SASS Wire Forum

Better to have it and not need it...

McCandless

I was thinking about it for a long time, but never "pulled the trigger".   I went and bought my first AR lower (complete).  This one had everything I decided I wanted.  It will be a carbine build.  I like the idea of being able to change calibers should I want to...  I'll probably ask a question or two in the future.  But first, some research!

Check out Palmetto State Armory, Great folks to deal with

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Seduced to the Other Dark Side.  AR platforms are like boats - holes that you throw money into.  

Yes, but these “boats” also make holes and are lots of fun too! :D

9 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

It's like a lego set for adults.  There is no end to the contraptions you can attach to an AR-15.

9 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Check out Palmetto State Armory, Great folks to deal with

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, but these “boats” also make holes and are lots of fun too! :D

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Seduced to the Other Dark Side.  AR platforms are like boats - holes that you throw money into.  

I'm amazed at the sheer volume of sights, optics and scopes available !!?  

I just bought a Rock River AR15, haven't shot it yet because I only have 80 rounds for it. I hemmed hawed back and forth and then finally took the plunge. I can hardly wait to shoot it!

Side question, 500 rounds of American Eagle for $350.00??? It'll be close to 4 bills with shipping. Whadya think??

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just bought a Rock River AR15, haven't shot it yet because I only have 80 rounds for it. I hemmed hawed back and forth and then finally took the plunge. I can hardly wait to shoot it!

Side question, 500 rounds of American Eagle for $350.00??? It'll be clsoe to 4 bills with shipping. Whadya think??

Over priced, but all .223 right now is either out of stock or over priced.  It is very much a sellers market right now and for the foreseeable future.

12 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Side question, 500 rounds of American Eagle for $350.00??? It'll be close to 4 bills with shipping. Whadya think??

If you want some and don't reload, no time to be worried about the price.

6 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

If you want some and don't reload, no time to be worried about the price.

That's what I'm thinking and the prices are not gonna drop anytime soon either!:angry:

Just for grins, I've been saving .223 brass for years.  Powder isn't a problem... but finding small rifle primers might be.  

13 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Just for grins, I've been saving .223 brass for years.  Powder isn't a problem... but finding small rifle primers might be.  

There was a thread over on the Wire: https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/305447-small-pistol-primers-magnum-or-non-magnum/

and Three Foot Johnson made a comment: "About 8-10 years ago, when I was a manager at Sportsman's Warehouse, I asked a CCI rep at a seminar about primer interchangeability, and she said CCI's small pistol magnum and standard small rifle primers were the exact same primer, just in different packaging."

Extending that thought, it is possible that small pistol primers may be able to be used in place of small rifle primers.  Push comes to shove, load about 20 and see how they shoot and group.

I've assembled two from a pile of parts.  I've replaced and repaired parts on dozens more.  

After putting my two together (one a 20" carbine and one a 9" pistol), I decided that buying them already assembled was a good way to go.  Unless there's a specific reason, I shop until I find what I want and just buy already assembled.

21 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I've assembled two from a pile of parts.  I've replaced and repaired parts on dozens more.  

After putting my two together (one a 20" carbine and one a 9" pistol), I decided that buying them already assembled was a good way to go.  Unless there's a specific reason, I shop until I find what I want and just buy already assembled.

For me, the reasons are self-education and developing skills.

I have not finished my builds yet, started about 4 years ago with the purchase of two stripped lowers. And I also plan to build my uppers from components (no upper parts purchased yet).

It would be cheaper to just buy one or two or even three ready-to-go rifles and the pre-built will probably be better than my first builds. Between economy of scale (manufacturing), shipping (numerous small packages), tools (a few anyway), and the time to learn, select, buy, and build... Agree, need specific reasons to not just go buy one and go shooting. With what I already have into my two unfinished ones, I'm sure I could have bought one instead.

I also plan a 3rd one, .300 Blackout subsonic with a can. Still at the doodling/noodling stage. Other details TBD... No parts purchased yet.

6 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

For me, the reasons are self-education and developing skills.

I have not finished my builds yet, started about 4 years ago with the purchase of two stripped lowers. And I also plan to build my uppers from components (no upper parts purchased yet).

It would be cheaper to just buy one or two or even three ready-to-go reflex and the pre-built will probably be better than my first builds. Between economy of scale (manufacturing), shipping (numerous small packages), tools (a few anyway), and the time to learn, select, buy, and build... Agree, need specific reasons to not just go buy one and go shooting. With what I already have into my two unfinished ones, I'm sure I could have bought one instead.

I also plan a 3rd one, .300 Blackout subsonic with a can. Still at the doodling/noodling stage. Other details TBD... No parts purchased yet.

I heartily agree with self education and development of skills.  That said, I've been putting parts on and taking them off of AR-15s for about 20 years.  I assembled both of mine after attending a Colt AR-15 Armorer school, just to prove I could.  

