SASS Wire Forum

Birth certificate

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I have never had a BC.  Thought I did.  The Army and Marine Corps thought I did.  Voter Registrars in 10 states thought I did.  Four aerospace companies thought I did.  I had Secret and Top Secret clearances on several occasions because some peple thought I did.

But I didn't.  I had U.S Department of Commerce certificate that I have says the State Registrar of Vital Statistics in Portland, Oregon has a record of my birth.

I don't need one and will not likely ever need one, but it it ticked me off because the State Of Arizona would put a stupid little gold star on my driver's license so I could use it to get a passport, ride on and airplane  and a bunch of other stuff.  I contacted the office in question and they took some info over the phone and emailed me the proper forms.

A few errors will be corrected tomorrow and I'll get some copies of ID documents copied and notarized.  I'll put them in an envelope with a cashier's check for $60.00 for two copies and am told I should have them be month's end...and they apologized for it taking so long, but, you know, the Corona virus......

It has occurred to me that this will take, at most, six weeks to have proof of my birth and citizenship beyond any doubt.

WHY IN HELL COULDN'T OBAMA GET HIS AND SHOW IT TO THE PUBLIC IN EIGHT YEARS?

I'll frame both documents and hang them on my "Atta Boy" wall.

I was born in a Naval hospital and have this nice little blue and white birth certificate with my foot prints on the back.  Only problem is it did not list my parents' names.  Last year I had to have a birth certificate that listed the parents names.  Talk about fun to get that!

Same here, but with a complication.

I have my official birth certificate.  Unfortunately, when I was a wee one, Ma decided to get herself a new hubby and replace my original last name with his.  The only name I've ever used in my sixty-nine years on this planet is not the same as the one on my birth certificate. 

But I never knew about this until I was a young adult.  Consulted a lawyer back then (about fifty years ago), and was advised that I had nothing to worry about - just go on about life and never worry about it.

Then along come "modern times."  The wonderful State of California decides it would be a dandy idea to issue state driver licenses to illegal immigrants undocumented workers.  But it would be a travesty and demeaning to give them a license that stated their status.  So now we citizens have to prove who WE are and get special licenses of our own.  

So now, I get to either hire a lawyer (again) or fill out a bunch of paperwork, pay a bunch of hundreds of dollars to a court, pay a couple hundred dollars more to post my intent in the local newspaper for two weeks, and officially become the person I've always been.

Why do I need to do this?  Because without it, I cannot get a passport.  I will not be able to fly commercially.  I will be unable to enter federal facilities.  And I will not be able to buy ammunition or firearms.  <_<

Smooth move, Jerry and Gavin.  :angry:

I had my ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE complete with the embossed seal of the Great State of New York.

It served me well to get clearances, military passports, drivers licenses, etc.

Everything was fine until I wanted Civilian Passport. I sent in my ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE and it was returned. It seems you need the correct form filled out by the State that says you have a birth certificate on file and then that form has to be submitted for your passport.

I happen to know that all the State has on file is a photocopy of the certificate I have that I provided them when I went into the service in 1962.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I was born in a Naval hospital and have this nice little blue and white birth certificate with my foot prints on the back.  Only problem is it did not list my parents' names.  Last year I had to have a birth certificate that listed the parents names.  Talk about fun to get that!

I ran into a similar issue with my original Montana birth certificate when applying for a passport card to travel to Canada in 2013.
Embossed seal, ink-signed MD signature, but no parents' names.
Passport application (temporarily) denied until I ordered an acceptable doc from MT DPHHS.
Received it in two weeks.

All I needed to fly to Mexico in '84 was my OR CDL.

After moving from home, my mother gave me my birth certificate which had been used to enroll me in school, get my drivers license, enroll in college and even get a replacement social security card when I lost mine. About 20 years ago, my brother in law was getting married in Cancun. I didn't have a passport so I used my birth certificate at the airport to fly international. No problems. Until I got to the airport in Cancun. I showed the clerk my bc and she informed me that it was not a valid form of ID and they couldn't let me in. After a bit of language barrier, come to find out, all I had was a souvenir copy from the hospital where I was born, not a state issued bc. But after I slid her a US gov issued picture of Andrew Jackson, all of a sudden my souvenir copy became good enough to get me into Mexico.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Because it would have disqualified him from holding that office?

