SASS Wire Forum

SASS Rules Refresher – Virtual Zoom Meetings

Shamrock Sadie

Join in on the SASS Rules Refresher virtual Zoom meeting!

8/302020 (Sunday) at 5 PM EDT (2 PM PDT)

• I know it’s a short notice, but making it available if others would like to join. More virtual meetings will occur when we get a good internet connection (we’ll be traveling soon).

These SASS Rules Refresher virtual meetings are not sponsored by SASS, but independently provided by a certified RO Instructor: Shamrock Sadie (SASS Life # 78511).

Meeting Participant Limit: The Zoom meeting is limited to 100 participants, so there may be minimal interaction if greater than 15 participants. There is No Limit on the meeting time, but the instructor will try to keep it to 1 hour or less, while allowing for questions during the meeting. If the 100-participant capacity is reached, you should get a message when trying to log in that the meeting is full.

How to Join the meeting: Since the Doily Gang group is a Public Group, BUT members are VETTED as SASS Cowboys and Cowgirls, I am providing the meeting link only through the Doily Gang Facebook page (and my FB page). This is the only way to share the meeting link to limit it to SASS Cowboys and Cowgirls. I don't want hackers joining (LOL).

• To join the Doily Gang Facebook page, you will have to answer 3 questions related to SASS, I’ll review your profile, then approve if it appears you are a SASS Cowboy or Cowgirl. If can’t tell, I will not be able to allow you into the group. Join the Doily Gang Facebook page at least an hour before the meeting, so I will have time to vet new members ... thank you.
  • The Doily Gang FB page link, details of the meeting, and Zoom instructions are located here on the following “hidden” webpage: http://www.doilygang.com/rules-refreshers

10 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

That sounds like a good idea.  Maybe someday I'll get a facebook account and be a vetted cowboy. 

I was very hesitant to get on FB back in 2012, until I was seeing I was missing out on a lot of communication with family, friends, and SASS info, so I bit the bullet and joined. So I understand.

The vetted FB page was the only way I could figure this out to keep hackers from joining the call. If I said to this very large group to email me to get access, then I’d still have to vet that they were really a cowboy/girl, and possibly respond to a lot of emails (and vetting through the FB group is less time consuming than emails).

The SASS Wire is open to anyone. If there were a locked down forum that only current SASS members had access to, then I could post the info there.

If you or anyone else has any ideas of how I can get the mtg link to SASS folks and not out to the public, I would definitely look into it.

PM me and I’ll get you in on the mtg. I’ll open the forum to look at my PM alerts, but I don’t get an alert when I’m PM’d and the email notifications from the forum don’t always get to me (then it becomes logging into emails at that point - for notifications). So I might be a little slow to respond; we”re packing today for a long camping trip.

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

You can set Zoom so that people trying to join the meeting have to be approved by the host to get in.  You can also disable chat and restrict screen share to the host. 

I have that set, but when I start the mtg, that means I have to watch the requests to enter and admit when I'm talking in the mtg. (would be distracting). It would also be difficult to tell is their name is a Cowboy/Cowgirl too.

The link in the DG page has the passcode imbedded in the URL (encrypted), so that folks don't have to type in the passcode. So if I had two different communication channels (one for a URL and one for the passcode, then that would work). But the passcode would have to be separate and no indication of how to get to the URL.

I have the chat restricted too and only where I can screen share. --- but now that you bring it up, that might take care of a hacker putting inappropriate images and chats in the mtg. Anyone could still come in as long as they have the URL; the hacker could put an inappropriate emoji on the screen - ugh, hackers! My cybersecurity side of my brain is showing.

Would be good to have a separate forum with users vetted as current SASS members.

1 hour ago, Shamrock Sadie said:

I have that set, but when I start the mtg, that means I have to watch the requests to enter and admit when I'm talking in the mtg. (would be distracting). It would also be difficult to tell is their name is a Cowboy/Cowgirl too.

The link in the DG page has the passcode imbedded in the URL (encrypted), so that folks don't have to type in the passcode. So if I had two different communication channels (one for a URL and one for the passcode, then that would work). But the passcode would have to be separate and no indication of how to get to the URL.

I have the chat restricted too and only where I can screen share. --- but now that you bring it up, that might take care of a hacker putting inappropriate images and chats in the mtg. Anyone could still come in as long as they have the URL; the hacker could put an inappropriate emoji on the screen - ugh, hackers! My cybersecurity side of my brain is showing.

Would be good to have a separate forum with users vetted as current SASS members.

We're running multiple classes a day using that approach and have not had a problem with hackers since we started using it.  We ask our students/trainees to log in prior to start time so the instructor isn't having to admit people and teach at the same time.  If they don't get into the queue prior to the time the class is scheduled to start, they aren't guaranteed a spot. 

It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

We're running multiple classes a day using that approach and have not had a problem with hackers since we started using it.  We ask our students/trainees to log in prior to start time so the instructor isn't having to admit people and teach at the same time.  If they don't get into the queue prior to the time the class is scheduled to start, they aren't guaranteed a spot. 

It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. 

How do you send the class link out? Is it the same link with a recurring meeting or is it a new meeting each time with a different link? Just wondering how your students get the link. Thanks for the info.

4 minutes ago, Shamrock Sadie said:

How do you send the class link out? Is it the same link with a recurring meeting or is it a new meeting each time with a different link? Just wondering how your students get the link. Thanks for the info.

We email the link to the students/trainees.   It's a different link each time.  Be aware, one on one Zoom is free.  Multiple attendees will result in a 45 minute session time limit unless it's a paid Zoom account. 

19 hours ago, Shamrock Sadie said:

The SASS Wire is open to anyone. If there were a locked down forum that only current SASS members had access to, then I could post the info there.

It would be a good idea to have a section that was only open to current members.  Someone should figure out who can do that and then bring it up with them.  I would have PM'd you asking for a link but I'm halfway round the world and was asleep when the meeting happened. 

If other people are doing these in the next couple weeks, I would like to join in.  I'll be home in Friday. 

On 8/30/2020 at 4:06 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

We email the link to the students/trainees.   It's a different link each time.  Be aware, one on one Zoom is free.  Multiple attendees will result in a 45 minute session time limit unless it's a paid Zoom account. 

I put up the money to buy the Pro Zoom so I’m not locked into 40-minute refreshers and so I could record in the cloud.

Archived