SASS Wire Forum

SteamPunk.... Yes or No

Sheriff Sam

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no SASS category for Steampunk, so there are no official rules. There are many clubs that recognize it as a category, however. You would need to contact the individual clubs to see what their rules are.

i dont get out mush ......but .....i see a bunch of steam punk folks at the shoots i go to - not crazy but some real fine costume items that are quite interesting , everything else is straight up cowboy 

To me, "steampunk" is like a sub category of B Western.   Not officially, of course, it's just a concept that seems to fit into that area.  If you want to do a steampunk type costume then go for it and have fun.   What the word actually "means" is open to interpretation of the individual.

39 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If it helps to bring in more shooters to the game.

Go for it.....

OLG

Excellent way to dilute SASS into something else.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Excellent way to dilute SASS into something else.

How so?

It really doesn't seem to be anything other than a specific type of costuming.   While not a category of its own, it's no different to my mind from the fellow who wants to dress up as a character from F-Troop, or the TV version of Wyatt Earp, or making up a costume that says, "I'm the local barber."   It's just a strange variation of late 1800's style of clothing based upon things like Jules Verne or The Wild Wild West instead of Zane Grey or The Rifleman.

Personally I like it and don't see a problem if somebody wants to dress that way and compete in their age based or shooting style category.  I also would like to see SASS make an exception to the "no-external modifications" to firearms as long as the steampunk modification does not enhance or give a competitive edge to the actual function of the firearm.  I think lever rifle and 87 shotgun decked out with gears, heat shields, pressure gauges and other various superficial doodads would be pretty cool.  I also think it would be a good way to drum up interest with the younger generation that cosplay/com-icon appeals to.  Just try to avoid attracting the furry and brony crowd. :lol:

My impression of steam punk is what is shown on the Will Smith version of the Wild Wild West, and I personally have no issue with any women shooters that want to dress in that manner, especially if they want to dress the part of Rita Escobar.

4 minutes ago, Cholla said:

My impression of steam punk is what is shown on the Will Smith version of the Wild Wild West, and I personally have no issue with any women shooters that want to dress in that manner, especially if they want to dress the part of Rita Escobar.

Not familiar with that movie, but this is what I have in mind for western steampunk costuming. 

https://youtu.be/jvipPYFebWc

20 minutes ago, Cholla said:

What exactly steampunk is is hard to define.   One way to describe is Science Fiction Set in the Old West.  Another descriptive explanation would be taking late 1800's technology to its logical, or even extreme limits.  Things that with imagination and unlimited funding, could have, but did not exist at that time.

Examples of things that could be described as steam punk in the broadest definition of the term would be the works of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells.  The TV show and the movie versions of Wild Wild West are both good examples, with the movie going more to the extreme example.   Movies like Cowboys and Aliens, Back to the Future Part III (think Doc Brown's tricked out '66) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and it's source material) could also be examples.   Two episodes of Doctor Who, while both being a stretch, could fit, as could the Star Trek episode, Specter of the Gun.

All of this adds up to why I think "Steampunk" does not need a category but should be left something that is up to the interpretation of the person who wants to do it.   There are just too many variables and if you try to define it, you're gonna wind up not allowing things that very arguably could be a legitimate part of it.

And lets not even go into what kind of guns could be used...

8 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Not familiar with that movie, but this is what I have in mind for western steampunk costuming. 

https://youtu.be/jvipPYFebWc

I find it inconceivable that you have never seen the WWW movie: 

Rolan’s rules exclude shooters who wish to shoot Gunfighter style.  That’s the only problem I see with his vision!!

I’d even go for Steampunk, shooting Outlaw Gunfighter with Black Powder, (always capitalize BP!!).  Maybe even cap ‘n’ ball!!  

Several established categories would support the Steampunk sub cat. and not suffer any ill effects!!

The participants could score their sub category across the entire spectrum like we score T-rex and such at bigger matches.

Example: A couple of shooters in Gunfighter, two or three in BW, another one or two in FCGF, and some more in the other categories that the costuming didn’t preclude participating.  The Steampunk crowd could take the scores from the main match, compile their finishing order, and award their own appropriate awards!  

No downside that I can see!!

Normally, I dress with some form of Steampunk near every match.  Don't need a cattle gory.  Just show up in your Victorian Finery.  Oh, and bring yer guns.  And ... YES Marsha, I shoot Gunfighter with Cap Gun SNUBBIES!!  Burma Shave

Personally,No. I don’t care for it. But I ain’t gonna cry about it. 

Steampunk has so many interpretations, and I'm not interested so I'm kind of meh on the discussion.

And then someone mentioned Wild Wild West. OK, maybe I do get it. But still meh. For me.

But if there is enough interest and enough interested people can get behind a set of rules to establish it as a category, then I am still meh. Meaning I would not stand in the way of it. I get it, it just is not me.

My outfit? It fits neither Classic or B, or SP; I just like it. I get no points for it, but meh. I just want to shoot without to many requirements on me.

But now that I have more of a sense of what the category idea is, I sure don't mind it. This is a fantasy sport anyway, and that SP is an aspect of that fantasy. Want more realism and authenticity, I highly recommend NCOWS or any of the re-enactor groups. They are great too.

For the fantasy (movie and TV) side of CAS, I think SASS is the right organization. And the (Wild) Wild West meets Jules Verne seem to fit that well.

On edit: Just to be clear, I also "get" Classic and B, I just don't care to compete in them. So for them, I am also meh. In terms of the subject line for this thread, take that as a yes.

