SASS Wire Forum

RVer’s What Tire Presser Monitor System?

Facebook has a number of RV owners groups. They have a number of discussions on TPMS systems. Also they have determined that a number of RV manufacturers use "China Bombs" for tires. Tires made in China. They destruct, blow up, loose tread, go flat. The milage varies between driving away from the dealer lot to 4,000 miles before they go boom.

The problem is that most of them attach to the threads on the end of the valve stem. Most valve stems are rubber and the sensors make them top heavy and they bounce around and hit the rim, damaging then sensor.

TPM need to be integrated inside the wheel.  If it's an "add on" to the valve stem, avoid it like the plague.  The RV should include the dash status display as well.

Howdy

Tire valve stem should always be capped tight.

If the valve has any sort of problem that cap is

the last line of keeping air in a tire.

Ive had pressure systems from factory that just cause

extra fuss when the tire was totally fine.

Check tire pressure when the weather changes or you go on a trip.

Ten degree temp changes about one psi.

So a tire aired up on a 90 degree day could be 9 psi low on a zero degree day.

Best

CR

I have looked at the TPMS's and have decided they aren't worth it to me. I check my tire pressures every morning the day that I travel, even if I only pulled in for the night. I also get out and look for tire trouble at every lunch, fuel, or other stop. I have weighed my motorhome and make sure that I am well under the GVWR, then I tell my wife how many pounds of cr@p she can buy during the trip :o

None of this guarantees that I won't suffer catastrophic tire failure, but neither does a TPMS system. My process has just served me well for the last 10+ years.

The problem with travel trailers (camper) is you can't feel a flat tire like you can in the truck.  Especially with dual axles.  The tire goes flat, disintegrates and beats the side of your camper causing lots of damage.  The first thing to do is get rid of those OEM Chinese tires.  I did a lot of research and settled on the Goodyear Endurance tire for my camper.  It has a higher weight capacity, higher speed rating and higher standard tire pressure.  They recommend running them at 65 psi.  I also went with the TST-507 tire pressure monitoring system for the camper.  I've had it about 3 years and it's worked for over 20k miles.  When I had the tires changed, I had the shop use high pressure valve stems to give the monitors more support.  You'll need to change the batteries in the monitors about every 2 years.   The TST507 system will monitor the air pressure and the tire temperature.  The temperature reading will give you a heads up if you have a stuck brake or wheel bearings about to go out.  If one tire is reading 20 degrees hotter than the other three, you know something is wrong.

I wouldn't buy anything I didn't have to from Camping World but it was the 1st description I found on the web.  Other places sell it.

https://www.campingworld.com/tst-507-series-4-flow-thru-sensor-tpms-system-with-color-display-115963.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76gBsoOzRsKAfNUyHy11Omy3TXuyN1WkKqbRrt7f8QHr-7i1AHxFY6xoCfKQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

With either luck or stupidty, I had my original OEM "China Bombs" go 32,000 miles before I replaced them this year on a 2016 trailer. They still had almost A third of the tread left. A Cowboy buddy sent me a picture of a blown up 2 year old low mileage tire on his camper while on vacation. Did some research and decided on 8 ply Carlisle trailer tires. Yes, they are still made in China but every review I read was favorable. I might be crazy but I think it pulls easier and mileage went up just a tad. It is a 26 ft lightweight trailer with just a 5100 bGVWR.

6 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The problem with travel trailers (camper) is you can't feel a flat tire like you can in the truck.  Especially with dual axles.  The tire goes flat, disintegrates and beats the side of your camper causing lots of damage.  The first thing to do is get rid of those OEM Chinese tires.  I did a lot of research and settled on the Goodyear Endurance tire for my camper.  It has a higher weight capacity, higher speed rating and higher standard tire pressure.  They recommend running them at 65 psi.  I also went with the TST-507 tire pressure monitoring system for the camper.  I've had it about 3 years and it's worked for over 20k miles.  When I had the tires changed, I had the shop use high pressure valve stems to give the monitors more support.  You'll need to change the batteries in the monitors about every 2 years.   The TST507 system will monitor the air pressure and the tire temperature.  The temperature reading will give you a heads up if you have a stuck brake or wheel bearings about to go out.  If one tire is reading 20 degrees hotter than the other three, you know something is wrong.

I wouldn't buy anything I didn't have to from Camping World but it was the 1st description I found on the web.  Other places sell it.

https://www.campingworld.com/tst-507-series-4-flow-thru-sensor-tpms-system-with-color-display-115963.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76gBsoOzRsKAfNUyHy11Omy3TXuyN1WkKqbRrt7f8QHr-7i1AHxFY6xoCfKQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is exactly what happened. I didn’t even feel the tire go. Neither did any of my family. It was pretty scary. 

I suspect that most trailer tire failures are due to a slow leak.  Nail, leaky valve stem, lack of maintenance.  The tire heats up due to low air pressure and then separates.  By the time you've drug that flat tire for 5-10 miles, it probably looks like it blew up.  The TPMS will sound an alarm if your tire pressure goes below a preset number.  It's peace of mind and added safety for our trip.  

13 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

... The TPMS will sound an alarm if your tire pressure goes below a preset number.  It's peace of mind and added safety for our trip.  

Or goes above a selectable tire pressure  and tire temperature alarm.

eezrvproducts.com is what I use.

Archived