SASS Wire Forum

Primers

Tombstone Shootist1

3 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

HHHMMMMMM I must be using the wrong bait, not even a nibble:ph34r:

Need finer line ......

15 minutes ago, Tombstone Shootist1 said:

I stocked up about 6 or 7 months ago.  Have several thousand primers, so haven't needed any, but my cousins son texted me and asked if I could find him some primers.  After checking around, found there are none, so wasn't aware of the shortage.  

Check gunbroker - lots of primers ........... 'course they're about $130/thousand or so.    1f616.png

The problem is not a shortage.

Every time there is a probloem involving the government (currently allowing rioters to destroy everything) people get nervous and start hoarding.

During the second term of Obama, this happened.

Shooters could not find primers or if they did, the price was unreasonable.

Durinig that time I was reloading commercially and I was getting primers in 100,000 lots when every I needed them.

And the interesting part was the price I paid was only $.50 over pre hoarding times.

Never went over $17/1000.

There where times I had to take Federal primers which was my 3rd choice, I took them and traded them for Winchesters or CCI.

My opinon is, if you find primers (Federal, Winchesters or CCI) get what you can.

If you don't like them take them anyway and use them to trade.

This will all settle down after Nov.

According to my LGS, (4 of them) they are having trouble getting ammo. The ammo companies in trying to keep up with the demand are buying up all the primers. Makes sense to me.

Simple answer.... when the NICS check volume is up 80% PLUS in 2020

https://www.wearethemighty.com/gear-tech/nics-checks-up-gun-buying

file:///C:/Users/test/AppData/Local/Temp/NICS_Firearm_Checks_-_Month_Year.pdf

Copy pdf into browser to see inception to date annual counts by month

TOTAL 358,938,400 as of August 2020

- there is an overload of firearms purchases.

Then when reloading vendors are told by their distributors that ammunition re-supplies are 4 - 6 months out ...

More Gun owners are reverting to reloading

Shortage is not only due to hoarding; most ammo, primer, and gun-manufacturing plants were shut down, and then on limited staff due to the coronavirus. When Italy was hit hard by COVID-19, Uberti and Pedersoli - to name just two - shut down, then went to very limited staff, and still have a bunch of non-manufacturing folks working from home.

RR

Yep, primers are getting ridiculous: my last purchase was 1,100 Federal Large Pistol for $52.84 (tax included) two weeks ago.

Got to browsing around and found 10,000 on GunBroker with starting bid of $200; I think they finally sold for $1,100.

Powder is getting up in price too.

And you can forget ordering ammo online, unless you want to spend BIG $$$ ..

On 9/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Found a new Store i never saw before.

He has Large Pistol and Large Rifle for $36.00 a Thousand.

CCI , Winchester , Federal. And Shotgun Primers.

No Small Pistol Or Small Rifle thou.

Mind sharing store name? I’m desperate for large pistol primers.  Thanks pard!

I stumbled across 2000 small pistol yesterday. Federals, and on the waiting list again.

Well, yesterday I just happened to run across:

1.  23,000 small pistol match primers (I was nice and only bought 1,000)

2.   2,000 large pistol primers (bought them all)

Three others places in town were "out of stock"

Next adventure is find #10 percussion caps.

Gee.  The second time (I'm a slow learner) I had diarrhea just to discovered the TP dispenser was empty I learned to start planning ahead.  When there is Kleenex on the toilet tank lid I know we ran out of TP and the wife has forgotten to get some.  Now I have a 12-pack hidden away in the storage room (bought it on sale).

When y'all used up your last reloading component  ain't the time to replenish your stock.  Buy between panics when prices are lower. 

On 9/2/2020 at 6:58 PM, Assassin said:

Once again, if one can afford to buy in bulk, buy enough for a couple years when primers are available.

Agreed!!  Found out yesterday that a person I know who reloads commercially bought 185,000 small pistol primers last week and "cleaned" out

the retailer's stock.

Probably most know this by now, but if you don't:

I spoke with a highly placed executive at Vista Outdoors, parent company of Federal, RCBS, & other companies. He checked with the President of Federal to see about a bulk buy for me & several pards. The Federal President told him that there won't be any primers available for at least a year to their distributors or anyone else with the only exception being military & law enforcement. And, we already knew they're using most of their primers to make their bullets, which are much more profitable for them.

So, it ain't pretty, but there it is.

We hit two small gunshops today on our drive about.  I jokingly ask about primers and both places had been cleaned out long ago. 

One place had a large handgun display that was mostly empty.  Long gun racks were about half full.  No used guns. I asked and was told the same story - nobody is traided guns.

I happened past a bow and tackle store the other day. I forgot the place existed so I stopped in just to poke around. I found a box of winchester large rifle primers and scooped them up. that was the last of what they had for primers other than a couple hundred 209's for muzzle loaders. They did have a fair selection of smokeless powder and bp substitutes on the shelf. 

Here we are running into shortages which may not be replenished for some time. Primers not too bad at the moment, though the price hikes have been pretty bad. Reminds me to pick some up before the price jumps again. Before covid had even picked up speed one of our major importers whacked a 17% increase on products. It didnt take big business long to get their nose in the trough. I fear more of this is going to occur. Hold onto your hats in the coming year with inflation. I spent a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd world. This isnt my first rodeo. You stop economies  for a year, you may pay the price for another 20. 

I seem to be doing more computer work for folks, and getting paid in primers and bullets.
The most recent asked me, "How much is the bill"
I told him I don't need money, but primers, powder or bullets will do just fine.
Yesterday he dropped off a few boxes of Speer and Hornady FTX bullets in 44 mag, primers and some brass.

I'm good with that.

8 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hmm, maybe live fire practicing will be a little lower priority for some folks.

I might have to look at those laser targets, could be a cheaper way to get some practice in.

Archived