Dress as appropriate/ desired from the vast history of cowboys/ or old west characters. 

Dress as appropriate/ desired from the vast history of film/ TV representation of cowboys/ or old west characters.

Dress as appropriate/ desired from the vast history of written representation of cowboys/ or old west characters.

Real or imagined - Historically correct or hysterically correct.  

"If" an eight year old kid would look at you and say "that's a cowboy" - that is sufficient. 

The only bonus points (which should hold no value other than ego stroking) are if the word "cool" precedes cowboy.

Beyond that - I (and about 90% of the others in this game) don't care about what style boots, hat, shirt or underwear you sport.

We feel the same way about your guns. 

We dont obsess about the diameter of your bore or the color of your smoke.

Don't care whether you shoot a Marlin, Burgess, Winchester or Henry (1860 or Big Boy).

And we care even less if it's blue, brass, stainless, cero-koted or covered in steampunk gears.

But what 90% of us do agree on - there are too many categories with meaningless (to a SHOOTING competition) rules and differentiations.

Pick a propellent.

Shoot your pistols supported, Duelist or Gunfighter.

Pick an age category you are eligible for.

Glance in the mirror after exiting the shower to determine your gender.

And then dress in any appropriate manner you wish.

But please stop asking for rules regarding something that needs no rules established and requires no differentiations.

4 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

But please stop asking for rules regarding something that needs no rules established and requires no differentiations.

Unless you really want a category like Classic or B and want to win in it, then rules are (were) needed to decide a winner. And those take (took) sufficient interest to get established in the first place.

The nice thing about those categories (for me) is that I am not bound by them since I do not have an interest to compete in them. Nor am I bound to any complete and total authenticity to the Old West (re-enactor) or to using the the actual firearms without slicking and stroking and choices of propellent (NCOWS). I am no expert in NCOWS, but do know my rifle is not legal in that sport; I like my rifle.

I see SP as a variation of Classic or B, another fantasy version of the old west but we can slick up our guns and run as fast as we can within technology limitations. Technology limitations are refreshing compared to the modern firearms sports (which I also compete in). I do not foresee SP allowing red-dot sights, the technology  was not available. I can see a "fantasy" technology look, gears that suggest an automatic-adjustment sight based on a prism and parallax. Not that any real functionality would be needed at the distances we shoot.

For those who want the category, there will likely be a lot of discussion and input as to the judging criteria, legal mods, the dozen required costume elements for each shooting style, the allowed shooting styles, and the actual firearms restrictions in the category. For those interested, I suggest looking at the actual movies and TV series for guidance rather than just wanting and wishing. Just like Classic and B. Base the actual rules on the "documented" (actual productions) fantasy and go from there.

For those who want it, go build it. Advocate for it. Make it happen. For those not interested, like me, let them have their fun. I just want to have mine.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but I don’t buy that 90% of the participants feel that there are too many categories. Nor do I accept that our game should be reduced “(to a SHOOTING competition)”!

If that were true, nobody would have campaigned for, or participated in these other categories! Frontiersman wouldn’t exist. Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl would have no competitors.  Duelist would ONLY be a style of shooting.

NO!! This not just a “SHOOTING competition” to more of us than you realize!!

YES!! We do compete!  

YES!! We shoot!!

But if this were only a shooting competition, matches like Comin’AtCha’, Black Gold Shootout, Ambush at Cavern Cove, and the like wouldn’t be as popular as they are!  The Tennessee State Match wouldn’t have grown the way it has!  Numerous other matches would have long ago become only memories!!  Matches we return to year after year would have little of their own unique personalities!!

Most participants, many spouses/significant others, friends, and relatives come to these events to be entertained and to mix and mingle with other folks who enjoy the same things!

I really enjoy the competition part of the game! But what keeps me and many others coming back is what happens away from the firing line!

It is a shooting competition.  Period.

We use a timer, count misses, keep score.

You (as well as I) may enjoy the friendship and fellowship - but adding even more diluted opportunities for some to buckle have zero to do with that.

Dress however you like - if it adds enjoyment to your event - do it.

But don't for a moment attempt to convince me or anyone with an ounce of common sense that a top hat and goggles, a collection of gears glued to your rifle or a novelty outfit somehow hinders your ability to participate in a shooting competition so drastically that you require an additional category.

What if we just made a Rita Escobar catagory and let it go at that? :P

10 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

It is a shooting competition.  Period.

We use a timer, count misses, keep score.

You (as well as I) may enjoy the friendship and fellowship - but adding even more diluted opportunities for some to buckle have zero to do with that.

Dress however you like - if it adds enjoyment to your event - do it.

But don't for a moment attempt to convince me or anyone with an ounce of common sense that a top hat and goggles, a collection of gears glued to your rifle or a novelty outfit somehow hinders your ability to participate in a shooting competition so drastically that you require an additional category.

That's pretty much how I feel about it.  It's a shooting competition that includes the ability for anyone to dress up and some minor 'dress up' requirements for everyone.  None of the costume based categories appeal to me, but if others like them (and clearly many do) go for it. 

If folks want to divide and subdivide categories to the point where pretty much everyone is finishing somewhere between 1-3 in their category, have at it. 

Although I sometimes find it amusing, it doesn't bother me or take away from the aspects of the game that I like.

The distinctions that matter to me are shooting style, propellent, firearms used, and age.

I would much rather see Zoot Shooting [Prohibition Era] recognized as a separate category.

Archived