21 hours ago, McCandless said:

I was thinking about it for a long time, but never "pulled the trigger".   I went and bought my first AR lower (complete).  This one had everything I decided I wanted.  It will be a carbine build.  I like the idea of being able to change calibers should I want to...  I'll probably ask a question or two in the future.  But first, some research!

Have fun!! It's a lot less messy than working on car engines. ;)

21 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Have fun!! It's a lot less messy than working on car engines. ;)

I'm holding off crawling under my project truck until the weather cools a bit.  It's running just fine now, I got most of the suspension done... but I need to modify the brake system.  Then, it needs an interior.   Another never ending project...  

On 9/2/2020 at 6:43 AM, Chantry said:

There was a thread over on the Wire: https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/305447-small-pistol-primers-magnum-or-non-magnum/

and Three Foot Johnson made a comment: "About 8-10 years ago, when I was a manager at Sportsman's Warehouse, I asked a CCI rep at a seminar about primer interchangeability, and she said CCI's small pistol magnum and standard small rifle primers were the exact same primer, just in different packaging."

Extending that thought, it is possible that small pistol primers may be able to be used in place of small rifle primers.  Push comes to shove, load about 20 and see how they shoot and group.

On 9/2/2020 at 6:26 AM, McCandless said:

Since everything I can find  on this  is in forums  I will just link the search I did:

https://www.google.com/search?q=small+rifle+primers+same+as+small+magnum+pistol+primers&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS839US839&oq=small+rifle+primers+same+as+small+magnum+pistol+primers&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.25279j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Interesting concept. Not sure I would do it though.

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Since everything I can find  on this  is in forums  I will just link the search I did:

https://www.google.com/search?q=small+rifle+primers+same+as+small+magnum+pistol+primers&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS839US839&oq=small+rifle+primers+same+as+small+magnum+pistol+primers&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.25279j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I was looking online, and after a long search I actually found ammo online at a decent price.  Ordered 200 rounds of Federal .223 ammo to get me started.  (That's all I was allowed to buy, and 200 9mm).  Now to choose my carbine upper...  then some sights.

1 minute ago, McCandless said:

I was looking online, and after a long search found some online at a good price.  Ordered 200 rounds of Federal .223 ammo to get me started.  Now to choose my carbine upper...  then some sights.

Ordered ain’t received these days however. I have a lot of stuff in limbo. fortunately nothing critical.

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Fun in the sun I call it! 

2EE830A5-23D8-498F-B87D-428756185407.jpeg

I see that you have fold-down iron sights.  Which optic did you choose?

48 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I view it as a last resort and I certainly would NOT do max loads or any other possible reloading situation where the primer difference would cause the load to become unsafe.

Fortunately I'm currently in a position where I don't need to experiment like that

27 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I view it as a last resort and I certainly would NOT do max loads or any other possible reloading situation where the primer difference would cause the load to become unsafe.

Fortunately I'm currently in a position where I don't need to experiment like that

I agree. Especially when there is no definitive information. 

2 hours ago, McCandless said:

I see that you have fold-down iron sights.  Which optic did you choose?

Fold downs are Magpul MBUS. Optic is a Vortex Strikefire Red/Green dot

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Strikefire-Red-Sight/dp/B00MAJKX9M

I got bored a couple winters ago. Bought 6000 bullets and primers. Made 5.56 ammo for two weeks. FMJ, Hornady Vmax, Remington soft points. I'm good to go.

I have built 4 lowers & 1 upper.  I built them for the satisfaction of building them.  The advantage of building them is the same reason for building a desktop Wintel PC.  It is cost effective when you want a specific set of components that isn't available pre-assembled.  Only 1 of the 4 have mil-spec triggers.  The 1 upper build was because the core components was a matched upper & lower receiver set with proprietary barrel nut & proprietary hand guard.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a virtual lower for a week or more... with a hypothetical supply of .223 and 5.56... I've allegedly found and ordered a theoretic upper... and a conjectural optic.

Soon I might, maybe, be able to conduct imaginary target shooting and suppositious boar hunting.   Or maybe it was just a dream.

One of the guys at work (he quit earlier this year to go to bigger and better) was a gun guy, mostly modern stuff.  He knew I was a gun guy, mostly interested in pre-WWII stuff including cap and ball and other more primitive firearms.  We used to gig each other about each others preferences.

Maybe 4 years ago I shocked him by starting to ask about AR builds.  Told him I saw how California law was going and wanted to get a couple before I couldn't.  Bought the lower receivers locally, bought lower build kits and assembled uppers from Palmetto State.  
Then the laws changed, so I bought some Mag-lock (sp?) kits and installed them to make them no longer evil assault weapons.
Then the laws changed again and I said, "EFFIT!" and bought the stocks that replaced the adjustable stock and pistol grip, swapped the "flash hider" for muzzle brakes, put the original magazine release back on since they were now, with a few simple changes, no longer assault weapons.

Archived