SASS Wire Forum

Does this really work?

Lawdog Dago Dom

Article claims you can claim South Dakota residency by spending the night. I realize it's a few years old, but is this possible/legal?

Anyone do this?

Any cowboy lawyer opinions are welcome.

Gotta have cheaper plates than Illinois.

https://interstellarorchard.com/2012/11/12/setting-up-south-dakota-residency-for-rvers-1/

Not worth it in my opinion, Colorado started cracking down on out of state tags a couple o& years ago.

many states  will hammer you if you have an out of state tag and have been living in the state for 90 days or more unless you’re military.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:53 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not worth it in my opinion, Colorado started cracking down on out of state tags a couple o& years ago.

many states  will hammer you if you have an out of state tag and have been living in the state for 90 days or more unless you’re military.

When I worked a Ford Aerospace i(L3 now) in Palo Alto in the mid 70's every once in a while a vehicle w/CA Gov plates would drive down every aisle in every parking lot photographing out of state license plates.  Then a marked car would come back a few days later & place citations on the windshields.

2 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

When I worked a Ford Aerospace i(L3 now) in Palo Alto in the mid 70's every once in a while a vehicle w/CA Gov plates would drive down every aisle in every parking lot photographing out of state license plates.  Then a marked car would come back a few days later & place citations on the windshields.

Now they just run every plate they see through computer software.  This will show registered owners location, any outstanding citations/warrants against the registered owner. It will also cross check for current residency/power/water/utility billings. Also checks for CCW and may well designate you as "a heavily armed citizen" and throw in hunting/fishing licenses as well.

All at the speed of light!

On 9/1/2020 at 8:19 AM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

This is mostly done for full-time RVers.  Since they live in campgrounds and move frequently, they wouldn't normally stay in one state long enough to fall into the residency tax trap.

This is pretty much what I've read/learned from a few folks who live "off the grid" as full time nomadic RVers.

Archived