SASS Wire Forum

Custom 1892 Winchester lever

Hugh Long

Why not just purchase a lever that’s already modified?

That way, you can change it back if you decide you don’t like it.

Definitely keep your old one, unaltered.  In all likelihood you will want to put it back someday.

The large loop looks cool; long on looks, but short on performance for those other than The Duke and Chuck Connors.  :rolleyes:

As we speak, there's one on my coffee table - right where my son left it after he came to that exact realization.  Fun, but not practical.  ^_^

Unless you don’t care about being competitive, and then you will use it each time you shoot. If I cared about being the best, I would be shooting and or acting week. But when I did go to the club matches I would really enjoy walking around “heeled” and never cared about what my score was. I enjoy the atmosphere, camaraderie  and being a member of club helping set up and take down. If I ever did “win”, it was only because I was the only shooter in the category. 

Here's mine...

851672930_92Loop.jpg.300ba12c1cb57b7ebc241f36e368aff2.jpg

A real Winchester.   It started life as a .38-40, but some previous owner rebarreled it to this 17.5" .44 Magnum, modified the lever, and installed a rail on the barrel for a scope.  It also had  Lyman receiver sight on the left side.   I took off the rail, and receiver sight and put on the tang one.   .  

I assume it was used as a hunting gun with heavy gloves.  Now, it's just a cool gun to take out the the range once in a while for fun.   I keep toying with the idea of changing the front sight to something more traditional looking and a buckhorn rear, but I never do.

Compare it to this....

MaresLeg.thumb.jpg.5e022416c5cb560acbbba4f1614d525a.jpg

Why Chiappa put this "D Lever" on their Mares Leg, I do not know.  They do offer an aftermarket "Rio Bravo" lever that will fit, and I may or may not get one.   This D Lever is not as inefficient as a true large loop, but it doesn't look as cool.   This is also a .44 Magnum, I got it in that caliber to match my rifle.

Archived