SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Jam, causes and fixes please

Sheriff Sam

today is the first time dealing with the marlin jam where the cartridge comes out to be lifted and seated but gets stuck, was one hell of a jam.... primer side of shell was elevated but seemed like the lead was still stuck into the tube.... help please... here or email me at jasonleibyusmc@icloud.com......

Thank You 

Sheriff Sam

The easiest problem to fix is to make sure the screws are tight. The screw in the trigger plate ahead of the lever is notorious for coming loose.  1/8 turn loose is enough to cause the jam you describe.  

The more serious problem is wear on the cam area of the carrier.  This condition and repair options have been covered a number of times here on the Wire and other forums. 

Good info copied from this thread.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:19 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

WHEW..... I know the answer but typing it out might be difficult for me to explain....... but here goes.

When you start lowering the lever, the snail cam starts to rotate upwards on the carrier timing ramp.

Simultaneously, your cartridge will ride the flat edge of your lever back until your lever is vertical inside the

receiver.   Then the cartridge will fall onto the carrier.

While all of this is going on, the carrier continues to rise allowing the BODY of the cartridge to come thru the 

portal and the FRONT of the carrier wing area will then block the rim of your next cartridge.

When the timing is too fast for longer ammo, the carrier will start pinching on the 'case mouth/bullet area'

before it can clear the portal.   This upward pinch is caused by the snail cam interacting with the timing

ramp and pushing the carrier up a little quicker preventing your long ammo from clearing the portal.

Slightly lowering that 'critical area' will keep the carrier from rising too high, too fast.

Remember, all this timing issue is in conjunction with your OAL ammo.

All this being stated,  I'm just hoping we aren't chasing a rabbit.   But your picture did verify to me

what I thought was happening and in such situations,  your effort to slightly modify that carrier ramp

should solve your issue.

If you want to see just how effective proper timing can effect the Marlin 1894, check out this video I'm attaching.

Notice the OAL variations of the ammo I'm putting in the rifle (Widdermajik), including a couple empty cases.

..........Widder

On 8/9/2020 at 1:58 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Because this thread was closely followed by a handful of Wire Pards, I want to take

this opportunity to share something about the 'myth' of the Marlin Jam.

For years, I've tried to explain to a few folks that the 'cut' area at the upper portion of the 

carrier timing ramp IS NOT the Marlin Jam.   Actually, it has very little, if anything, to do

with the Marlin Jam.   That cut only indicates where the snail cam stops as it rotates upwards

on the carrier ramp.

Think about it, if that cut was indicative of the Marlin Jam, then why did Snozzberries have the cut,

yet his problem was actually the opposite of the Marlin Jam.   

The Marlin Jam is caused by bad/slow timing in relationship to the OAL of the ammo.

The jam that Snozzberries was having was caused by a fast timing in relationship to his ammo OAL.

I Hope this helps many of you and I hope some of the mystique surrounding the 'cut in the ramp' can be

dispelled as causing the "Marlin Jam", as many Marlin shooters refer to feeding issues.

SNOZZ:  Thanks for posting all those great pics.   Ya dun gud!

..........Widder

Archived