SASS Wire Forum

MRI - Update

Subdeacon Joe

My doctor wanted me to get a MRI brain scan.  Went in and had it done today.  Not a bad experience.

The tech told me the results would be ready in a couple of business days.

I guess I get to find out if I have a brain. :D

THEY  FOUND IT!  

Yes, I have a brain.  No issues other than some things associated with age.  This from a short phone call from the doctor's office.  He will tell me more at the follow-up appointment in 2 weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Seriously, hope they don’t find anything. 

Thank you.  A few months ago I had a really strange dizzy spell, kind of like I was living a Daliesque dream.  Left work early and my boss sent me a text that night asking if I was OK - said he was concerned because I had looked really cruddy.

Told the doc about it during a tele-exam.  He wants to see if there might be some scarring that would indicate a stroke.  (shrug) Not much he can do about it at this point.  I did all the "what to do if you think you are having a stroke" field tests and none seemed to indicate it, not that those are definitive.  

37 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Have they ruled out inner ear issues? They can cause the same symptoms. 

I think he might have pursued that if it had been more than a one day event.  I did feel cruddy the next day,  but no dizziness. 

47 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thank you.  A few months ago I had a really strange dizzy spell, kind of like I was living a Daliesque dream.  Left work early and my boss sent me a text that night asking if I was OK - said he was concerned because I had looked really cruddy.

Told the doc about it during a tele-exam.  He wants to see if there might be some scarring that would indicate a stroke.  (shrug) Not much he can do about it at this point.  I did all the "what to do if you think you are having a stroke" field tests and none seemed to indicate it, not that those are definitive.  

Were you by any chance dehydrated?  Had it happen to me once and the ER gave me a saline water IV and a lot of water to drink and it went way.

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Were you by any chance dehydrated?  Had it happen to me once and the ER gave me a saline water IV and a lot of water to drink and it went way.

I don't think so.  It was about 10 a.m. when I left work and by that time I had had three 12 oz. cups of coffee,  one of water, and one and a half pint bottles of water.   I  had the same thought when I started feeling odd just after 0700, so started hitting the water. 

Todays technology the imagery is immediate. The wait is for the Radiologist to read it and prepare his report. Then your Doc. needs to review it and schedule a talk with you. Again, with technology the radiologist could be in Antarctica and read it.

13 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

So many jokes in that one, so little time. :D

Seriously, hope they don’t find anything. 

Well at least I hope they find your brain!

I hope they find you are ‘normal’ in that area. :rolleyes:

I have been loosing my hearing in my left ear, very dramatically. The Dr sent me for a CT scan of my head behind my Mastoid bone to look for a tumor on the hearing nerve. This tumor can also effect balance and dizziness. I can’t have an MRI due to pacemaker/defribulator (known as an ICD). Anyway the good news is. “If I have a tumor it is smaller than 2mm, the distance between CT image slices.” So there is no need to perform surgery to remove the tumor I may or may not have. This tumor is considered to be non cancerous the majority of the time, so they will monitor the situation for now.  It’s just as well the Dr says the operation to removed the tumor would be twenty (20) hours long. I checked to make sure my hearing wasn’t off on that.

Oh no, Joe!

I hope they can find out what is causing this.

I've been having dizzy spells for about five years, with no solution in sight (been to Cardiologist, Neurologist, had EKGs, MTIs, CT Scans, Heart Monitor, pills, vitamins, increased water intake...).  It has gotten so bad that, in July, I fell and hit my head. A  bump the size of a tennis ball resulted. That was the worst fall so far. It happened after I walked about 30 feet from where I was sitting.

Definitely be careful when you start getting dizzy, even if it means sitting on the ground until it passes. (I had a friend in Oregon who fell, hit his head, and died.) After that episode, I stand still after getting up until I'm sure I won't get dizzy when moving.

Sincerely,

Allie

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

My doctor wanted me to get a MRI brain scan.  Went in and had it done today.  Not a bad experience.

The tech told me the results would be ready in a couple of business days.

I guess I get to find out if I have a brain. :D

If not, can we call you SCARECROW?

I am having issues with balance. Having a hard time standing without leaning or holding onto something. Had an MRI of my head.

Met with the Doc and she says everything thats supposed to be there is. And nothing that isn't supposed to be there. Moved on to other tests.

When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer my Urologist ordered a full body MRI. It was seventy minutes of pure hell. I swore that if he ever wanted me to go through it again that he would have to put me out. It was the worst part of the treatment 

Howdy,

I urge anyone with any sort of dizzy spells to get a cane or better yet

a stick about four feet long.

A ribbed rubber tip on the ground and whatever hand hold you like.

And if you happen to have any golf clubs around, one of those makes

a nice little cane.

I had a monopod for 35 mm photography  and found that handy.

If you find yourself using furniture to steady yourself, stop doing that.

Sometimes furniture can slide and dump you on the ground.

Have a couple canes around, use as needed. Dont fall.

