SASS Wire Forum

SteamPunk.... Yes or No

Sheriff Sam

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I would much rather see Zoot Shooting [Prohibition Era] recognized as a separate category.

I can’t agree!  I don’t believe that they use only single action, SASS accepted guns!

11 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

It is a shooting competition.  Period.

We use a timer, count misses, keep score.

You (as well as I) may enjoy the friendship and fellowship - but adding even more diluted opportunities for some to buckle have zero to do with that.

Dress however you like - if it adds enjoyment to your event - do it.

But don't for a moment attempt to convince me or anyone with an ounce of common sense that a top hat and goggles, a collection of gears glued to your rifle or a novelty outfit somehow hinders your ability to participate in a shooting competition so drastically that you require an additional category.

I think I said that it DIDN’T require a separate category!!

As to the common sense statement, anyone with common sense wouldn’t claim that 90% of those involved see it only as a shooting competition, given that several categories have been campaigned for and eventually included, especially since by participating in some of those categories almost guarantees that the contestant will not win the match!!

YES!!  It’s a shooting competition!  

BUT!!  It’s not JUST a shooting competition!! By its own statement, SASS says so itself!!  To say otherwise flys in the face of common sense!!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I think I said that it DIDN’T require a separate category!!

As to the common sense statement, anyone with common sense wouldn’t claim that 90% of those involved see it only as a shooting competition, given that several categories have been campaigned for and eventually included, especially since by participating in some of those categories almost guarantees that the contestant will not win the match!!

YES!!  It’s a shooting competition!  

BUT!!  It’s not JUST a shooting competition!! By its own statement, SASS says so itself!!  To say otherwise flys in the face of common sense!!!

Interesting method to twist words.

I never said "ONLY"  a shooting competition

Or "JUST" a shooting competition.

And contrary to your implication - the people that most strongly lobbied for recognition to differentiate and separate DRESS UP categories were NOT primarily made up of folks who were in the running to win the match.

That is EXACTLY why the lobbying was done; to provide folks who had little chance to win more heavily populated categories - yet another diluted category in which they might then "win" awards.

You are more than welcome to dress up in spurs and fringe and bling to your hearts content, use your Marlin and Buscadero rig.  

You are more than welcome to dress up in a silk wild rag, wear a Crocodile Dundee knife and leathers, use a 40+ caliber firearm.

And you are more than welcome to dress up to epitomize the writings of Jules Verne or dress like a fevered nightmare of HG Wells.

Shoot; dress up in a sun bonnet, prairie dress, red pigtails and call yourself Pippi Longstockings if you wish.

No one cares - If it passes the cowboy eyeball test and makes you happy - go for it. 

90% of the folks at a match are there for their personal enjoyment - not worrying about what underwear others are wearing.

BUT...

In a SHOOTING competition; your personal choices of ATTIRE are exactly that; CHOICES.

If your choices hinder your performance AND you wish an award - make different choices.

But stop with the prevailing attitude of,

"I can't win within the existing categories if I dress up the way I want to - so YOU have to accommodate my wishes to dress up AND provide me opportunity to get an award."

While I acknowledge everyone who shoots in a costume differentiated category does not do so solely to better their chances of winning something.

I do feel that Classic Cowboy, B-Western, Steampunk, Transylvania Transvestite or any proposed category differentiations that sort and separate shooters by a NON SHOOTING component are suspect.

14 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

And you are more than welcome to dress up to epitomize the writings of Jules Verne or dress like a fevered nightmare of HG Wells

Now this is funny!!!

:lol:

Why did they get rid of the Modern category?:wacko: 

I remember Doc Peabody, and his Rotorectorootalater (sp)he carried on his belt. He was Steampunky long before anyone else. Heard he moved to Boise.

Actually, there was an article about him in the CC back in 98-99. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

@Creeker, SASS #43022Classic Cowboy differentiates on shooting based components, both style, caliber, and gun choice requirements, so I would not include it in your list. 

Perhaps.

But since there were EXISTING categories that easily and regularly accommodated the equipment, caliber and shooting style prior to the creation of Classic Cowboy - and the Dress up component of Classic is so stressed (afterall, I've seen pre shoot meetings to verify and count the dress requirements; yet I have never seen a shooter checking the caliber markings on their competitors rifle) it's existence is not justified by the equipment - but the attire.  

2 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Perhaps.

But since there were EXISTING categories that easily and regularly accommodated the equipment, caliber and shooting style prior to the creation of Classic Cowboy - and the Dress up component of Classic is so stressed (afterall, I've seen pre shoot meetings to verify and count the dress requirements; yet I have never seen a shooter checking the caliber markings on their competitors rifle) it's existence is not justified by the equipment - but the attire.  

I think it has competitive related requirements that are unique, as a whole, and valid.  Just my opinion.  With regard to the other categories you mentioned we're in agreement. 

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Great... Now you just gave them another category idea. Just what we, Rocky Horror Hombre category.

I like it.

Rocky Horror Hombre.

Frank-N-Furter Fishnet Frontier Cartridge.

Riff Raff Rawhide....

Hmm that might have some inappropriate innuendo

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Interesting method to twist words.

I never said "ONLY"  a shooting competition

Or "JUST" a shooting competition.

And contrary to your implication - the people that most strongly lobbied for recognition to differentiate and separate DRESS UP categories were NOT primarily made up of folks who were in the running to win the match.

That is EXACTLY why the lobbying was done; to provide folks who had little chance to win more heavily populated categories - yet another diluted category in which they might then "win" awards.

You are more than welcome to dress up in spurs and fringe and bling to your hearts content, use your Marlin and Buscadero rig.  

