SASS Wire Forum

Breech block slippage

NettlesWorth

This is primarily for 'Three Foot Johnson', but if anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to join the conversation.  I am suffering the same problem that you experienced with my Spencer breech block coming out of the receiver when I work the trigger guard to eject the spent cartridge and push a loaded one into the receiver. I believe your solution to the problem is ideal. I plan to follow your lead. Can you share more details on the washer size and thickness you used?   

Appreciate it! 

NettlesWorth 

My washer is .628" in diameter, .449" hole, and .038" thick. The breech block is .644" wide, so I probably made it sixteen thousandths smaller because it was interfering with the spring...?

Those two screws that hold the firing pin slide come loose too, and then you can't close the action. Take 'em out, clean the screw & threads good, and Loctite 'em. Be careful, or you'll glue the slide to the block. I had my barrel come loose at a match once too :D I unscrewed it when I got home, cleaned the threads good, squirted some Loctite on 'em, screwed it back in, and it's been fine ever since. 

Spencer01.jpg

Spencer02.jpg

Spencer03.jpg

Archived