SASS Wire Forum

Pietta cylinder pin

I recently purchased 2 Pietta made SAA's.  One Great Western II & one Taylors Firearms.  The trigger pull on the Great Western is not bad but the trigger on the Taylors is terrible.  The action is typical standard 4-click on the GW but really smooth on the Taylors.  Odd!  Neither have factory action jobs.  

But I digress, the reason for my post here is the part that holds the cylinder pin in the revolver, the base pin screw & spring.  On both these Pietta's the base pin sticks out allot exposing the spring!  It really sticks out on the Taylors!  Neither is loose.  The company tried to tell me that this is normal.  On my several Colt's these base pins are in tight and the springs are not visible.  What is wrong?  Are the parts that badly manufactured on these clones?  

The pic is of the Taylors which sticks out even further than the GW.  

IMG_0440.jpg

The Pietta GWII revolvers are great guns; but I have found the replacement parts (especially the cylinder pin cross latch as you noted) do not always fit well. 

I had to replace the latch on Painted Lady's pistol and the initial fitment was exactly as you pictured.

Thinking that perhaps I had ordered or received the wrong parts; I requested another set - that fit the same way.

A little careful trimming and it now looks correct and still works correctly.  

The cylinder pin on the Pietta has two functions. If you push the pin all the way in it acts as a safety, not allowing the hammer to completely fall. In the other position it functions as the cylinder pin.

I have two of these pistols and they work just fine. the first guns I ever bought that I didn't have to work on to make right. All I have done to them is change the grips. Don't know if it makes any difference but bought them from Dixie Gun Works instead of Taylors.

Lucky

You can use a set from a Uberti or Pietta .. they just screw together and have no idea (or care) what gun they are being used in. 

Either the "male" screw is too long overall .... or ... not threaded all the way down ... or ... the "female" cap (which is on the left side of the revolver) has trash down in the hole ... or posslbly ... not machined/threaded deep enough. 

I have several Piettas and I can pull a set off of a gun ... screw them together w/o the spring and see what the overall length is if you want to compare. 

None of mine stick out that far ...

I had one Uberti that the I had to adjust because it would not push in far enough to release the base pin (the hole in the frame of the gun was  too shallow) and you always run into some that people put in backwards. 

Let me pull a set and add some measurements. 

I handled a lot of Cimarron Piettas a few years ago.  The latch stuck out far, like Marshall Cogburn's, on a lot of guns.  Seems like they got better later.  So I would say it is just a variation of Pietta parts.  I didn't like the way it looked, either.

I don't like the way it looks either.  Since they won't send me a set of replacement parts it is going back to the factory. 

Hey pard-ner.  I'm doing fine, hope you are too.  Actually haven't shot since moving out west.  Seems I missed my shooting buds more than the sport.  But I always liked shooting single-actions so I'm trying to get my wife interested in them also.  We will see...

Archived