SASS Wire Forum

A Man in a Jet Pack? Seriously?

DocWard

Stark Industries test flight. No biggy 

Anybody seen Elon Musk lately?

I believe it. People have risen or sunk to a whole new level of stupidity, ignorance and self-absorption these days. 

I’ll bet there’s a YouTube video or an Instagram posting some giggly moron posted recently. 

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I believe it. People have risen or sunk to a whole new level of stupidity, ignorance and self-absorption these days. 

I’ll bet there’s a YouTube video or an Instagram posting some giggly moron posted recently. 

Smart technology seems to have made people dumber.

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Smart technology seems to have made people dumber.

Yes, It has. People can't even answer simple math questions without  consulting their phones.

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

This video is just one of many where variations of 'jet packs' are being used and tested.

Enjoy.

..........Widder

Now that’s cool! 

31 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Or coulda been one of these guys...   :)

That was my first thought. But they seem to be pretty responsible about the stuff they’ve done so far.

Maybe just a pizza delivery to cluster balloon pilot.  It's cold at altitude and one gets hungry quickly.

Joel Tauber | Activist. Artist. Filmmaker. | cluster ballooning

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Isn't he in danger of backdraft from airliners?   That would send him "flying"!

Yup. Wake turbulence is the technical term for what are horizontal tornadoes coming off the wingtips as a byproduct of lift. The heavier the plane, the more powerful they become. As long as one stays above the flight path of the preceding aircraft, all is good. 

Not necessarily!  Know where the "turbulence zones" and wingtip vortices would be and you're okay.

In 2015 Yves Rossy and Vince Reffet flew in formation with an Emerites Airbus A380 for about ten minutes.  

Short video here.   ;)

image.jpeg.98a12604f001d22b404f78f133686ce9.jpeg

with 30 seconds of fuel he would have to climb at 6000 feet per minutr

e to get to 3000 feet and then he would be empty.  Dave is right, thats a drone

Duffield

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That was my first thought. But they seem to be pretty responsible about the stuff they’ve done so far.

only takes one to mess things up

take the guy in Los Vegas with the bump stock . . . 

1 minute ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

only takes one to mess things up

take the guy in Los Vegas with the bump stock . . . 

True. But you can’t. But you can’t pick up one of those jet suits at the local Honda dealer. It would take a seriously wealthy lunatic. It will be interesting to see if the investigation bears ant fruit.

I’m leaning toward the drone.

For a few grand, an r/c modeler can build almost anything, hide airfoils and control surfaces inside the model, and make it fly. 

I’ve seen Snoopy on his dog house flying air to air with a Red Baron tri-wing. More than once, creative types have built Superman look-alikes.  I even saw somebody fly a kitchen sink because a buddy had joked “You’ve modeled everything but...”

With today’s engines and transmitters, I have no doubt this is an r/c model of some sort. 

15 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

It was a drone that looks like a person. See my previous post and watch the videos. ;)

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

For a few grand, an r/c modeler can build almost anything, hide airfoils and control surfaces inside the model, and make it fly. 

I’ve seen Snoopy on his dog house flying air to air with a Red Baron tri-wing. More than once, creative types have built Superman look-alikes.  I even saw somebody fly a kitchen sink because a buddy had joked “You’ve modeled everything but...”

With today’s engines and transmitters, I have no doubt this is an r/c model of some sort. 

It seems everyone is assuming a traditional jetpack. There is at least one company that has been experimenting with ducted fans instead of actual "jets" that are said to allow up to 30-45 minutes of flight time. Interestingly, at heights up to 3000 feet, as far as the link below. Is it possible a private individual has created one? I don't know.

https://phys.org/news/2016-04-high-fast-jetpacks.html

Add to that two different airline pilots in VFR conditions, and I at least question whether they would make the visual error. I'm not saying they wouldn't, I'm simply saying I would tend to give a bit more credence to what they say they observed. Either way, whoever is responsible is potentially putting people at risk.

3 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It would then not be a "man in a jet pack" but.........

A jet in a man pack. ;)

Archived