SASS Wire Forum

People Give Me The Oddest Looks

Subdeacon Joe

I had a notification that one of my meds was ready to pick up at the Safeway Pharmacy, so I stopped by after work.  Of a change I was able to just walk right up.  Gave my date of birth and name, person looked it up and said, "Oh! We have one ready now and will have three more for you if you want to wait just a few minutes."  Sure, why not. Went to look for thermometers. Came back and as I got there a lady maybe in her late 60s had stepped up.  So, as is custom here I waited off to the side of the counter while she was dealt with and my prescriptions filled.

Lady looked at me and gestured behind her to the aisle, "Maybe you could wait there."  "Ma'am, they are working on an order for me." 
"They are working on something for you?" as if she had trouble understanding.  "Yes, Ma'am.  And this is where people usually wait."

"Well, I just wanted to keep my six feet."
I looked at her, judged the distance and said, "You're out of bayonet range."  "What?"  "You aren't in bayonet range."

She gave me a very odd look.

If I was somewhere where I thought that I had a right to be, and I was nowhere near close enough to infect anyone with the plague, but someone told me I needed to move away because I was standing too close to them?

I would tell them that if they thought we were too close, then maybe they should move over.

I'm getting more and more crotchety as the years go by.

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

looked at her, judged the distance and said, "You're out of bayonet range."  "What?"  "You aren't in bayonet range."

I'm stealing that line!!!:lol:

18 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I looked at her, judged the distance and said, "You're out of bayonet range."  "What?"  "You aren't in bayonet range."

Bayonet range...?   :rolleyes:

1506066926_20190208_185737(2).thumb.jpg.518d374e5ee61185085b3f8a7d708957.jpg

Speaking of odd looks:  I was in the hat dept of a store with another little old lady.  She sez 'that one's pretty.'  I sez 'yes, but it won't stop lead splatter.' 

18 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........... just swing your walking stick in their general direction; if it hits them THEY are too close to you.

:ph34r:

He lives in California.

That could get him 100 years in the electric chair.

A husband and wife team owned a combo Knick-knack shop (catering to ladies) car inspection.  I took my car there to get it inspected.  Husband instructed me to go inside his wife’s shop to pay.  No one was at the counter so I went up and waited for the wife to charge me.  The counter was long enough to fit two people.  Sure enough, a lady came up to the counter and three others lined up behind her.  The wife ignored me altogether and checked out all three ladies leaving me wondering what I did wrong.  After checking the 3 ladies, she checked me out.  Ladies first in that shop.  I never went back.

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm stealing that line!!!:lol:

Here is another:

I just can't get used to wearing a mask when I'm carrying a gun...

And at the county fair today in the ticket line, a couple insisted on a 6' distance. Outdoors. Well, fine, we gave them more space, but I could not resist:

Well, considering the amount of distance I see in front of you, wondering if you know the difference between feet and yards... (FYI, wind was 4mph from the right side of the line)

Think they gave me a funny look.

It got worse... The end of the line was also the entrance for handicapped parking at the fair, so the line had to keep opening up and reforming every time another vehicle needed access. So we let some other people cut in line ahead of us as the line re-formed... And they were not as courteous as we were. So they did not give space even when "prompted" by this couple. If anything, they got closer. Yes, we did give the same amount space to the line-cutters as we gave to that couple...

I was at Winn-Dixie yesterday. I noticed a sign on the door. You could call and give them your order, and they would bring it outside to you so you did not have to go into the store.

Not sure how they would handle the payment part of that.

This "six-foot rule" may be fine (there is some debate about that) indoors.  But outdoors I try to be at least ten to twenty feet DOWNWIND of people, depending on how hard the wind is blowing. If somebody contagious is out there, the particles could theoretically be dangerous farther than six feet!

Stay well, Pards!

12 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

This "six-foot rule" may be fine (there is some debate about that) indoors.  But outdoors I try to be at least ten to twenty feet DOWNWIND of people, depending on how hard the wind is blowing. If somebody contagious is out there, the particles could theoretically be dangerous farther than six feet!

Stay well, Pards!

Uh...wouldn't you want to be UPWIND, so that their spit moves away from you?

Well, YES! I'd prefer to be Upwind of people, but if I happen to have no choice, then I'd want to be as far downwind as possible.  "They" say that masks only keep you from infecting someone else, but wearing a mask to prevent you from picking up the virus is MUCH better than not wearing a mask.  And, if you wear both a mask and a face shield (I wear a face shield I use to use when machining on my lathe) is even better.

Stay well, Pards!

On 8/31/2020 at 8:55 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I had a notification that one of my meds was ready to pick up at the Safeway Pharmacy, so I stopped by after work.  Of a change I was able to just walk right up.  Gave my date of birth and name, person looked it up and said, "Oh! We have one ready now and will have three more for you if you want to wait just a few minutes."  Sure, why not. Went to look for thermometers. Came back and as I got there a lady maybe in her late 60s had stepped up.  So, as is custom here I waited off to the side of the counter while she was dealt with and my prescriptions filled.

Lady looked at me and gestured behind her to the aisle, "Maybe you could wait there."  "Ma'am, they are working on an order for me." 
"They are working on something for you?" as if she had trouble understanding.  "Yes, Ma'am.  And this is where people usually wait."

"Well, I just wanted to keep my six feet."

tell her the rest of us her age and older are only trying to control our own two feet - nazis try to control the other folks feet 

Archived