SASS Wire Forum

#3 Russian .45 Colt - anybody have one?

Three Foot Johnson

I need a measurement -

Uberti lists their #3 Russian in .44 Russian and .45 Colt, and I'm trying to settle an argument that they are produced on the same frame and not two different frame sizes. The cylinder is so short that a normal 1.6" OAL .45 Colt will stick out the end of the cylinder by .036", so the bullet would have to be seated deeper.

If I remember correctly, they made the cylinder a bit longer and had an almost non-existent forcing cone on the barrel. However, this was years ago, so do not take it as gospel.

I'm still waiting for a .44 S&W Special with an 8" barrel from Cimarron  (Uberti New Model American per Cimarron.)....and waiting...and waiting.  Seems nothing much is coming out of Italy for a while.

I told them that if they got one in .45 Colt first I'd take it, but I'd really like one I could shoot .44 Russian through.

1 hour ago, Diego Kid #4631 said:

They are listing the .45 Colt as available now. Saw this on their website. I'm waiting for .44 Special also!!!!!!!!

They haven't notified me yet and I put my name on their list over a year ago and again at Winter Range.

This is odd. I sent an inquiry to Uberti asking how the .45 Colt could be chambered in this frame. They replied that the cylinders of of the .44 Russian and .45 Colt are the same length (1.57"), and the OAL of a .45 is 1.60". Less the .060" rim, that makes it 1.54" from the front of the rim to the end of the bullet, which would work. The problem is, all three of my .44 cylinders are 1.500+", so if the .45 cylinder is the same length, that leaves .040" of a .45 bullet sticking out of the chamber. Something isn't adding up here.

UbertiReply.jpg

Russian_01.jpg

Russian_02.jpg

Russian_03.jpg

Russian_04.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Uberti Schofield in .45 Colt, and the cylinder is juuuuussstt long enough for most factory .45 Colt loads. But if the bullet starts to back out, even a wee bit it'll stop the cylinder from turning.

I'd love to get one of the new #3 Americans once they're widely available, but it sounds like I've got plenty of time to save up my money.

I called them about three hours ago about the #1 First Model American: very few here so far, just dribbling in, so far all in ,45 Colt, non nickel plated yet.

I can wait a bit longer for an 8" .44 Special / Russian caliber.  I'd like nickel (because an original which was stolen from me thirty years ago was nickel) but I'll settle for blue as long as it is NOT CCH on inappropriate parts.....like the frame frinstance,

Archived