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have never had a BC.  Thought I did.  The Army and Marine Corps thought I did.  Voter Registrars in 10 states thought I did.  Four aerospace companies thought I did.  I had Secret and Top Secret clearances on several occasions because some peple thought I did.

But I didn't.  I had U.S Department of Commerce certificate that I have says the State Registrar of Vital Statistics in Portland, Oregon has a record of my birth.

I don't need one and will not likely ever need one, but it it ticked me off because the State Of Arizona would put a stupid little gold star on my driver's license so I could use it to get a passport, ride on and airplane  and a bunch of other stuff.  I contacted the office in question and they took some info over the phone and emailed me the proper forms.

A few errors will be corrected tomorrow and I'll get some copies of ID documents copied and notarized.  I'll put them in an envelope with a cashier's check for $60.00 for two copies and am told I should have them be month's end...and they apologized for it taking so long, but, you know, the Corona virus......

It has occurred to me that this will take, at most, six weeks to have proof of my birth and citizenship beyond any doubt.

I'll frame both documents and hang them on my "Atta Boy" wall.

No disrespect meant here.......but a U.S. Dept. of Commerce certificate sounds like you were purchased or bartered for, rather than born. :blink:

I have my original birth certificate here somewhere but I couldn't find it and I needed it for something a couple years ago and I forgot for what. I requseted copies of my birth certificate from Cuyahoga County where I was born. Cost me $35.00 and I got two.

Odd thing here, you can't use your "Original" birth cert. for a drivers license. It has to be a copy. Huh, I knew B4 I went so I had a photo copy from decades ago the size of an index card with no Notary or signature. They were ecstatic that I hadn't brought an original.:unsure:

I have my original birth certificate and it has all  the proper info needed to prove I was  born. Luckily I have somehow manged not to lose it.

My brother and one of my sisters weren't so good about watching their docs. They had to apply for a copy of  their BC, but the city records office burned, suspiciously, in the 90's.

They cannot get proper copies of their birth certs  and they cannot get REAL IDs to prove that they are real....I told them to drive to Mexico, cross the border  and request asylum. Then maybe they would have some rights and a proper ID.

Being of a certain political persuasion they didn't find it funny. :P To them.

I don't even need one. I just show em this picture and they say, "Aawwww" and give me whatever I want. Works every time. :D

001.jpg

2 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

No disrespect meant here.......but a U.S. Dept. of Commerce certificate sounds like you were purchased or bartered for, rather than born. :blink:

Could be.  If so, my parents and other relatives, friends and acquaintances all got in on the greatest bargain of the 20th Century. (He said modestly.)  :D

Here in CA, my wife could not get her CA "Real ID" because her divorce certificate did not contain her married last name, because she reverted to her maiden name.

This was a FUBAR by the county.
She called the county, spoke with a VERY competent lady who immediately saw the discrepancy.
My bride mailed in her $$ and a week later got the corrected divorce document.

We found out the best time to breeze through the CA DMV maze for RealID is 4pm on a holiday.
We did this last Halloween, and she got in and out in less than 15 minutes.

My father was born as a junior, but his birth certificate misspelled his middle name Alan as “Allen” despite having his father’s middle name spelled correctly on the same form.  I recently found letter copies that were sent to the Department of Records for the purposes of correcting the gross error, but when I recently received a copy of my father’s CoB, it still contains the error.

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I don't even need one. I just show em this picture and they say, "Aawwww" and give me whatever I want. Works every time. :D

001.jpg

Is that your sister?  (OOOOOOOO, I'm gonna pay for that.)  :D  :blink:

12 hours ago, bgavin said:

Here in CA, my wife could not get her CA "Real ID" because her divorce certificate did not contain her married last name, because she reverted to her maiden name.

This was a FUBAR by the county.
She called the county, spoke with a VERY competent lady who immediately saw the discrepancy.
My bride mailed in her $$ and a week later got the corrected divorce document.

