SASS Wire Forum

They were’t there for long

Utah Bob #35998

Funeral detail this morning for a local vet who passed away this week. Our cemetery Is off the highway and bordered by large ag fields. A very peaceful pastoral setting. With the service completed, I prepared the rifle squad to fire the traditional 3 volleys. As they came to the aim position, I noticed 3 mule deer grazing in the field just beyond the fence. Nothing I could do but give the command to fire. And again. And again.
I later commended the guys for not cracking up as the mini herd  was rudely interrupted in their brunch and took off for parts unknown at warp speed at the barking of 5 M1s aimed in their direction. They seemed to accelerate with each succeeding volley. I think they may still be running. I also think the departed vet would have enjoyed it.

I used to shoot a lot of NRA High Power at a local club where the 200yd backstop was cut into a hill. We had just finished the prone rapid fire stage when somebody pointed at the top of the back stop. There looking down was the nicest 6 point buck you ever saw. 8 M1's firing 10 rds each in 60 seconds didn't seem to faze him one bit. 

Shooting at a friends' ranch in AZ, the cattle would wait for us to stop shooting and would hightail it behind the berm to a stand of trees about a hundred yards away, then when they wanted to go back they would wait until we stopped and go back the other way. 

At the San Gabriel Valley Gun Range years ago they were getting things ready to start the day. The range wasn’t hot yet, but everyone was at their benches waiting for the range master to allow us to shoot at the targets we had all set up when a small herd of Muley’s made their way across the hillside just beyond the 100 yard range. 
Everyone stood or sat and watched as they slowly made their way. 
One guy joked about shooting one. 
The Range Master joked about banning him for life if he did. 
Once they were out of sight the Range Master had everyone wait a few extra minutes and then allowed us to shoot. 
There were 9 deer in all. A buck, some does and a couple large fawns. 

Archived