SASS Wire Forum

My Grandmother

My grandmother died at the age of 103.5 about 2 years ago, She would have been 105 in August.

About 3 weeks ago, I got her Mail-in-Ballot application for the general election this fall. She always voted and use to work at the local precinct  to help with the voting for years. She still had active voter registration.

Last week, the census people showed up at Mom and Dad's house to inquire why they did not get her census form. I guess they came to here (I live in her farmhouse) and I was not here and there is a note on the front door to take packages from UPS that need signatures to their house for delivery if nobody is here. I live on the north side of the farm and they live on the south side of the farm. Dad called me and asked me if i had sent mine in and they were surprised at the reason she had not sent hers in.

Since I live in Illinois,I wonder if I should go ahead an mail the ballot in for her. There is no question about how she would vote and lots of people in cemeteries vote in Illinois. Chicago is 350 miles north of here so I wonder if anybody would notice that she voted? She would vote for the same person she voted for in the last election so it might get noticed since it is the wrong side for most people in cemeteries in Illinois. What do you all think?

I didn’t read this!  I haven’t seen anything!:unsure: :rolleyes:

Seriously I wouldn’t do anything but send it back to the voting place and mark it deceased!

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Seriously I wouldn’t do anything but send it back to the voting place and mark it deceased!

If you don't and vote it and are discovered you could be arrested for voter fraud.  If your grandmother is buried in a Chicago cemetery I would suspect she would have her vote recorded a certain way, just as I suspect all of my deceased relatives have voted since taking up residence in the "underground" in spite of the fact they voted the other way when they were alive! :ph34r::rolleyes:  Vote early, vote often! :P

Shred it, is my advice.

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's against the law.

Legal does not much to do with what a lot of people are doing right now. Have you been following the news?

9 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

If your grandmother is buried in a Chicago cemetery

She is buried here in Southern Illinois, we would have never done that to her. Grandpa is next to her, WWII Vet, served in the army in Germany in 1945-1947, crossed the ocean in a Liberty ship and after the fighting stopped, they asked him to go fight in the Pacific. Fortunately, he was able to decline to assignment and was part of the occupational forces and came home in 1947.

1 hour ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Shred it, is my advice.

I burned it with the rest of the old bills and trash today, but I was temped to mail it for her.:D

8 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Legal does not much to do with what a lot of people are doing right now. Have you been following the news?

Then mail it in. Be just like them...

:angry:

14 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

She is buried here in Southern Illinois, we would have never done that to her. Grandpa is next to her, WWII Vet, served in the army in Germany in 1945-1947, crossed the ocean in a Liberty ship and after the fighting stopped, they asked him to go fight in the Pacific. Fortunately, he was able to decline to assignment and was part of the occupational forces and came home in 1947.

I burned it with the rest of the old bills and trash today, but I was temped to mail it for her.:D

So . . . . , you think your Grandpa would approve of you sending in a ballot for a dead person?  A complete lack of scruples is evident here.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Then mail it in. Be just like them...

:angry:

If I was like them, I would have never posted this and sent the ballot in to be counted. I wonder how many more are out there floating around that will get sent in. It just showed to me mail-in-voting is not a good idea. I know I will go and vote about a week before the election at the courthouse in person just like last time as I knew I would be out of town on election day. it only took 5 minute and they were open Monday thru Saturday to vote.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

A complete lack of scruples is evident here.

A complete lack of scruples? Well, not quite. It was the temptation that I had to resist, and just because I could send it in to be counted that I would or should send it back to be counted. I destroyed it, I usually do the right thing, but temptation is everywhere.

Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening.:P:o;)

I avoid doing the illegal stuff, my morals could use some help most of the time, and I have lost 30 lbs since the beginning of March and only have 100 lbs more to real my goal.:D

Mad Dog;

You mentioned Southern Illinois.  My grandfather was born in (New) Grand Chain, and his parents were married in Pinckneyville.

4 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Two wrongs do not = a right, Pat. 

But 3 lefts make a right.....

43 minutes ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

A complete lack of scruples? Well, not quite. It was the temptation that I had to resist, and just because I could send it in to be counted that I would or should send it back to be counted. I destroyed it, I usually do the right thing, but temptation is everywhere.

Well, pat yourself on the back then.

39 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Mad Dog;

You mentioned Southern Illinois.  My grandfather was born in (New) Grand Chain, and his parents were married in Pinckneyville.

Ned,

I am 70 miles north east of Pinckneyville (more east than north) and 110 miles NE of Grand Chain.

Archived