We found out the best time to breeze through the CA DMV maze for RealID is 4pm on a holiday.
We did this last Halloween, and she got in and out in less than 15 minutes.

Why would the DMV be open on a holiday? 

On 9/2/2020 at 11:16 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

...WHY IN HELL COULDN'T OBAMA GET HIS AND SHOW IT TO THE PUBLIC IN EIGHT YEARS?

I'll answer that...

Because in Kenya they don't issue birth certificates?

:D

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Why would the DMV be open on a holiday? 

Because Halloween is not a gov't holiday.
The employees want to make sure they get out the door right on time, especially when dressed in costume.

By showing up an hour before closing time, this gives them encouragement to push you through the process.
Also showing up late in the day is a more slack time than waiting an hour or more in line before they open.

I should have said "before the start of a holiday"... but I figured that was kinda understood.
Thanks for catching that.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Is that your sister?  (OOOOOOOO, I'm gonna pay for that.)  :D  :blink:

From my porch I can see the green glow of envy emanating from Prescott. I feel for you. It is a shame we can’t all be as gorgeous. :P

And who is it that is "Fearsome, Fearless, and Positively Gorgeous"?  Says so right above my picture and has since 1942.

And let's face it, a half million lonely wives, girlfriends and daughters can't all be wrong.   :P  

"...Then along come "modern times."  The wonderful State of California decides it would be a dandy idea to issue state driver licenses to illegal immigrants undocumented workers.  But it would be a travesty and demeaning to give them a license that stated their status.  So now we citizens have to prove who WE are and get special licenses of our own.  ..."

this is a difficult thing to understand , we citizens have to re-document ourselves , those that aren't citizens get that handed to them , 

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

this is a difficult thing to understand , we citizens have to re-document ourselves , those that aren't citizens get that handed to them , 

Kind of sounds like in order to be treated as a citizen you must be here illegally and if you are a legitimate citizen you are part of a larger problem and must be discriminated against accordingly?

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Kind of sounds like in order to be treated as a citizen you must be here illegally and if you are a legitimate citizen you are part of a larger problem and must be discriminated against accordingly?

Welcome to Big Brother politics and its truly stupid results.

I'd like to got back to about 1960 and start over.

My Dad, born in 1918 on the farm, didn't have a BC. All he had was a letter from a doctor saying he was born in X, on this date.

I was born in 1950. All my Mom had was a letter from the Doc saying I was born in X, on this date. It got me into to grade school. Later 1962, we had to get a real BC from the county. 

The real ID thing is a Federal mandate. The states are just following federal requirements. Whats stupid is I had to have a BC to get my passport, but they still need an official, stamped BC.

Ike

I've got to renew my driver's license this month.  The information that came with the notice says I have to supply a doctor's note or go to a DMV office for a vision test.  The DMV is a lot more convenient than getting a doctor's note; so, I'll make an appointment with the DMV.  I wonder should I pay the extra for a real ID?  I use my passport to board planes.  At least I'll bring my DD214 so the license will indicate I am a vet.  Good for discounts at some businesses.

• 4 weeks later...

aint it funny we citizens need one but illegal's don't , never quite understood that and never understood why one was not required to vote in this country , i realize its a phenomenon of our lifetime - those of us over 70 , but still how long has it been required for "citizens" to travel internationally ? long enough that i cannot recall , but then i am getting old , i dont recall a lot as readily these days as i used to , but then i know my grandmother drove for years without a license because there was none required - and she smoked like a chimney because they encouraged it back then , and i do recall rations issued by the government that gave you two smokes with the meal , funny - i did not feel that o;d till i started responding to this post 

My father's birth certificate from Italy said he was born on March 2, 1911, my grandmother said NO he was born on March 1, 1911 I should know I!!! It turns out the midwife went and registered the birth in the little town he was born in the NEXT day which was Mar 2! He somehow straightened the whole mess out but can't remember how. He joined the ARMY in 1934-5 (?) I think they got it sorted out but I'm not sure.

Anyway all his SS papers and DL etc. was all with a birthdate of 3/1/1911

My dads name was misspelled on his BC & he had to live with it all his life.Even the Army.They spelled it Billie instead of Billy.

Largo

Archived