Best

CR

On 9/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Todays technology the imagery is immediate. The wait is for the Radiologist to read it and prepare his report. Then your Doc. needs to review it and schedule a talk with you. Again, with technology the radiologist could be in Antarctica and read it.

More like in India.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:32 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer my Urologist ordered a full body MRI. It was seventy minutes of pure hell. I swore that if he ever wanted me to go through it again that he would have to put me out. It was the worst part of the treatment 

If you ever have to have another MRI tell them it has to be with an open MRI.

For the 3 MRI's I have had the confined space only caused minor discomfort.  In January this year I developed very uncomfortable shoulder & upper arm pain.  Acetaminophen didn't make it bearable.  The ER doc prescribed acetaminophen & a mussel relaxer.  Didn't help; so, I went to my primary care doc who listened to my description of symptoms.  Because my symptoms included numbness on the pinky finger side of my right arm I was prescribed  Duloxetine.   The pain went away with the medication.   To find where the irritated nerve passed between vertibrae an MRI was done.  The long length of time require to do it was mentally uncomfortable.  Did a  lot of deep breathing & attempted meditation.  Unfortunately the irritated nerve passed between the last in the thoracic spine & last in the cervical spine therefore the image(s) left unacceptable doubt in the doctors diagnosis.  Had to do another MRI argh!

Well here is your problem! "The ER doc prescribed acetaminophen & a mussel relaxer.  "  the doctor is a quack he should have prescribed muscle relaxer for you. The stuff he did order for you only makes those shellfish easier to catch.

14 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

If you ever have to have another MRI tell them it has to be with an open MRI.

For the 3 MRI's I have had the confined space only caused minor discomfort.  In January this year I developed very uncomfortable shoulder & upper arm pain.  Acetaminophen didn't make it bearable.  The ER doc prescribed acetaminophen & a mussel relaxer.  Didn't help; so, I went to my primary care doc who listened to my description of symptoms.  Because my symptoms included numbness on the pinky finger side of my right arm I was prescribed  Duloxetine.   The pain went away with the medication.   To find where the irritated nerve passed between vertibrae an MRI was done.  The long length of time require to do it was mentally uncomfortable.  Did a  lot of deep breathing & attempted meditation.  Unfortunately the irritated nerve passed between the last in the thoracic spine & last in the cervical spine therefore the image(s) left unacceptable doubt in the doctors diagnosis.  Had to do another MRI argh!

Unfortunately my quack doesn’t believe in open MRI’s he claims that they aren’t clear enough 

51 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

How is your water intake Joe?  Hydration could be a source perhaps.

I don't pretend to be a doctor, but  a drink of water now and then isn't asking much.  :)

It was about 10 a.m. when I left work and by that time I had had three 12 oz. cups of coffee,  one of water, and one and a half pint bottles of water. I had started feeling odd about 0730 so I had the 12 oz of water followed by a pint bottle of water,  then was about half way through the second bottle when I left.

About 4 years ago I  had some sort of crud that was going around.   Lots of coughing.no appetite,  about the 4th day of it i was weak as a wet paper towel. BP very low.  Looked up the symptoms,  drank a quart of water right away.  Then started a 2nd.  Started feeling better.   That was the worst I've ever been dehydrated.

I had to sing this in third grade.  I remember very little it, but I had it memorized.

I could while away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers,
Consulting with the rain;
And my head I'd be a scratchin'
While my thoughts are busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain.
I'd unravel ev'ry riddle for my 
Individdle
In trouble or in pain
With the thoughts that you'll be thinkin'
You could be another Lincoln
If you only had a brain.
Oh, I, could tell you why 
The oceans near the shore
I could think of things I'd never
Thunk before,
And then I'd sit down and think some more.
I would not be just a muffin',
My head all full of stuffin',
My heart all full of pain;
And perhaps I'd deserve you and be
Even worthy even you
If I only had a brain

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It was about 10 a.m. when I left work and by that time I had had three 12 oz. cups of coffee,  one of water, and one and a half pint bottles of water. I had started feeling odd about 0730 so I had the 12 oz of water followed by a pint bottle of water,  then was about half way through the second bottle when I left.

About 4 years ago I  had some sort of crud that was going around.   Lots of coughing.no appetite,  about the 4th day of it i was weak as a wet paper towel. BP very low.  Looked up the symptoms,  drank a quart of water right away.  Then started a 2nd.  Started feeling better.   That was the worst I've ever been dehydrated.

Well what ever the cause, I hope you have it behind you.

I started to type gibberish with my left hand at work one day 6 years back. I knew it had to be in my brain. I went to the doc forthwith with a page of the gibberish. He sent me to an immediate MRI, and they found a large subdural hematoma. Probably from a ski accident 3 months earlier, that had stopped bleeding in time. Fortunate, because 50% of traumatic subdurals are fatal in short order.

So they drilled a little hole and solved it. I never had a single symptom but that one passing incident. The lesson is to always get immediate attention when something weird or unusual happens-- you know when something isn't right. The worst thing is they will find nothing wrong.

Archived