SASS Wire Forum

Weird request

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

As many of you know I had a new magical pacemaker put in a week ago today.  Before I left the hospital the salesman for the company that developed and made this gizmo came by to show me his salesman's sample (dummy) of the device.  I just got off the phone with the company in Minnesota and they are sending me one of the dummys.

Now why, you may ask yourself, would FortyRod want one of those?  Simple.  I want to show it off to anyone who may be considering having such an implant....well....implanted.My request now is for information.  

Way back in my RVN days we had a lot of things given as gifts.  Many were encased in a "lucite" covering and could be worn on a chain around the neck, some were pin-backs so family could wear them, etc.  Do any of you know of a place I can get that done to my pacemaker dummy.  it's only about an inch long by three quarters wide and I would need a loop for something like a dog tag chain ro carry it on.

Thanks in advance for any help you have.

30 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

As many of you know I had a new magical pacemaker put in a week ago today.  Before I left the hospital the salesman for the company that developed and made this gizmo came by to show me his salesman's sample (dummy) of the device.  I just got off the phone with the company in Minnesota and they are sending me one of the dummys.

Now why, you may ask yourself, would FortyRod want one of those?  Simple.  I want to show it off to anyone who may be considering having such an implant....well....implanted.My request now is for information.  

Way back in my RVN days we had a lot of things given as gifts.  Many were encased in a "lucite" covering and could be worn on a chain around the neck, some were pin-backs so family could wear them, etc.  Do any of you know of a place I can get that done to my pacemaker dummy.  it's only about an inch long by three quarters wide and I would need a loop for something like a dog tag chain ro carry it on.

Thanks in advance for any help you have.

Definitely a weird request.  You may want to call around to places that do trophies, awards and the like and see if they can can do it.

Doublestick tape it to your chest. Then ask people if they wanna see your pacemaker. :D

Make a leather pouch for it. It would go nice with your fringe jacket. Kinda like percussion guys carry their capper.

F.R. my first thought would be one of those vendors who sell all the office gizmos, gadets, etc.
We had a gal like that in our Leads Club.
I will send her an email and see if she has any info.

My client came back. said to look for "promotional products distributors" in your area.

I also reached out to our lodge secretary... Scottish Rite encloses our initiation rings in a triangle of acrylic.
This sounds like what you want to do.

Our lodge secretary makes signs, and that sort of promotional stuff as well.
I will post back here, if I get an answer.

Howdy,

There used to be a bar where all sorts of things were covered by this plastic.

I always wondered if there was a chemical to turn it liquid again and 

retrieve the items.

Best

CR

On 8/31/2020 at 2:07 PM, Chantry said:

Definitely a weird request.  You may want to call around to places that do trophies, awards and the like and see if they can can do it.

That would be my starting point. 

• 2 weeks later...

local jewelry store does trophies and such.  I should have it back in about a week.

Went to the doctor for my first check up since the surgery.  I'm 100%.  I don't remember being 100% at anything in ages.

Manufacturer's rep was there and he's going to try to get another dummy sample for me.  I may have it encased in something for the doctoer.

Gut that just moved in next door told me he worked for Medtronics (the people who made this thing)and worked on one of the first pacemakers.  told me it was the size of a hockey puck or maybe a snuff can.  He's dumfounded over this new one. 

It's almost exactly the length of a .22 long rifle cartridge and only about 5% wider, not counting the hooks at the bottom to attach it inside the heart.

I'll send pictures.

I found out today that the device is about $12,000.00 not including hospital fees and doctor & staff costs.  Half the cars I've owned haven't cost that much.  I also found out that almost all f them inserted before mine were considered test subjects and there are very few out there.

Archived