SASS Wire Forum

Birth certificate

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

My former father-in-law told of going down to enlist in the Navy after Pearl Harbor.  He was told he needed his birth certificate...

"Don't have it!" he sez.

"Well, go on down to the courthouse and get it!"

He did...

And he was quite surprised - shocked, even! - at what it said.

His entire life his given name was Lee.  Simple, short, sweet... Lee.  He'd been born at home, and his aunt had gone to the courthouse to register his arrival.

But when received the copy of his birth certificate he was stunned to discover that Lee was actually his middle name.  Seems that without telling anyone, his dear ol' aunt had taken it upon herself on name him... "Cromer." 

Cromer??!!  Surprised

What the heck's a "Cromer?"  Confused or I don't know

Needless to say, he never ever used that name.  :rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

My former father-in-law told of going down to enlist in the Navy after Pearl Harbor.  He was told he needed his birth certificate...

"Don't have it!" he sez.

"Well, go on down to the courthouse and get it!"

He did...

And he was quite surprised - shocked, even! - at what it said.

His entire life his given name was Lee.  Simple, short, sweet... Lee.  He'd been born at home, and his aunt had gone to the courthouse to register his arrival.

But when received the copy of his birth certificate he was stunned to discover that Lee was actually his middle name.  Seems that without telling anyone, his dear ol' aunt had taken it upon herself on name him... "Cromer." 

Cromer??!!  Surprised

What the heck's a "Cromer?"  Confused or I don't know

Needless to say, he never ever used that name.  :rolleyes:

My Grandad was Robert. When Grandma said it. You knew he was in trouble. He went by Bob. Dad was Also a Robert/Bob, and me too. 
Doing some genealogy research years ago I couldn’t find a trace of Grandad anywhere in the Northern New York counties where he was born. I looked for weeks. We had no paperwork. I finally told my Dad that I couldn’t find a match for a Robert De Groff In that area for the 1895-98 window when he was born.

Dad said, “ That’s because his name wasn’t Robert.”

”Huh? Not Robert? But you’re a Robert and I’m a Robert!”

”Yup”

”So not Robert....  then what was his name.”
“Myron”

” Myron? Myron??”

I eventually lost interest in Geneology. After I tried to do research on my English Grandma. But that’s another thing. :rolleyes:

My fathers name on his Italy birth certificate is Severio. He came here to the USA when he was 10. Somehow he became Sam and that’s what’s on his headstone.

My bride (Wrongway) is the serious genealogist in our family.
She has traced several of both of lines back to the dawn to time.
It is a useful hobby, as it keeps her out of the bars... ;)

yup , my grandfather change his name from john lester to lester john - not at all sure why but i know it was a legal change , made all the family research a lot more difficult , hard enough tracking back through old records that were less than diligent in being kept up to date , one never knows why but there must have been good reasons to go thru the efforts .........at least one might think , 

I relate to this as I'm a "Jr.", except not noted on my BC. Never had issues until my last WV drivers license renewal.  Had to renew my passport and use it for ID. A name change was going to cost $250 and several months time, plus several trips to the courthouse. All caused by the real ID mandate.

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My fathers name on his Italy birth certificate is Severio. He came here to the USA when he was 10. Somehow he became Sam and that’s what’s on his headstone.

I have a Portuguese friend whose given name is Serafin.  I've know him since 1974 as Sam and found out his real name when he send my a copy of his mother's obituary.

Archived