SASS Wire Forum

But, a BLT???

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Anybody ever try Ranch Dressing in place of mayo? None of that lite stuff though.

I also like Honey Mustard on sandwiches.

I'm stuck on this:

Chipotle gives it a real kick; dip pretzel nuggets, spread on sandwiches, dip chips, etc.

It's gooood.....

LL

maries.jpg

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Anybody ever try Ranch Dressing in place of mayo? None of that lite stuff though.

I also like Honey Mustard on sandwiches.

That's a favorite of mine.  Especially for an open face broiled cheese.  Lightly toast both sides of the bread, spread ranch dressing on one side, top with thin slices of tomato, black pepper, thin slices of onion- best if you have the onion kind of jumbled- top with your favorite cheese,  grated works better than slices,  pop under the broiler to the doneness you like.   

Dinner tonight.  The sausage grinder, a variation on a BLT:

1/2 lb. Jimmy Dean’s hot sausage, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo on a hoagie bun.

My coronary arteries are still quivering.

C2647336-58D7-465A-8E76-3EED5CE4AE51.thumb.jpeg.f39862bedd05ef53f6ff7f3cb0375781.jpeg

I do things a little differently.  I use the chipotle ranch or bacon ranch for a marinade..  I put a couple of chicken breasts in a zippered plastic bag, add the dressing to thoroughly coat, seal it up and put it in the fridge for the day.  In the evening, I fire up the grill, remove the breasts , DISCARD THE REMAINDER IN THE BAG, and grill.  The oil and spices do a wonderful job of marinading the meat and it's really tasty when I'm done.  If I make sandwiches with it, I toss on a slice of Swiss or provolone to get it nice and melted.  Tomatoe, lettuce, bacon on a Kaiser roll..............YUM!!!

22 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Dinner tonight.  The sausage grinder, a variation on a BLT:

1/2 lb. Jimmy Dean’s hot sausage, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo on a hoagie bun.

My coronary arteries are still quivering.

I normally eat mayo on a sandwich (don't eat much ketchup at all and only a little mustard) but sausage just screams for some yellow mustard.  I'm good with cheap yellow mustard- I usually prefer the store brand to French's. 

Patty sausage like Jimmy Dean fried up with a little crust on it with a ring or twa of yellow mustard on a biscuit has been breakfast many a morning.  Same goes for the smoked link sausage or Polish sausage.  Split them in half long wise, fry until there's a little crispy crust along the edge and put a little mustard on the bread.

6 hours ago, MizPete said:

I'm from South Carolina.  We put mustard on everything.

Yeah, but ya'll ruin it by putting honey in the BBQ sauce.  Around here, we use a mustard based BBQ sauce, too, but it's spicy hot with a vinegar tang.

These folks have been around for decades and it's pretty representative of what the local  BBQ shacks use for sauce.

http://www.foysbbq.com/

11 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

but ya'll ruin it by putting honey in the BBQ sauce. 

You're not wrong..  Yours sounds tasty.

42 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Re mustard: who asked about a BLT?  The answer is yes, on the bacon side.  Duke's mayo on the tomato/lettuce side.

Interesting. I do the opposite.  Mayo on the bacon side to tame the salt, mustard on the veggie side to spice them up.

11 hours ago, MizPete said:

You're not wrong..  Yours sounds tasty.

If you're ever down this way, or you know someone going to Columbus/Ft Benning, and want them pick some up, most local stores will carry the local brands and the Piggly Wiggly's in the area carry the best selection of the local/regional stuff.  If you come and go to a BBQ place, just remember that the rule of thumb is, 'the lighter in color, the hotter it is'.

The folks that invented Foy's and Pops lived a couple of blocks from Grandfather when my Dad was little.  Daddy went to elementary school with the kids.  That's the beauty of the South.  You go 50-75 miles in any direction and there will be another local take on BBQ sauce and nobody's ever heard of what we are doing around here.

When I was working in the Carolinas regularly, I ran into a guy that went to school with one of my cousins.  He begged me to bring him a couple of gallons of hot Foy's sauce. 

MY youngest niece ended up going to school up that way for a while and almost got in trouble at a local BBQ shack for ordering her meat with no sauce and using a bottle of Foy's that she'd bought on a visit home.  The place's owner tried it on his meat and wanted to keep the bottle.

Archived