SASS Wire Forum

What does a TaSER sound like when it's fired?

Alpo

Book, and the book is wrong because in the time period the story is happening, a TaSER looked like a flashlight.

The good guy - witness - had heart problems. Had already had one heart attack. The bad guy pointed what appeared to be a gun at him and fired. The good guy's wife heard the gunshot. The good guy saw the "gun", heard the gunshot, felt the bullet hit him, had a second heart attack and died.

But there was no bullet hole. They decided it had to be a TaSER.

Talking about it in the story they say that it sounds about like a 22 going off. That's not what it sounds like on television, but they could make it sound like anything on television.

That's what I said. The story is taking place in 1973. The book said it looked like a gun. I said the book was wrong because back then it looked like a flashlight.

26 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's what I said. The story is taking place in 1973. The book said it looked like a gun. I said the book was wrong because back then it looked like a flashlight.

Yeah they were big and looked nothing like a gun at all.

A29FB986-BB0F-491C-AA71-A2443323F60B.jpeg

I know what book you are referring to, keep in mind that the wife in the story has no knowledge of firearms or what they sound like when fired.

6 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

All I've ever heard was a loud click like a rat traps being set off and then the ticking of the electrical pulse. Most of the time all I felt was a tickle and a burning sensation where it hit. 

Which end were you on?  :)

15 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

What fired the barbs?  If it was compressed air or some sort of blank cartridge, both of those could sound like a gunshot. 

Or was it s spring? 

Compressed gas. Maybe nitrogen but I'm not sure. Makes a soft pop. Not like a gunshot.

Followed by a loud scream sometimes....

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That was just BEEYOOTIFUL!

Anyone who has received taser training has seen a bunch of hilarious and some serious videos. Now when you are tased in training they usually just tape the barbs on you and you will have someone holding you on both sides so that you don't fall and get hurt. The older training videos guys would just hit the deck with no support until they realized people were getting hurt. You see all kinds of reactions from people when the juice hits them.

We had a little party with our wives and they got to see how their husbands reacted when they showed the videos.

9 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Well if I wasn't on the receiving end I wouldn't be able to tell ya it tickles and burns a bit lol. 

Tickles and burns?? You must have a bid red S on your chest!

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Tickles and burns?? You must have a bid red S on your chest!

Being tased is like taking in tear gas. Everytime it happens to you it bothers you less. The last time I was tased the squad car footage was on YouTube for a day. I wish I could have downloaded it. The look on the officers face was priceless when I didn't go down. 

1- TASERs today resemble the design of a gun, and to operate in a similar manner.  The TASER company (Axon Incorporated) even states that in their training because police officers are familiar with the use of handguns (I was an instructor back in the day!).  TASER is an acronym as well as the name of the device ; it is specific to one device, not every stun gun, and they did not exist in 1973.  The company was incorporated in 1993.  So the stun gun to which you refer is *NOT* a TASER.

2- With the TASER, the cartridge is held under pressure with nitrogen gas.  When fired, it makes a "POP" that does sound similar to a .22 being discharged.  The loudness of the pop depends on the range of the cartridge; the longer the range, the more pressure, the louder the pop.  My department used the longest range available, 25 feet, which is why it was much louder than the ones in the videos people have linked on here.  More than once I have used my TASER on a suspect to have his "colleagues" mistakenly believe I had shot him.   I used it to my advantage every time; back when we only had one shot, I would aim "that yellow gun" at them and yell, "Get on the ground or you're next!!!!"

54 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

and they did not exist in 1973.  The company was incorporated in 1993.  So the stun gun to which you refer is *NOT* a TASER

This is The Enforcer. It was released in 1976. 48 seconds into the clip. "Rollo, give me the taser gun".

From the wiki article

Jack Cover, a NASA researcher, began developing the first Taser in 1969.[10]By 1974, Cover had completed the device, which he named Thomas A. Swift Electronic Rifle, or TASER[11] using a loose acronym of the title of the book Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle, a book written by the Stratemeyer Syndicate under the pseudonym Victor Appleton and featuring Cover's childhood hero, Tom Swift.[12][13]

The first Taser model that was offered for sale, called the TASER Public Defender used gunpowder as its propellant, which led the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to classify it as a firearm in 1976.[14][15].

I had read about the Tom Swift Electric Rifle in Guns and Ammo early enough that I knew what they were talking about in that 1976 movie, when I saw it when it was first released.

In the article they referred to it as a Tom Swift Electric Rifle, which is why I spell it as I do, with a lowercase A. It was a TSER, and they added the "a" to it to make it pronounceable.

Archived