You are more than welcome to dress up in a silk wild rag, wear a Crocodile Dundee knife and leathers, use a 40+ caliber firearm.

And you are more than welcome to dress up to epitomize the writings of Jules Verne or dress like a fevered nightmare of HG Wells.

Shoot; dress up in a sun bonnet, prairie dress, red pigtails and call yourself Pippi Longstockings if you wish.

No one cares - If it passes the cowboy eyeball test and makes you happy - go for it. 

90% of the folks at a match are there for their personal enjoyment - not worrying about what underwear others are wearing.

BUT...

In a SHOOTING competition; your personal choices of ATTIRE are exactly that; CHOICES.

If your choices hinder your performance AND you wish an award - make different choices.

But stop with the prevailing attitude of,

"I can't win within the existing categories if I dress up the way I want to - so YOU have to accommodate my wishes to dress up AND provide me opportunity to get an award."

While I acknowledge everyone who shoots in a costume differentiated category does not do so solely to better their chances of winning something.

I do feel that Classic Cowboy, B-Western, Steampunk, Transylvania Transvestite or any proposed category differentiations that sort and separate shooters by a NON SHOOTING component are suspect.

Perhaps you didn’t SAY “only” and  “just” in your post, but the tenor of it indicated those sentiments!

I made NO attempt to “twist” ANYTHING! I merely stated my contention that your claim of 90% of participants was probably an overestimation, especially since there are a few recognized categories that are there specifically because ENOUGH shooters wanted them!!

We have had B Western and Gunfighter shooters come within a hair’s breadth of winning the overall world championship! Those  same shooters have won and continue to win State overalls and large annual matches. Discounting these as categories initiated because the participants couldn’t compete could be construed as a possible insult to some really great shooters!!

11 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Perhaps you didn’t SAY “only” and  “just” in your post, but the tenor of it indicated those sentiments!

We have had B Western and Gunfighter shooters come within a hair’s breadth of winning the overall world championship! Those  same shooters have won and continue to win State overalls and large annual matches. Discounting these as categories initiated because the participants couldn’t compete could be construed as a possible insult to some really great shooters!!

When you try to attribute "tenor" and context that is not stated to another persons written word - you run the very real risk of twisting anothers words.

Firstly; Im pretty sure Gunfighter is not a costume category.

Secondly; I'm not questioning or demeaning the skill level of any specific participant in a costume category.  

Anyone who places well at any shoot has my admiration and congratulations.

But wearing silly hats or a handful of accessories - does not materially change the difficulty of a SHOOTING competition and is undeserving of its own award simply for the NON shooting component of wearing silly clothes.

You may disagree - that's your right.

But they don't award an additional trophy in a marathon simply because one runner makes the choice to wear dress shoes and convinces two other like minded folks that it might be fun.

On 8/31/2020 at 10:30 PM, Sheriff Sam said:

Does SASS allow any type of costuming for a steam punk category at all? If so where can I find more information on it please

Yes, the costuming is allowed as long as it is within the costuming rules in the handbook (ie. no ball caps, sneakers, etc.)
There is no info on steampunk in the SASS Handbook.  
Additionally, there is no category for steampunk.  Many who enjoy the costuming simply compete in the age based categories wearing the steampunk attire.  On occasion, a match will feature a special theme (ie. steampunk, Hawaiian, pirate, etc).  Doing so is at the discretion of the match organizers.

This post has rarely received simple answers.  It has however, received many supportive and even more not so supportive comments.  I actually wish the moderators would simply lock it down.

Part of the "point" of Steampunk is taking the technology of the nineteenth century to its most logical, or in some cases, illogical conclusion.   Looking at some real examples of high tech from the era, just for giggles, what is more "steampunky?"

Option One.
Pistol: Smith and Wesson New Model 3 DA

Shotgun:  Winchester 97

Rifle:  Winchester 95

OR 

Option Two:

Pistol:  Broomhandle Mauser

Shotgun:  Burgess

Rifle: Savage 99

Please don't take this part too seriously...

19 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ah yes, let's just get rid of the whole pesky "Cowboy" thing...way too confining.

SARCASM!!  Probably a better response than I would have offered. :rolleyes: 

Broomhandle Mauser was used in the movie Joe Kidd. Presidence has been set. Remember? It was the gun that never ran out of ammo.

600px-JKC96-7.jpg

I think that the broomhandle Mauser SHOULD be included in Wild Bunch, but that’s a separate discussion, meant for another time and place!

I think it's a cool idea, and can help make the sport more accessible/appealing to more folks without wildly diluting the spirit of the game. There are a lot of people who get really into the genre that could fit in really well with the SASS family. Sports evolve all the time, and different doesn't always equate to bad (obviously within reason). Time period is consistent, so I think it fits with SASS as long as the standards are consistent. Heck, I think could be fun to have a Mad Max style "post apocalypse western" side match sometime, but that might be going too far...

1 hour ago, gsp7 said:

What is steampunk?

In short, it is retro-futuristic. Take tech from the 1800s and carry it forward. Then there is fashion based on the idea. And some consider it sexy. Here are some pics:

cc213-steampunk-couple-costumes.jpg

5e5d4fc38ea9d.image.jpg?crop=1548,1161,1

image-asset.jpeg31951269-steampunk-woman-fantasy-fashion

Or read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk_fashion

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

In short, it is retro-futuristic. Take tech from the 1800s and carry it forward. Then there is fashion based on the idea. And some consider it sexy. Here are some pics:

cc213-steampunk-couple-costumes.jpg

5e5d4fc38ea9d.image.jpg?crop=1548,1161,1

image-asset.jpeg31951269-steampunk-woman-fantasy-fashion

Or read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk_fashion

Now just add a couple hundred pounds... There goes sexy!

Archived