, Kansas.  

To your east are a number of clubs within an hour of Springfield.  Folks like Ozark Shark, J Bar and others who frequent here can let you know more.  We always enjoy visiting their matches.

One thing about Cowboy Action Shooting - 99% of those involved are friendly and will go out of their way to welcome you.  Just drop on by.

Thanks for the info!  I'm a kid's pastor at my church so It'll be primarily Saturday matches for me.  I have friends and family I can stay with in the Wichita Springfield and Overland Park areas.  So I'll probably start with the So Mo rangers if I'm out there or the Powder Creek Cowboys if my wife wants to visit friends in KC.

Took me a bit to find it, but I did not want leave out the fine folks in Wichita and Chapman.

The 2nd weekend of this month The Chisolm Trail club in Wichita is holding their two day annual shoot.  Silver Creek Jack and the Chisolm Kid are good contacts.  It may be too late to sign up, but a good place to visit to learn more quickly.  Info is on the first link here: https://www.ctaga.com/copy-of-special-matches

More towards the middle of the State in Chapman are the Butterfield Gulch Cowboys: http://www.butterfieldgulch.com. Flint Hills Dawg, Major Artillery and Shady Willy Brown are the folks to see.  All great people.  

If you opt to come to Powder Creek drop me a note.  We usually shoot there and I will bring extra toys and ammo you can use. 

Most here will strongly recommend you try a variety of toys and tools before parting with your denaro.

Enjoy.

59 minutes ago, Parson Remington said:

If you opt to come to Powder Creek drop me a note.  We usually shoot there and I will bring extra toys and ammo you can use. 

Most here will strongly recommend you try a variety of toys and tools before parting with your denaro.

Enjoy.

I'll do that!  

Welcome Welcome!

It looks to me like most if not all of the Kansas clubs have been mentioned but you might want to look into Oklahoma as well given your location. Many many fine cowboy folks in Oklahoma. Missouri and Arkansas also.

The Missouri State Championships will be held just south of Marshfield, MO, about 30 minutes east of Springfield, on September 24, 25, 26.  The Black Powder Championship will be on September 24, the 10 stage Main Match will be on the 25th and 26.  There will also be Josey Wales and Wild Bunch matches, and a social on Friday night.  There are usually a few vendors there, as well as a cowboy "garage sale" for private sales of firearms, clothing, and other gear.  Even if you decide not to shoot, here's hoping you can come by and get acquainted with the host club, Southern Missouri Rangers.  Feel free to contact me by personal message with questions.

Link to the Show-Me Shootout:

https://www.so-mo-rangers.com/event-calendar/show-me-shootout/

Link to video of the range, the 2019 Show-Me Shootout:

Thanks Parson for mentioning the Chisholm Trail Antique Gun Asso. El CupAJoe you would be most welcome anytime to shoot with us! I always bring extra ammo and the firearms to match to our shoots in case someone breaks something or someone shows up and wants to give this great sport a try. I see you don’t shoot on sundays but our club is getting ready to change to our winter hours where we start shooting at 1:30 pm so maybe you can make that work. As the good Parson mentioned our annual 2 day shoot is next weekend, we have several club members from different area  clubs signed up to shoot so drop by look me up and I could introduce you to them. Hope to shoot with you some day!  SCJ

On 9/5/2020 at 7:38 AM, Silver Creek Jack said:

Thanks Parson for mentioning the Chisholm Trail Antique Gun Asso. El CupAJoe you would be most welcome anytime to shoot with us! I always bring extra ammo and the firearms to match to our shoots in case someone breaks something or someone shows up and wants to give this great sport a try. I see you don’t shoot on sundays but our club is getting ready to change to our winter hours where we start shooting at 1:30 pm so maybe you can make that work. As the good Parson mentioned our annual 2 day shoot is next weekend, we have several club members from different area  clubs signed up to shoot so drop by look me up and I could introduce you to them. Hope to shoot with you some day!  SCJ

Thanks for the invite, I was out there a few years back to watch a Muzzle-Loader match and took a couple shots at a target off in the woods, first time firing a Muzzle-Loader.  the CT gun show was always my favorite when I lived in Wichitown.

El CupAJoe

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 7:38 AM, Silver Creek Jack said:

the CTAGA have anything the 26th or 27th this month?  we might be doing Wichita instead of Springfield like we originally planned.

Yes we have our monthly shoot on the 27th, safety meeting at 1pm shooting starts at 1:30, hope you can make it!   Thanks-SCJ

In the Tulsa area we have three clubs: Indian Territory SASS, Tulsey Town Cattleman's Association, and the Crossroads in Cushing. Between the three, there are matches nearly every Saturday. You should come down and join us!

17 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Yes we have our monthly shoot on the 27th, safety meeting at 1pm shooting starts at 1:30, hope you can make it!   Thanks-SCJ

I'm going to see if my brother in law wants to come along and watch, he's expressed interest before.  I'd like to come and I plan on bringing my side by side, and 1860 army, reloads for both of them and some extra 38 special in case someone has a loaner rifle or handgun I can borrow, do I need anything else, or just show up?

Are there any match fees or registration requirements I need to be aware of?

El CupAJoe

16 hours ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

In the Tulsa area we have three clubs: Indian Territory SASS, Tulsey Town Cattleman's Association, and the Crossroads in Cushing. Between the three, there are matches nearly every Saturday. You should come down and join us!

Thanks, I don't make it down to tulsa very often, but I know my wife wants to come down there more often, so we'll see.

9 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I'm going to see if my brother in law wants to come along and watch, he's expressed interest before.  I'd like to come and I plan on bringing my side by side, and 1860 army, reloads for both of them and some extra 38 special in case someone has a loaner rifle or handgun I can borrow, do I need anything else, or just show up?

El CupAJoe

Extra ammo to offer to someone that loans a firearm is a very kind gesture that most will refuse unless it is factory and even then many will prefer to run a more tried and true load of their own rather than an unknown Bullet profile or length or charge. My own rifles are anywhere from 9-11 years old and have never had a factory round thru them and the one time I let someone else (an NRA instructor no less!) use their ammo it was a disaster with a squib twice. Never happened again as I only trust my own ammo in my guns! So that said be prepared to have a good time at the match, understand that most will prefer to turn down your generous offer of ammo and at least around here the accepted payment for borrowed guns is to pay it forward to the next guy. 
Regards and Welcome 

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Yup just show up with what you have , we will fix you up. Look forward to meeting you and your brother in law. SCJ

Archived